How to Make Animation | Difficulty: 🟧

How to Make Animation | Difficulty: :orange_square:

Introduction

I’ve seen some posts regarding animation, and so I decided to go through the pain to make a meh car look like it’s driving.

Disclaimer

The reason this guide is :orange_square: is because of the repetitive work. If anyone finds a better way to do this, please tell me! I would want to know how to make this more effective. I’m making this guide because I didn’t see any others about this, and if you already knew this, then, well, nice job :slightly_smiling_face:!

Table of Contents

Original Design

For my original design, I used wire repeaters, and a LOT of wires, to make groups of props (which come together to create a car in my case) appear and disappear. The way this works is when the game starts (Lifecycle), it sends a pulse to a wire repeater. Since my object had more props than the maximum amount of wires allowed on a single device, I used multiple wire repeaters. (Note: you will need enough wires for the double number of props because one set will appear and the other will disappear.) The first set of props should be visible on game start, but the rest of the sets deactivated. Each set of wire repeaters should hide the old set and show the next set. Only the first wire repeater of each set had a delay (which for me was 0.5 seconds). I just made my design and copied it over and over again.

Upgraded Design

For the second design, I used channels and blocks instead. When the game starts (Lifecycle), it starts a repeater that runs however long you want your delay to be (mine was 0.5, again).

The repeater runs the trigger again and again, which simultaneously deactivates and activates sets of props using blocks. (Default value for Drive was zero)

To pair this up with the sets, every individual prop shows and hides in a specific order:

followed by

…until we reach the end:

Overall, it looks much cleaner. The benefit is that you can instantly change the whole setup’s delay because it all depends on one repeater. Also, it’s much faster to debug.

Optional Looping

If you want your animation to cycle, you can make it loop like this:

I used fourteen as the maximum because I had thirteen cars. You can change that number to whatever fits your needs.

Potential Uses

This system can be used in many different Gimkit Creative games, and for this guide, I made just one of the many ways this can be implemented. I made a bridge with tunnels on both sides surrounded by water. I used the looping system to make this:

If you want to see what this looks like in-game, you can see it here:

Conclusion

Turns out, animation is possible in Gimkit Creative! With some effort, you can improve your games, tenfold!

If you liked this guide, feel free to :heart: it and let me know how you implemented it in your games! Thanks for reading :smiley:!

• :blue_square:
  • :green_square:
  • :yellow_square:
  • :orange_square:
  • :red_square:
  • :purple_square:
  • :black_large_square:

0 voters

31 Likes

@ClicClac Is there any way to make the blocks in the trigger so the sets oscillate/go back and forth?

Also, does anyone know why the table of contents isn’t working? I used HTML IDs and selectors but it doesn’t seem to be working, it just adds it to the URL.

6 Likes

Great Guide!

Also, I don’t know why the HTML IDS don’t work.

3 Likes

Thanks @mysz! I bet @Zypheir knows…

6 Likes

To oscillate why don’t you just do it normally, but subtract one instead of add one? Use another repeater and trigger. When the property is greater than 14, stop the repeater, and start the new repeater.

And if the property of drive < 1, set it back to one, stop the new repeater, and start the old one.

I might be wrong, but that’s how I would do it.

3 Likes

Yeah, but I was wondering if that was possible in the current setup for my knowledge. Thanks anyways, @mysz, you’re always so positive!

5 Likes

wdym by “possible in the current setup”?

2 Likes

No new repeaters, just one and only one trigger.

3 Likes

Okay. Let me think about with one repeater, and trigger…

2 Likes

Nevermind

2 Likes

Nevermind it was a dumb question.

3 Likes

Nice guide!

3 Likes

Thanks @Im_Pretty_Cool!

6 Likes

Great guide!ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

1 Like

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, I had a cleaning day. Nice guide, by the way!

4 Likes

Appreciate it @PotionMaster and @ClicClac

3 Likes

Very useful guide!

3 Likes

Awesome guide!
(extra)

2 Likes

I haven’t tried using something like that before, but I notice that every emphasized header except for the ones that you’re referencing have icons/URLs that can be used to link to specific contents.

The format is [header-name]-[header #], but you can’t just type in /original-design-5 and have it link to the correct header. There has to be an already-established header ID present for the URL to reference (I’m not sure how exactly this webpage does that, but it’s obvious that the URL extension is dismissed as being nonexistent). Is there an option in the topic-posting settings that allowed you to manually create those header links, or was it done automatically? The reason it isn’t working is because there are no pre-set header links for the table of contents to reference; that’s why the webpage doesn’t acknowledge it as being valid.

6 Likes

I like how the blue difficulty is used.

2 Likes