How to make _____Land ⬛

Good morning everyone! Today, I will be showing you how to make GimLand: a thrilling game that involves NO snakes, ladders, or candy, but all of the counting! This is a step up from TTT, and requires HEAVY use of blocks, causing it to have a high rating. We’re in the big leauges now. Let’s get building!

PART 0: MAP SETTINGS

Screenshot 2023-06-21 4.34.26 PM

Screenshot 2023-06-21 4.34.16 PM

PART 1: MAKING THE BOARD

Step 1: Place down 36 squares of alternating color, making sure to leave walls between everywhere somebody could skip a space and break the game.

(The only reason I’m not showing the finished version is becasue its a lot.)

Step 2: Make a circle somewhere on your map, preferably near your board.

PART 2: FINISHING THE BOARD

Step 0: Add three purple spaces at the top of the map.

Step 1: Place down a zone, change it to the same size as a space, and configure it with these settings.

Step 2: Copy it 35 times, and place one in every space.

Step 3: Place a teleporter in square 1, and configure it as so.
Screenshot 2023-06-21 4.19.08 PM

Screenshot 2023-06-21 4.18.52 PM

Copy it 35 times, and change the “Teleported here when receiving on” to Space#Landed, with # being the space it is on.

(Don’t mind the stuff at the top and bottom…
Yet.)

PART 3: MAKING THE SPINNER

Step 1: Place down the standard button-text-run-wire-pulse-block-when-pressed in the center of the spinner circle.

Step 2: Configure the button like so:

Step 3: Go into the text, and add this in a wire pulse block:

Step 4: Add six item granters, and configure them like so:

The sixth granter

The fifth

Fourth

3rd

2nd

1st

Step 5: Place a teleporter, turn off in-game visibility, and configure it like so:

Wire the teleporter to a checker, so when the player is teleported here, a check is run.

Step 6: Configure the checker like so:

Step 7: Wire the checker to a speed modifier, so when the check passes, the player is set to the configured speed.

Step 8: Set the speed modifier to 1.

PART 4: MAKING THE SOFTWARE

Step 1: Place down four relays, and configure them like so:

The 4th one

3rd

2nd

1st

Step 2: Place an item granter, and configure it like so:

Step 3: Place a checker, and configure it like so:

Screenshot 2023-06-21 5.14.00 PM

Step 4: Place a wire repeater, and connect it so if the check passes. repeat the pulse.

Step 5: Place down a speed modifier, and wire it to the wire repeater, so when the check passes, set the player to the configured speed.

Step 6: Set the configured speed to 0.

Step 7: Put down a game overlay, and configure it like so:

Step 8: Place down a property, and configure it like so:

Your software should look like this now:

Step 9: Place down a piece of text, name it TurnCounter, go into its blocks, and configure it like so:
The channel the block needs to activate on

The code itself

Step 10: Place down a second property, and configure it like so:

Step 11: Place down a piece of text, name it SpaceCounter, and configure it like so (this will take a while):
image The SpinnerRolled on the top is #1, the bottom left is #2, and the bottom right is #3.
In the ZoneEntered block:

In SpinnerRolled#1:

In SpinnerRolled #2:

Add 12 to every number on the above code, written out or number format.

In SpinnerRolled #3:

Add 24 to every number on the above code, written out or number format.

Step 12: Place down a piece of text, name it SpaceFixer, and configure it like so:

Your build should look like this:

PART 5: ACTUALLY FINISHING THE BOARD

You see that little barrier and stuff near the top of the map that I told you not to worry about? Worry about it now.

Step 1: Place a zone in the purple area, making sure to not have it touch the blue square before it.

Step 2: Place a barrier.

Step 3: Place an item granter, and configure it as so:

STEP 4: WIRE THE ZONE TO THE ITEM GRANTER, SO WHEN THE ZONE IS ENTERED, THE ITEM IS GRANTED. AWO IS IN PLAY HERE, SO THIS WIRE MUST BE FIRST.

Step 5: Place a checker, and configure it as so:

Step 6: Wire the zone to the checker, so when the zone is entered, the check is run. ***THIS MUST BE DONE AFTER WIRING THE ZONE TO THE ITEM GRANTER FOR AWO TO WORK

Step 7: Place an Endgame, and wire it to the checker, so when the checker check passes, the game ends.

Step 8: Place a barrier, and configure it like so:
Screenshot 2023-06-21 6.00.06 PM

Screenshot 2023-06-21 5.59.49 PM

Step 9: Copy it 35 times.

Step 10: Wire each one to an individual zone (besides the gameend one), so when that zone is left, the barrier is activated.

Step 11: Place down a counter, and configure it like so:
Screenshot 2023-06-21 6.17.58 PM

Step 12: Place a barrier over the entrance, and wire it to the counter, so when the counter reaches its target value, the barrier is disabled.

And that’s it! This was suggested to me by @WhoAmI, so go pay him a visit. This took forever, but I finished it before my birthday, so HOORAY!
What should this guide be rated?

• 1/5 (:green_square:)
  • 2/5 (:yellow_square:)
  • 3/5 (:orange_square:)
  • 4/5 (:red_square:)
  • 5/5 (:purple_square:)
  • 6/5 (:black_large_square:)

0 voters

Anyway, happy building!

-ClicClac

67 Likes

The finished build:

This is a four team game. Making this with a diffrent number of teams would be another guide.

61 Likes

Hooray is mispelled, I’m pretty sure, and nice job!

27 Likes

Phenomonal Guide!!! Absolutely the reason why the forums are so good!!!

27 Likes

Thank you so much!

31 Likes

Should difficulty (:black_large_square:) be official?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

29 Likes

Vaguely, but not to be overused.

25 Likes

I have accomplished VAST forum change.

Can we get the #Art catagory now?

32 Likes

This is an extremely incredible game. Congratulations @ClicClac, for you have not blown, but completely obliterated my mind with your pure amazingness.

27 Likes

Yeah, stunning guide. This must have taken ages to make!

34 Likes

One thing you have to factor in is the amount of patience you need to pull this off.
again well done!!!

34 Likes

Thank you guys so much! The game DID take a long time, yes, but there were three major timesinks. #1 was keeping the chain of what should happen when straight. #2 was coding all the almost identical things by hand. #3 was unsurprisingly, wiring and debugging. Seriously, thank you so much for all the compliments. I’m super thankful, and they really do mean a lot.

29 Likes

This is straight up ridiculous. Very impressive. @ClicClac

30 Likes

Uhhh… It looks like I forgot about the first property when writing this. That property was labeled TurnCounter, was globally updated, and started on 0

30 Likes

oops lol
(extra characters)

28 Likes

@ClicClac A beautiful guide, this is a really nice game that is just amazing! Keep up the great work…

27 Likes

I haven’t tested it much, but I think you could simplify a lot of the code by using concatenation instead of if-else loops - you might have to change some of the broadcast names to contain numbers in numerical format instead of numbers in text format (‘5’ instead of ‘five’), but I’m sure that’s possible. The same is true with other code blocks that involve if-else loops - so long as the numbers are the same, the process should work. Then this…

… could become this.

Just a thought. Hopefully it works with this game, but I haven’t really tried testing it yet :I

32 Likes

Can you explain this? This could save me SO much time please all my time is taken up by if-then loops

26 Likes

@Zypheir, what is the third line of text for? I can reasonably guess what the first two are for, but I have no idea what the third one even does.

24 Likes

Wait I’m stupid I was overthinking it

25 Likes