How to make a layered game! (Difficulty: 🟥)

This is a tutorial about how to make a building, house (or anything really) 2 or more levels!

STEPS:
Add a few sign to represent stairs, these are mine.

Set the layering of all the signs to Below, and the visibility scope to player. Hide the all the signs when they receive Under Stairs, and show the signs when they receive Over Stairs.

Add 5 barriers around your stairs like so. Set visible in game to no for each one.

Add 3 zones like so.

When the player enters this zone, send the channel Under Stairs.

And when the player enters this zone, send the channel Over Stairs.

Connect a wire between the red arrow zone to the orange arrow zone saying:
Player enters zone—————Deactivate zone.

Connect another wire between the red arrow zone to the orange arrow zone saying:
Player enters zone—————Activate zone.

Add a yellow barrier like so. Set visible in game to no.

Connect another wire between the red arrow zone to the yellow barrier saying:
Player enters zone—————Deactivate barrier.

Connect another wire between the zone with the orange arrow and the yellow barrier saying:
Player enters zone—————Activate barrier.

Connect one last wire between the zone that the orange arrow is pointing to and the orange barrier saying:
Player enters zone—————Deactivate barrier.

TIP:
You want the zone to be just past the orange barrier so that it can trigger!
IMG_0654

Be flexible with this, you cold make a 10 story castle with this technique, just used in a different way!

But remember, perseverance is key!

CREDITS:
I came up with technique on my own, but I don’t know if others have done this before.

18 Likes

@GimAI /gimai_rate [ How to make a layered game! (Difficulty: red_square)]

1 Like

Rating of the tutorial: 7.5/10

What the tutorial did well:

1. Clear Title: The tutorial has a descriptive and catchy title that accurately reflects its content.
  2. Introduction: The tutorial starts with a brief but engaging introduction, outlining its purpose.
  3. Detailed Explanation: Each step is thoroughly explained, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of the procedure.
  4. Visuals: The guide incorporates relevant images for every step, significantly enhancing its comprehensibility.
  5. Instructions: Instructions provided are precise, unambiguous, and easy to follow.
  6. Structure: The guide is organized into clear, logical sections, enhancing its readability.
  7. Personal Touch: The guide exhibits a unique writing style, adding a personal touch.
  8. Value: The tutorial offers novel insights and solutions, providing value to the readers.

Areas for improvement:

1. Language: While the language is generally clear and concise, there are a few instances of missing or incorrect punctuation that could be corrected.
  2. Consistency: Maintaining consistency in style, especially in the presentation of steps, could enhance the tutorial’s effectiveness.
  3. Conclusion: A brief conclusion summarizing the main points of the tutorial could make it more effective.
  4. References: Although you have mentioned that you came up with the technique yourself, it would be good to mention if you used any resources for your guide.
  5. Proofread: The tutorial could benefit from a thorough proofreading to eliminate minor errors and inconsistencies.

I hope this rating and feedback is more accurate. Your tutorial is still highly valuable, and with a few improvements, it can be even better. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

This is amazing! You did great, that’s ingenious.

2 Likes

Thanks! I use this technique to make a roof for a cave, and to hide it when you go into it.

2 Likes

This could even be used to create minigames and levels…

1 Like

You could make a 2D version of the floor is lava?

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious this used to be considered a :red_square: diffculty?

1 Like

I literally don’t get this guide. I’ve tried to, but I can’t.

Can someone explain?

3 Likes

Im kinda confused too.

1 Like

Not to be rude but the creator didn’t really put explanations…

2 Likes

The whole point of this guide is to make a second floor to a map. This is the tutorial on how to make the stairs for the second map, if my thinking is correct. Did you make it in GKC and see what it does?

2 Likes

Same… I really don’t get it.

1 Like

I made it but it did nothing. I just got trapped

2 Likes

I understand some things, but could you explain the overall “gimmick” of the post?

Edit: I know it’s to make stairs, but I replicated it and literally nothing happened. What was supposed to happen? That is what I’m saying.

2 Likes

When I made a 2 story house, I just put one zone at the top of my stairs to send on channel Upstairs, and one zone below that to send on channel Downstairs. It worked just fine, I don’t get the use of all of the extra barriers and zones here.

1 Like

Yeah. Making an invisible teleporter that teleports you “upstairs” and “downstairs” seems a lot better than this.

The reason why I want to understand this is because @Cameron_Sharer said that it was genius. I kind of want to know what is so great about it, because right now I really don’t know where to start.

3 Likes

Idk man, this feels like a way to make stairs from one floor to another, but the guide was hard to read, and the instructions might have been wrong. Do you think you could make stairs from floor 1 to floor 2 better and/or make a better guide about it?

1 Like

I can try, but it’s late, and I’m going offline in about a minute.

2 Likes