Bob's Tips and Tricks for Map Making!

Intro

There are many maps on discovery. But nowadays they are all just spam, and have little to no effort whatsoever. So today I will show you my tips and tricks to making maps!

Disclaimer: This guide is a wiki so I can have infinite editing time. Only tl2 + can edit this.

The tips and tricks

No Leaderboard

This one is actually VERY common. The leaderboard shown on game end is shown as 0 for everyone. It is impossible to get points and win. This just makes the game seem unprofessional and not high quality.

The fix
Just go into the map settings, and set the leaderboard settings. :exploding_head: Its so simple, I’ve seen very high quality maps with this fatal flaw.

Horrible Thumbnails

What’s wrong with this? The thumbnail it’s a picture of a real life person, which is banned.

The Fix
Make sure all your thumbnails follow the community guidelines. And ask someone to make one for you, if you don’t know how to make one!

Simplicity

This one is self explanatory. The game is so simple, that you can beat it in seconds.

The Fix
Make it long, and harder as you go! But not too hard, to the point where it is impossible. Make players work to accomplish the goal, but don’t make it repetitive.

Layering

The layering in the game is bad, look at this thumbnail I found:

It has no layering.

The Fix
Layer your things correctly!
The Power of Layers
A few things you probably didn’t know about the layers menu and layering | :green_square:
If you search ‘layers’ a ton of layer guides will help you.

Bad Design

This one is one that I’m trying to improve [1]
It is just a design with no props whatsoever, and the gameplay is just boring due to the things around you.

The fix
Try to make things more detailed! And if you are not sure, ask for help, I did, and I got TONS of improvement in my infection game, and they are not even done helping!

Bad mechanisms

This one is actually very common, mechanisms don’t work. This one is a MAJOR problem, it could defeat the entire purpose of the game.

The fix
Play test your map! Multiple times. If you play test, it will show you the weaknesses and the strengths of your map.

Unoriginal

This is VERY common. You make a map that has been made before multiple times. The “escape at 3am” series is a good example.

The fix
Make a new game, never made before! Or add your own spin to it, like power-ups and such. Let your creativity run wild!

Breaking the Guidelines

This is really important, always follow the community guidelines for publishing maps on discovery, breaking the guidelines could get your map taken down and your profile permanently banned.

The fix
Make sure that everything on your map follows the community guidelines.

Having a Messy Map

Okay, this is kind of similar to the Bad Design section, but it’s really not.
It’s just a really messy map with none of your devices organized and a very-hard-to-understand map. For example, someone could have like 10000 props just around, “supposed” to be used, and it’s just a mess to get around. You could also just not organize any of your mechanics, making it harder to make the game.

The Fix
Basically, label things with invisible text devices when making the game so it’s easier to understand. And also delete things you don’t need.

-@Blizzy

Using Copyright Thumbnails

Is that Freddy FAZBEAR? Wait FNAF is copyrighted….

The fix
Make a thumbnail yourself or ask for one (give credit if you do ask for one)
-Roberta

Ignoring late j0iners

Late j0iners are rare, but important to keep note of, if someone j0ins your GKC map game late and you have nothing to adapt them to, some small or LARGE issues can happen which can put your map into a bad spotlight.
The fix
Simply have the late j0iners j0in as spectators, or use the lifecycle device (Late Player J0ins) to adapt the late j0iner into complex things.
(I cant post the word normally, sorry)

The "Rejoin" Strategy

This is an annoying thing for your gimkit game. I personally have never experienced it but have heard about this before.

Basically you make the player force to keep rejoining the game until you actually can. Like you just spawn in a box and hope that you can actually play the game.

This can be really annoying for the player and ruin the longevity the game has. Sure, they will play once, but once you squeeze all of their patience out, there’s no point in trying to get them back to play. Your game will then eventually have no more players.

The solution
don’t be a annoying person and do this, easy solution.

Other guides you should check out on the same topic!

:eight: Common mistakes that can make your platformer map less enjoyable. (And how to fix them)
Tips and Tricks for Building Your Maps - Dodge_Fox
What not to put in a gimkit map
What to do/not do when publishing

Anyways, happy gimkitting!

Contributers

If you edited this wiki to include something, add your username here.
bob_the_tomato
CustomCoaster
Gamer795_PG
Blizzy
Roberta
Txme_Lxss

1. Ask top z💀 ↩︎

8 Likes

Can i edit @bob_the_tomato ? nevermind but diff ideas

All of these are very good, and there is probably 1 section that could be helpful that I don’t see

maybe a section on saving memory could be helpful?

1 Like

great idea @PhoenixWander

I already have that in the guide, in the bad design section.

What ideas do you want to put in @G-Code549?

Hmm
Scoring System?
Maybe.

I already added that btw

No like bad and bland scoring systems

tip for actually decorating?? w

mandatory off topic: muffin

3 Likes

Something I clearly need :skull:
This room will explode was a massive fail lol

Following the community guidelines

Well, you can edit this

But what do I put?
Whateves

The problem and the fix

Noice, simple, yet powerful. But no checkmark box, that gives me hundreds of notifications

Ok let me just…

I would have added this to my ultimate guide making guide, but I ran out of editing time…
Great guide by the way!

Uh simply just become a regular and turn it into a wiki.
Problem solved!
Also @bob_the_tomato can I add a contributor section?

Yeah, add that, when I edited, I was originally going to do that but I forgot -_-

2 Likes