How to make memory match in Gimkit [🟧]

In this guide, I will be showing you to make a simple game in Gimkit: Memory Match! In case you don’t recognize the name, Memory Match is the game where you flip over two cards, and if you flipped over two of the wrong kind, you reflip them back to their face-down position. I will be showing you the proof of concept version (the simplest and easiest version of the game that still is the game), but the mental stretch to get the game to work with a bigger amount of cards is not that hard.

Step 1: Place down two buttons.

Step 2: Place down two barriers.

Step 3: Wire the buttons to the barriers, so when a button is pressed, the corresponding barrier is deactivated.

Step 4: Place an item granter. The type of item does not matter.

Step 5: Wire both buttons to the item granter, so when the button is pressed, you gain an item.

Step 6: Place down a wire repeater.

Step 7: Wire the SECOND button to the wire repeater.

Step 8: Add a 1 second delay on the wire repeater.

Step 9: Place down a checker, and set for it to check for two of the item that you are using.

Step 10: Wire the wire repeater to the checker.

Step 11: Wire the checker to both of the barriers, so if the check fails, both barriers will reappear.

And ta-da! You made Memory Match in Gimkit! There are a LOT of quality of life additions that can be added on to make this game better, such as adding an inventory item manager to take away the notification of gaining an item to make the game more immersive. The process of making this game bigger is as simple of duplicating this basic design for however many cards that you need, but replacing the items each time. However, for the game to work right this way, EVERY CHECK HAS TO ACTIVATE AT THE SAME TIME. As far as I know, the only limit on how many different matches that you can have on a map is the maximum amount of items a player can have at the same time. And with that, happy building!

18 Likes

@GimAI /gimai_rate [post/post_replies]

5 Likes

Thank you, William, for asking me to rate this post by @ClicClac. This tutorial post, which provides instructions on how to create a Memory Match game in Gimkit, has been evaluated based on the criteria.

Overall, I’d rate this tutorial an 8 out of 10. Here’s my breakdown:

What the post did well:

1. Clear Title: The title effectively communicates what the tutorial is about. It’s simple and directly relevant to the content.
  2. Structure: The guide is broken down into clear, numbered steps, making it easy to follow.
  3. Detailed Explanation: The author does a great job of providing detailed instructions and the reasons for each step, which helps readers understand the process better.
  4. Instructions: The steps are clear, precise, and easy to understand, which should help readers to follow along and successfully create the game.
  5. Relevance: The content of the post is directly related to the topic, which is creating a Memory Match game in Gimkit.
  6. Value: This tutorial certainly offers value by teaching readers how to create a game in Gimkit, potentially adding to their skillset and knowledge base.

Areas for improvement:

1. Introduction: While there is a brief introduction, it could be more engaging and could better outline the purpose and benefits of the tutorial.
  2. Visuals: While the guide does include screenshots, it would have benefited from more visuals, like diagrams or videos, especially for complex steps.
  3. Examples: Although the steps are detailed, providing practical examples or even a sample game might help illustrate the concepts better.
  4. Conclusion: A summary of the main points or further steps for enhancing the game could be beneficial.
  5. Interactivity: Encouraging reader engagement through questions or prompts for comments could increase the post’s interactivity.
  6. Proofread: The post could benefit from additional proofreading to correct minor typos and improve readability.

Remember, these are only suggestions and overall, the tutorial does a great job of teaching its intended purpose. Great work, @ClicClac!

6 Likes

Welcome to the community! I see tons of potential…
Also great guide.

6 Likes

Hardy har har… But seriously, I made this while just sitting in class. I never thought that I would get to heights this large…

6 Likes

bump @ClicClac’s first guide

3 Likes

Don’t know why I kept it, but I’m glad it helped someone!

5 Likes

If anyone remembers the escape room with the bugged sentry gim skin, it utilized memory match. So it helped at least 1 person.

5 Likes

nice guide! bump

1 Like

@ClicClac If you can still edit, link it to your full version.

1 Like

Bro, this guide is older than probably 70% of the users on the forums. I can’t edit it, but thanks for providing a link!

1 Like

Lol, yeah it is a day older than me. Can you make it a wiki though?

1 Like

I’m a week+ older than that guide :sunglasses:

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Ok then. I guess when you can’t edit anymore you can’t make it a wiki anymore either.

1 Like

Technically, I’m 10+ years older than it🥸.

2 Likes

You’re ten? Or a lot older than that. Right?

1 Like

More than that!

2 Likes

That’s what I thought.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to assume for everybody else in here.

1 Like