The Power of Properties

Properties are perhaps one of the most useful devices in the game, and for many reasons. They can multiply many values, they are always saved, and can act as boolean values.

When you’re stuck on something, remember your properties. I just want to share a few links that heavily rely on properties right now.

These are just some of the guides that heavily rely on properties. They are your friend. Do not be intimidated by them, because no matter how confusing they are, they can make these things:

Timers
Multipliers
Infinite Addition
Notifications
Pseudo-Checkers

Also, you can use this guide to help you with them.

Let’s also appreciate something. These can be used for sentries, and capture the flag games. They can be used for money-making games. They can be used for dungeon crawler games. Basically, what I’m saying is that these “highly obscure” devices can be INCREDIBLY USEFUL.

What else is funny is that they take up 10 memory. This means that theoretically, you could have like 100 of them, and it would not matter.

Can you name a device that is as rewarding to learn as the property? I don’t think so. Why? Because they are as a description states: “a CORE device”.

So why am I making this PSA/Guide? To tell you that no matter how hard it may seem, try using properties because usually block coding and properties will help. Hey, someone made the fishing system using these good bois.

Now, let’s examine properties.

Properties store data, just like variables. But, they store it forever, and everywhere you go.

Properties can create so many games, please USE THESE!
:
Poll: Are Properties good?

• Yes
  • No(What the heck?)
0 voters

Anyways, that’s just my two cents. Speaking of that, can properties be decimals???

15 Likes

there ARE ALSO MORE GUIDES INVOLVING PROPERTIES, SORRY FOR USING MOSTLY MY GUIDES.

3 Likes

Yes - you can’t set the value of the property to a decimal by default, but you can use blocks to perform mathematical operations on the property that result in a decimal being returned. The returned value is still stored, and referencing the property later on will allow you to use that decimal value.

4 Likes

Oh yeah

3 Likes

bump :skull:

3 Likes

Great guide! Someone should probably make a PSA about relays/triggers too, as those very useful devices are mostly ignored by beginner gims.

4 Likes

Relays are huge in team v team games, and triggers are an essential part for coding and running events.

3 Likes

someone really voted that properties aren’t good :skull:

3 Likes

Checkers are OP as well, even with their issues. I couldn’t make a win condition in any of my games without them.

4 Likes

I’ve coded in many languages and is pretty good in gimkit before the checker update but what on earth is a pseudo-checker?

1 Like

Sorry that I worded that badly. It basically means because properties are so buggy, and that sometimes you don’t want to use them, instead of a checker, you could just track an item using a property and use block code to essentially “check” the amount of something. Since properties don’t work for checkers too, you could use block code in a trigger to “check” that too.

That was an unnecessary statement simply because you can also check using an inventory item manager. The thing though, is that properties take up a lot less memory, and can check themselves.

3 Likes

yeah that makes sense

1 Like

You can use multiple properties to store different pieces of data for what happens when you enter a zone, creating a sort of spreadsheet.

1 Like

bitty botty bumpy bump

3 Likes

bump

bibbity bobbity this bump is now my property

Properties are useful but a little tough. It might be impossible to make my coordinate system without them

1 Like

bump

Should this be a psa?

Also bump.

1 Like

No. I don’t think that it should be a psa.