Using 2.5D (Isometric) projection to emulate Don't Look Down

Continuing the discussion from I don't know how to make my map like Don't Look Down:
Any ideas or contributions? Feel free to edit.

So a while ago, this post was made showcasing a 3D 2.5D art libary.

Basically, this can be thought of as a 2D side-scroller with a form of tilt added inwards to emulate the 3D effect. There have also been guides showing how to emulate jumping. I have linked a few guides below to help showcase this:

All of them have a problem though. We are dealing with an isometric view which may make the simulation of jumping unclear. However, emulating jumping is one thing to get this dealt with.

Next, we need to deal with making obstacles. How? Maybe make an insta-kill for the ā€œholesā€ and then simulate jumping to bypass the insta-kill.

So you know the game, Marble Madness? Well, a 2.5D Donā€™t look down can be based off that game, and we can take inspiration from that game and use it as a baseline to expand on simulating DLD. Why Marble Madness? That is a 2.5D game like the 3D art libary, and Marble Madness can be though of as a 2.5D Donā€™t Look Down with a Z axis.

Here is a screenshot from the game.
Marblemadnessscreenshot
You can see what isometric projection looks like in itā€™s glory. If you think about it, there are three axes.

X, Y, and Z.

We donā€™t need to use the Z axis for a reason. Why? Donā€™t Look Down is a 2D game, and 2.5D can use a Z axis, yet we donā€™t need the Z axis for 2D games. Therefore, this concept can be used to get ideas on a 2.5D Donā€™t Look Down. That is all I need to mention about how we can get DLD to work in a 2.5D space.

But wait, what is Isometric projection?

Isometric projection is a method of drawing in 2D that can be used to visualize in 3D. The three axes, X, Y, and Z appear in increments of 120 degrees. This is just the simple concept of isometric projection, but it can get a lot more complex than that.

Feel free to read an article on isometric projection:

Remember Gimkit?

The 3D art libary uses isometric projection to reach this goal.

Wait: Where is the Z axis?

It does not exist. Why does it not exist?

Well, Itā€™s not there. The X axis is facing to the right, and both Y and Z match. This means we have no clear indication of Z axis. The Z axis is non-existant because it clearly could not be displayed properly.

We can still accomplish this goal. All we need is some 3D layering, effort, and enough memory and effort.

Alternatives

If you want a simple 2D version, this guide sums it up. Itā€™s really easy but doesnā€™t have any gravity or jump mechanics.

8 Likes

Mmm cool!! This is so interestingā€¦

1 Like

This pinged me for some reason idk. But Iā€™m not remaking my nearly completed guide with these jump sims so mine will just be different. But these are good too.

1 Like

i always thought dld was based on ĀØgetting over itĀØ cuz it was a lot like that but interesting guide might lead to groundbreaking things

My friend said itā€™s Only Up but Gimkit.

yeah anyways lets try and not get off topic but still 2.5D dld might be possible just would require a lot of layering and complex mechanics

I have edited this post.

Continuing the discussion from I don't know how to make my map like Don't Look Down:
Any ideas or contributions? Feel free to edit.

So a while ago, this post was made showcasing a 3D 2.5D art libary.
3D Art Library (Post here)
Basically, this can be thought of as a 2D side-scroller with a form of tilt added inwards to emulate the 3D effect. There have also been guides showing how to emulate jumping. I have linked a few guides below to help showcase this:
[1ļøāƒ£] - A Simple Jump System and the Collision Concept by kyro
How to make a "jumping" system! (Difficulty: 3/10 šŸŸ©)
How to simulate jumping in GKC | Difficulty: 2/10 šŸŸ©

All of them have a problem though. We are dealing with an isometric view which may make the simulation of jumping unclear. However, emulating jumping is one thing to get this dealt with.

Next, we need to deal with making obstacles. How? Maybe make an insta-kill for the ā€œholesā€ and then simulate jumping to bypass the insta-kill.

So you know the game, Marble Madness? Well, a 2.5D Donā€™t look down can be based off that game, and we can take inspiration from that game and use it as a baseline to expand on simulating DLD. Why Marble Madness? That is a 2.5D game like the 3D art libary, and Marble Madness can be though of as a 2.5D Donā€™t Look Down with a Z axis.

Here is a screenshot from the game.
Marblemadnessscreenshot
You can see what isometric projection looks like in itā€™s glory. If you think about it, there are three axes.

X, Y, and Z.

We donā€™t need to use the Z axis for a reason. Why? Donā€™t Look Down is a 2D game, and 2.5D can use a Z axis, yet we donā€™t need the Z axis for 2D games. Therefore, this concept can be used to get ideas on a 2.5D Donā€™t Look Down. That is all I need to mention about how we can get DLD to work in a 2.5D space.

But wait, what is Isometric projection?

Isometric projection is a method of drawing in 2D that can be used to visualize in 3D. The three axes, X, Y, and Z appear in increments of 120 degrees. This is just the simple concept of isometric projection, but it can get a lot more complex than that.

Feel free to read an article on isometric projection:

Isometric projection - Wikipedia

Remember Gimkit?

The 3D art libary uses isometric projection to reach this goal.
3D Art Library (Post here) - #75 by shinyrowlet

Wait: Where is the Z axis?

It does not exist. Why does it not exist?

Well, Itā€™s not there. The X axis is facing to the right, and both Y and Z match. This means we have no clear indication of Z axis.

We can still accomplish this goal. All we need is some 3D layering, effort, and enough memory and effort.

@TimeMechanic I think I may have accidentally overridded your edit

Itā€™s okay I canceled Iā€™ll do it again.

Bump

2 Likes