How to Make Stairs: Difficulty 1/10 or 🟦

Introduction:

Today, I saw this guide here:

Anyways, either I have a skill issue or this guide is wrong, but I could literally not understand it. I tried replicating it and nothing happened. Anyways, I get the gist of the guide and I kind of want to make a simplified version.

Key Idea: I will try to make “stairs” that give the feeling of actual stairs.

There will be no steps to this guide. Sorry.

The Idea:

You can pretty obviously create stairs with layered boardwalk terrain.

Take a look at this:

We can essentially tack terrain on top of other terrain if we use layers.

Let’s try it.

The Teleporters:

Take a look at this stacked terrain.

Sure, five steps are good, but we want more. One way we can do this is by using teleporters and camera views.

Example: For my game, I want a 15-step staircase.

Well, first of all, I’m going to duplicate the “structure” of the terrain 3 times to make 15 steps. This is what it should look like:

To avoid letting the player walk or see the other staircases, let’s use invisible barriers and camera views to hide the other parts of the staircase. Put a camera view at the entrance too to hide the other staircases when you walk into the first part. It should look like this:

Finally, put teleporters at the end of staircase 1, the beginning of staircase 2, the end of staircase 2, the beginning of staircase 3, and the end of staircase 3.

Teleporter 1 should teleport you to the second set of stairs. Teleporter 2 should teleport you to the 3rd set of stairs, and the last teleporter should send you upstairs.

Everything should look like this:

Final Message:

I hope you enjoyed this guide! Sorry for not including steps.

Overall, check out @Im_Pretty_Cool’s guide that was made before mine. It was also super good.
Happy Gimkitting!
-@mysz

Exit Poll:

Please complete this poll before exiting:

What Difficulty Should This Guide Be?
  • 0/10 or :blue_square:
  • 1/10 or :blue_square:
  • 2/10 or :green_square:
  • 3/10 or :green_square:
  • 4/10 or :yellow_square:
  • 5/10 or :yellow_square:
  • 6/10 or :orange_square:
  • 7/10 or :orange_square:
  • 8/10 or :red_square:
  • 9/10 or :red_square:
  • 10/10 or :purple_square:

0 voters

Once again, goodbye, and Happy Gimkitting!
P.S. Downstairs is very similar. You should be able to figure it out.
-@mysz

5 Likes

Cool guide!

haha that is funny great guide

bump

1 Like

You could have a property that counts how many times the person has crossed and use the same set of stairs each time.

But what is that for?

It teleports back to the same set of stairs until the counter reaches the target

Yeah, that would work. However, this guide was made when I sucked, so…

boomp (mysz’s oldest open guide)

woah pi, this is great and very informative!! now i know How to Make Stairs: Difficulty 1/10 or :blue_square: because i didn’t before, thank you so much!!!

Cool guide, pi!
I would recommend adding 0.3 transparency rectangular barriers (no border) to make “shadows (shdws?)” under each step to make it seem more 3D.

1 Like