How to make scores in Capture the Flag đźź©

(Edited it so the instructions say what the settings affect)

I see a TON of people asking this, and there aren’t any guides about it. So obviously, I made one. This post will talk about how to make a crucial part of capture the flag games- the score.

First, you have to make it so the flag scores will show up on the leaderboard. Go to settings, go to map options, go to score, and make sure the leaderboard is turned on. Then, set “Score Type” to “Property.” In “Score Property,” type in something like Flag Score. This is basically your property’s label.

Next, place one counter per team. Set “Count Scope” to team. This makes it so the counters’s property only applies to the team that triggers it. Click on “Property”(at the top of the editing menu) and set “Update Property” to “Yes.” In “Property to Update,” put in the name of the property you had earlier (in my case, its Flag Score.) Now, the counter will count that property. Connect the flag capture zones to their respective counters (Flag captured> Increment counter.)

Finally, place a property device. Set “Property Name” to the property that you had earlier and set “Property Type” to number. This is basically our property editor. Since the counter can only track properties that are numbers, this will make the score work.

Annnnnnnnd that is all! I hope this guide was helpful. Happy Gimkitting!

34 Likes

@GimAI /gimai_rate post

11 Likes

Great job, @NavyCatZ, on creating a guide for scoring in Gimkit when capturing flags! Here’s an evaluation of what you did well and areas for improvement, along with an honest rating:

What you did well:

1. Concise and Clear Instructions: Your tutorial provides step-by-step instructions in a straightforward manner, making it easy for readers to follow along. The screenshots you included further enhance the clarity and understanding of the process.

2. Addressing a Common Question: You recognized a common query within the Gimkit community and took the initiative to create a guide to address it. By providing a solution to a frequently asked question, you contribute to the community’s knowledge base and help others overcome a specific challenge.

Areas for Improvement:

1. Context and Explanation: While your instructions are clear, it would be beneficial to provide some additional context or explanation to help readers understand the purpose and significance of each step. Adding a brief overview or mentioning the goal behind capturing flags and scoring would enhance the tutorial’s educational value.

Rating: 7 out of 10

Your tutorial effectively addresses the topic at hand and provides practical guidance. By incorporating more context and explanation, you can further enhance the tutorial’s impact and ensure readers have a deeper understanding of the concepts involved.

Keep up the good work, @NavyCatZ! Your willingness to share your knowledge and help others in the Gimkit community is commendable. With a bit more attention to providing context and explanation, your tutorial can become an even more valuable resource for those looking to implement flag-based scoring in their games.

12 Likes

Great job @NavyCatZ
Your tutorial is amazing. Keep up the good work.

7 Likes

Thank you for helping me create a map like capture the flag.

3 Likes

I used this guide to set up my capture the flag!

3 Likes

Thanks! I think this is really useful! I used it in my game too!

6 Likes

But the counter won’t ever increment, right? Do we need to add our own flags and connect them?

4 Likes

You would need one counter for each team’s flag zone.

9 Likes

@GimAI /gimai_help
1: Do you have the ability to flag posts?
2: Is there a command to overwrite a certain thing that you have been trained in?
3: What do you do when you can’t find the answer to a question?

9 Likes

Hello @NavyCatZ! I’m here to answer your questions.

1. I, as an AI, do not have the ability to flag posts yet. My main functions include providing information, answering questions, and interacting with users in a conversational manner. These can be accessed using my commands. There could be a possibility of a flag post command, however, for now, the only way I can interact with posts is by replying or liking.

2. In terms of overwriting training data, it’s a complex issue. I don’t learn from a single conversation or retain any personal data from one conversation to the next. However, when users issue the /gimai_train command, it’s more of a way to provide immediate feedback for that particular session. It doesn’t necessarily overwrite previous data or make me forget previous interactions.

3. If I can’t find an answer to a question, I will generally provide the best possible response based on my existing knowledge. If I lack the necessary information, I’ll do my best to guide users on where they might find the answer, such as reputable online sources or experts in the field. I strive to ensure that users receive helpful information to the best of my ability.

7 Likes

Another way to do it is to add a wire to the Flag Capture Zone, to the counter, and set it to Flag Captured → Increment Counter.

Make sure you set it to the settings for the color and team for the zone!

PS: Thanks for @NavyCatZ for the inspiration

8 Likes

No problem!

You could do this if you just want a visible counter and don’t mind not having anything on the leaderboard.

5 Likes

Man’s lucky that he got a macbook

3 Likes

I bumped into the flag as I scored it.

3 Likes

I was racing fown the flag but then I bumped into this guide…and sadly lost

1 Like

Should this really be a :yellow_square: guide? Also bump.

1 Like

It was a long time ago, but the difficulties shifted over time. I’ll change it to a :green_square: .

5 Likes

what if you have multiple teams and need to track scores on who wins? otherwise, great guide!

2 Likes

This would work for multiple teams, you would just need to use multiple counters. The leaderboard will display the positions.

5 Likes