-= ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—Ÿ๐—ฒ๐—ด๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐——๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—–๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜„๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—š๐˜‚๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ =- (Part 1)

Welcome to The Second Edition of The Dungeon Crawler Guide

A while back I made The Ultimate Dungeon Crawler Guide based on my gimkit creative game, Gim Dungeon. A few months later I started work on another game Gim Dungeon: Immersion, another dungeon crawler designed to be a lot better than the first. This is the legendary guidebook for itโ€ฆ

Warning: This guide is much harder than the old one, this is meant to be for skilled members of the gimkit community, Iโ€™ll still try to make it as simple as possible, however this goes much more in depth and adds significant additions that might be confusing for some.

Note: Only the basics section of the guide is complete, it takes a while to make this sort of thing and Iโ€™m not sure if I should put in the effort if not many people want this sort of thing, if you do PLEASE tell me because then I might actually finish it.

The Legendary Dungeon Crawler Guide Containsโ€ฆ
(Click the arrow to see the tutorials)

---------[Basics]---------

1. The Menu Screen - (Game Modes, Lobby)

Every game (at least that I make) starts with the most valuable and essential part first: The Title Screen. This screen is what players will see first when they enter the game, so you want to make it feel as grand as possible. If you are unsure what a title screen is, it is basicly a place where players can modify and start the game in order to get the best experience possible. For this Title Screen we will be creating a simple start button, a way to change the difficulty of the game, as well as the lobby for all of the non-host players!

To get started we are going to need to build two rooms, one with enough space for the host to walk around and press a few buttons in order to change how the game works, and the other room for the players to wait for the host to start the game. Here is an example:

โญ- Device Discovered: Spawn Pads

Spawn Pads are a device that is essential for almost every game, allowing you to choose where people start the game at, or even where they respawn when they get knocked out!

โญ- Device Discovered: Triggers

Triggers are one of the most useful devices due to their ability to be stepped on to trigger different events and contain powerful block code!

โญ- Device Discovered: Teleporters

Teleporters allow players to be instantly transported to different parts of the map and can even be used to make some rudimentary vehicles!

โญ- Device Discovered: Buttons

A simple but effective device, the button allows for an easy activation method that players can interact with in game, making some interesting events play out!

โญ- Device Discovered: Text

Text is great for telling players interesting locations and describing their situation!

This picture shows the basic menu screen that only the host can see due to the use of a spawn pad, this spawn pad should be set so that only the host spawns and it should bring them there at any phase of the game (pre-game and in-game). This is so that once the game starts, the host can interact with the buttons and choose what gamemode they want and when to start it!

This next picture shows an example of the lobby, where the players are stored until the host starts the game:

This image shows the lobby that the players will spawn in, the room doesnโ€™t need to be anything fancy, just an area for people to wait in.

Now it is time for the interesting stuff, the gamemode selector! This is a bit more complex than the stuff before so get prepared. Here is a small example of the room you could make:

โญ- Device Discovered: Barriers

Barriers can be used to block places off using an invisible force, or a decoration for neon lighting!

โญ- Device Discovered: Properties

Properties are super useful and act like variables that can only be modified by code blocks!

โญ- Device Discovered: Notifications

Notifications are used to alert different users about almost anything you could want!

After building the gamemode selection room and making it so that you can teleport here with the press of a button (in the menu screen make it so that pressing the gamemode button teleports you here) add a button near each gamemode in order so that the host can press the button for the difficulty they want to chose! Pressing a button will activate a trigger that uses some code like this:
This code is basicly changing the value of the gamemode property (see the picture above this one to see the property), for selecting easy mode the property will be changed to the number one, for normal mode its two, hard is three, and so on. This makes it so that if we ever want to check for what the difficulty is set to we can just have an if statement that looks at the property!

End of The Menu Screen Guide

2. The Tutorial

The tutorial is an essential game piece that can be easy or hard to implement depending on what type of tutorial you want to have, if you want the game to teach the player then you donโ€™t even really have to have a set space for the user, however this often makes the player quit due to not understanding the mechanics fully. For this guide Iโ€™ll be showing you how to make a simple and easy to understand in game tutorial with props!

Here is an example for a simple tutorial room you can make, inspired by the classic tutorials that official gimkit games often have:

While this tutorial shows the basic mechanics that players need to know, it also leaves features out in order to not overwhelm the user. This is not as important for gimkit creative games as they are often very simple, however the majority of the audience are kids so they might not completely comprehend what your game is about! In addition to describing the game, you might want to have images shown in order to make it even easier to understand your idea! To make the experience as enjoyable as possible you will want to find a good balance!

End of The Tutorial Guide

---------[Advanced]---------

3. The First Rooms - (Decoration Tips, Destructible Props)

COMING SOON

4. The Dungeon Mechanics - (Incentivizing Gameplay, Managing Ammo)

COMING SOON

4. The Merchant Shop - (Fair Pricing, Loot Tables)

COMING SOON

5. Knockout Streaks (More Dungeon Mechanics)

COMING SOON

6. Dungeon Stability (More Dungeon Mechanics)

COMING SOON

---------[Mastery]---------

7. How to Conserve Memory

COMING SOON

8. Randomly Generated Levels

COMING SOON

9. The Final Boss - (Special Attacks, Balancing Difficulty)

COMING SOON

---------[Other]---------

10. How to Create a Game Trailer (Recording, Editing Basics, How to Youtube Somewhat Successfully)

COMING SOON

Do you think this guide explained things well?

• Yes
  • Kinda
  • Not Really
0 voters

Do you think I should finish the guide?

• Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters
21 Likes

:open_mouth:
The legendโ€™s back

4 Likes

Amazing. @Wumpus the guides you do are incredible. You first inspired me with your original Dungeon Crawler Guide, with the โ€œDevice Discoveredโ€ things that really made the guide easy to understand and fun looking. Glad to see youโ€™re back!

9 Likes

@Wumpus You definitely need to finish this guide. It is amazing!

6 Likes

Wumpus has returnedโ€ฆ
Ideas for Boss Atacks:
Sentry Spawn
Shield Creation
Slowdown Zones
Insta-respawn Zones spawning
Custom Laser Attacks

6 Likes

@WhoAmI I like that โ€œSentry Spawnโ€ Idea

3 Likes

Donโ€™t mind me, just writing a few totally original ideas down for the next Gim Dungeon gameโ€ฆ <:

7 Likes

*Snicker

2 Likes

Your old dungeon crawler is amazing! I would suggest adding a mastery system where you can do actions for weapons and ammo and points? (like leveling up).

6 Likes

Wow, this will be a good add-on to the old dungeon crawler!

3 Likes

I would add something like that to the game, however its on 99% memory and I can really only do minor things like bug fixes and stuff, however I could make a section for it on the guidebook if people are interested!

2 Likes

Oh, my RPG game is also at 99% memory. We love pushing the memory limits.

This is awesome @Wumpus! Thanks for making it!

2 Likes

Wow! @Wumpus, @Lolo, and @Cavaire3D are back! Woohoo!

5 Likes

@Wumpus Hey, there are two step 4s.

2 Likes

:scream:

2 Likes

Oops, Iโ€™m not sure how that happened lol

1 Like

Please, I beg you to finish this guide!

1 Like

Update hopefully coming next month!

3 Likes

Uh, you canโ€™t edit a guide after 30 days.

3 Likes