Creating Platformer Jumps with Math

In this guide, I’ll be explaining how to create platform jumps that take advantage of the gim’s jumping limit.

Note: this is only for 1x speed and doesn’t calculate coyote jumps
Note #2: this is for approximation only. A gim does not jump exactly 5 tiles high, and neither do they jump exactly 7 tiles wide. The real value has not been calculated yet. This is only for approximating tile placement.

A is the jumping height. B is the horizontal jumping distance. C is the path from the starting point to the end point.

Update! Thanks to @Blackhole927 , we now have more accurate numbers.

Max(a) = 4.990959167480469

Max(b) is approx 7 (not accurate)

Cm is the maximum C that a gim can ever have.

Taking note of this, we create an ellipse to show every possible combination of height and distances. (We don’t create a circle because a and b are different in values)

The equation of the ellipse is where b = x and a = y

Now, you just plug in variables into the equation.

Say you want to make a jump that is 5 blocks wide. Set x = 5, and you get 25/49 + (y^2)/25 = 1, which simplifies to y^2 = 25 x 24/49 and then you solve for y, which is 10/7 x sqroot(6), which is approx 3.5. Then you can just create a barrier with a height of 3.5 tiles.

(Note: Above calculation rounds 4.990959167480469 up to 5. for a more precise calculation use the forumla (b^2)/(4.990959167480469)^2 + (a^2)/(7)^2 = 1

Thanks for reading!

rate my w art
  • 0 (thks for being honest)
  • 1 (my goal)
  • 2 (higher than i expected)
  • 3 (woah ty)
  • 4 (yay)
  • 5 (no way my art is dis gud)
0 voters
29 Likes

NGL bro I’m entelegent and study the space time continuum but this is CRAZY nice jobe I love it!

2 Likes

10 seconds and 2 ppl are already replying.
you guys should j0in a reading competition

3 Likes

What about superjumps though?
Also, I’m pretty sure that these aren’t the most precise these numbers can get, although I like the idea. I’m not quite sure what the tile limits are, although I might be able to check.

1 Like

I like how only about 5% of us would actually understand any of this. :skull:

5 Likes

the jumps are parabolas, so this is liable to have some minor inaccuracies

3 Likes

This ia bit more in-depth than most people would have thought. But what about double jumps? those are about 1.5x the normal jump.

1 Like

oh, this guide is awesome! conic sections moment

variable a and b includes double jump

Now I gotta prove a gim can jump a 5 block gap using the Pythagorean Theorem :sob:

2 Likes

Remember:

for real :skull:

I’m talking about the distance and height values. Tiles are, in reality, a highly inaccurate measurement unit. In fact, a tile is 64 whole game units… so that’s a lot of imprecision. A gim’s jump isn’t perfectly 5 tiles, which is why I bring it up. My thought would be to redo this, but with game units instead, so that you can get extreme amounts of accuracy to find very difficult jumps.

i think its fine, right?

I would like this guide, but I’m out of likes. One thing though: Shouldn’t this be platformer? I do find this guide extremely helpful, thanks.

What? I’m so confused?

Idk lol I’m just being over the top, the guide is great as it is.

Hey @Pika_Pokemon by ‘Coyote Jump,’ You mean ‘Coyote Time’, right?

actually a crazy idea, thank you very much @Pika_Pokemon once again.

They’re the same thing.

I was jjust confused