[ 📜 ] The Ultimate Guide to Creative Platforming!

A HUGE guide by @ABCD, @Cellofive and the community

disclaimer

This is just a tug for the smaller platformer guides like “how to make a simple …” so those topics do not cause clutter. You can still make separate platformer guides but not if they are too simple

Intro
As most people know, Creative Platforming released a bit early, actually at
2024-03-18T00:00:00Z
at 10:00P.M. Eastern Time, 9:00P.M. Central Time, 8:00P.M. Mountain Time, and 7:00P.M. Pacific Time. This guide is all about Creative Platforming, and how to use it.

Are you editing?

Only edit with permission from @Cellofive or @ABCD (check when you are, uncheck when you are done DO NOT check for fun!) If there is a check, do NOT edit!

Use the pencil menu :memo: to see who edited last.

What is Creative Platforming?
For those who know Don’t Look Down, this is that, but in Gimkit creative. For those who don’t know DLD, it is a game like Mario, instead of a 2d map, it is 2.5D (that looks like 3D)

How to Create a Platformer Map
Platforming is only available to season ticket holders (currently) and will come to everyone later in the year. When creating a new Gimkit creative map, you should get the choice to create a topdown game, or a platformer game. If you have the season ticket, just click platformer and you are done!

Please note that there is no conversion method of topdown to platformer, so choose wisely.

While people without the season ticket cannot make their own platformer maps, they can get the code and edit other people’s platformers maps. And people can publish platformer maps to the Discovery for other people.

Platforming Height
Currently, there is no way to make a Platforming height overlay, and you can’t have like 1,000 zones, so the current way to do it is with a waypoint set into the ground, and have it track a location.

Warning

Please note the height is 633, not 1000.

Gravity Mode

You might be thinking, if I am bad at don’t look down, how can I create my own? On release, they have had something called gravity mode, which turns off and on gravity. With gravity off, you can fly as much as you want!
This was suggested by @Blackhole927.

Terrain and Devices in Creative Platforming
There are limited terrain and devices in Creative Platforming.

Terrain

Normal Terrain

• Catwalk
  • Dark scraps
  • Grass
  • Light scraps
  • Sand
  • Snow
  • Stone

Dynamic/Breakable Terrain

• Dynamic Dirt
  • Dynamic Sand
  • Dynamic Stone
  • Dynamic Copper
  • Dynamic Silver
  • Dynamic Gold
  • Dynamic Ruby
  • Dynamic Diamond
Devices
  • Text
  • Zone
  • Relay
  • Button
  • Popup
  • Sentry
  • Barrier
  • Checker
  • Counter
  • Respawn
  • Trigger
  • End Game
  • Property
  • Repeater
  • Tag Zone
  • Waypoint
  • Lifecycle
  • Spawn Pad
  • Checkpoint
  • Item Image
  • Laser Beam
  • Questioner
  • Teleporter
  • Camera View
  • Damage Boost
  • Game Overlay
  • Item Granter
  • Item Spawner
  • Notification
  • Team Switcher
  • Wire Repeater
  • Crafting Table
  • Crafting Recipe
  • Health Granter
  • Movement Meter
  • Speed Modifier
  • Vending Machine
  • Knockout Manager
  • End of Game Widget
  • Laser Beam Manager
  • Starting Inventory
  • Item Inventory Manager
  • Damager
  • Camera Point
  • Player Cordinates

Bugs

• There is an advanced technique called Slope Jump Resetting, and it allows you to regain your normal jump and double jump back on a steep slope. The keys that need to be pressed to activate an SJR on a slope going right are [^ | > | hold < | ^ | repeat]. To activate an SJR on a left slope, invert the right and left controls.
Simplified Tutorial

When on a inverted slope follow these steps:

1. Click W or the top arrow key
  2. Click D or the right arrow key
  3. Hold A or the left arrow key
  4. Click w or the top arrow key
  5. Repeat

Switch steps 2 & 3 if on a left slope.

Special notes

• Usually platformer maps have less decoration than top-down maps. But they Don’t have to! Platformer maps are just harder to explain for some people.
  • Sentries on platformer will fall down and not stay in the air if you place them directly on the terrain.
  • If you put the checkpoint or spawn pad inside the prop or right on top of it, you may find yourself falling through the prop.

Testing

• Testing is extremely important! Jumps that feel too impossible, or are literally impossible make your game feel clunky and unplayable.

• If it is too hard to test, do it in building mode, just turn on and of gravity as needed so you don’t fall too far down. And do each jump one at a time. You don’t have to focus on doing all of it at once…if you can land the jump once its possible and move on to next jump.

• Lastly if you are set to higher or lower speed than the player will be in that part of the map, the testing will be inaccurate.

Tips

• Remember to balance your difficulty! If you have a near-impossible jump followed by a jump that is too easy, it makes playtesting slightly annoying and it reduces the quality of the section as a whole.

• If you want to spice the game up, make it visible that the game is almost done by making the jumps harder and harder. This is a fun way to end.

Guides
cool checkpoint

Place down a checkpoint at the end of your level, make it have these settings

Place a red arena flag on top of it, turn off collision and put in the back layer
IMG_4379

Wire the checkpoint to the flag with these settings

Place down a blue arena flag, turn off collision and put it in the behind layer

Put a wire from the checkpoint to the blue arena flag with these settings

Turn off the visible on game start

Final product:
IMG_4388
Made by cellofive

A Flood In GKC Platforming

Tips on making your platformer more hard and better

How to decorate your DLD map

how to make walls in your platforming map

platformer style sandbox

one way collision platform

Platformer realism and customization

Movement mechanics you can add to your plaformer

How to make a sentry follow you

The Propsian Guide to Fun Things to Add to Your Platformers

How to Make Trick Platforms!

:seven: Common mistakes that can make your platformer map less enjoyable. (And how to fix them)

Creating Platformer Jumps with Math

How to make a modern city template 🏙

How to track a player's height! ft. THE PLAYER COORDINATE DEVICE 🟩

Check for more under the platformer tag!

Contributors

Only add yourself if you actually did something.

ABCD
Cellofive
Rusty
GimkitNerdlul
wait.what.626Youtube
OoGoO
Coolcaden26
William
GimGuy
Rusty
Foxboy
I_Like_Props
GKCGOAT
SirWyWy
Jobozo1875
InfiScript
Unavailible
Dodge_Fox
stars
Oso567

56 Likes

how do you do this?

1 Like

Do what?

2 Likes

what are we supposed we add to this?

1 Like

One minute, apparently abcd hasn’t edited it yet

3 Likes

@ABCD Maybe include a section:
What is creative platforming?

Creative platforming is .... your text here blah blah blah

Copy paste it from here:

<big>**What is creative platforming?**</big>
<hr>
Creative platforming is .... your text here blah blah blah
2 Likes

okay. interesting.

2 Likes

Will other people of the community (like me) be able to edit this?

2 Likes

Hmmm, the wiki has been made. I see that we agreed for the big wiki and not so many posts.

2 Likes

i added a new section to help with some questions I have seen people asking

2 Likes

shouldn’t this be a wip? (work in progress?)
also I would love to participate in filling the guide, since i have platforming acess and really want to help!

3 Likes

maybe an ideas section? with “how to make” certain things for a specific idea? ie: Idea - Mario How to make a question block

1 Like

yes it should as there is no real information yet added

i’m not in charge here but I’m sure help is appreciated.

2 Likes

yes.

1 Like

Should we add images?

1 Like

I thought we decided to make small guides by will and not one huge guide.

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest, I have NO idea what the poll even decided. Even after the poll, we were all still kinda spontaneous about it (Did I use the word “spontaneous” right?)

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeah, but look at who voted yes and no.
The majority of people that know what’s good said “no”.

That’s not what I meant, I mean, just look at who said no: Blackhole, Apoll02, WhoAmI and many more people that are very smart.

3 Likes

Well, that’s kinda the point of a poll. The people who think yes is good say yes, and people who think no is good say no. In this example, the majority said yes, and here we are.

1 Like