How to Create An Infection-Styled Game!

How to Create An Infection-Styled Game!

Introduction:

Yes, this question has been asked a lot on the forums, and I want to get rid of these questions by creating a simple, multi-part guide that will teach you all about the basics and advanced mechanics of an infection-styled game. If you want to learn more, look in Community Made Guides. I’ve also created guides for making a King of the Hill styled game and a Gun Game styled game so you can look at those if you want too.

If you’re wondering, an infection game is where at the start of the game, one player gets “infected” with a “virus”, and when they knock players out or tag players, the virus is spread and there are now two infected players. When there are no longer any surviving players, the game ends.

Goals:

In this tutorial, we’ll do these things:

• Have a random player become infected at the start of the game.
  • Show players if they are infected or not.
  • Have players become infected when they are knocked out (or tagged).
  • Have late joiners be infected as punishment for joining late.
  • Show the remaining about of non-infected players in a game overlay.
  • Show the number of seconds the non-infected players have survived.
  • End the game when all players are infected and display the last player standing in the match.

Selecting a Random Player

This will be pretty easy. Click the cog on the bottom left of your screen, and click map options. Then, click teams, and set the team mode to cooperative.

What this will do is set every single player on Team 1!

Next, let’s place down a lifecycle device, a relay device, and a team switcher device. What we’re going to try to do is switch only one random player to a different team at the start of the game, and this device combination does exactly that!

The lifecycle detects when the game starts, and sends a pulse to the relay, which chooses a random player, and sends a pulse to the team switcher which will send the random player onto a new team.

For the lifecycle, you don’t need to change any options:

Make sure the relay sends a pulse on behalf of a random player instead of all players. Sending all players to a different team would ruin the point of the game.

Since all players are on Team 1 by default, switching one singular player to Team 2 will isolate them on their own team.

Here are the wires:
Lifecycle (Event Occurs) → Relay (Relay Trigger).
Relay (Relay Trigger) → Team Switcher (Switch to configured team).

Optional: Tell Infecteds and Survivors their roles.

Now one random player will be selected to be the infected at the start of the game!

Infecting Other Players

Wondering how you can make players turn to the infected side when knocked out/tagged? No worries! I’m here to tell you that!

First, place a lifecycle. Set it like this:

For tagging, it would be the same concept. The wire, instead, would be:
Player Tagged → Switch player to configured team
And
Player tagged → Open Popup(To show that they are infected)

Note: You should make it so that there is NO respawn immunity, or that ruins the game! They will know who is infected!

@Blizzy out

Making Players who Joined late Infected!

Wow, I’m really editing this guide! Well, add another lifecycle! Make it like this:

@Blizzy out

Show the number of seconds the non-infected players have survived.

Place a counter. That lovely device. Place a property. Make it like this(The Counter):

@Blizzy out

End the game when all players are infected and display the last player standing in the match

The hardest part of this guide is probably this. Let’s start.

Use this, then make it decrement by ONE at the start of the game. That should work. I haven’t tested yet. I will be back to conclude if it works or not.
@Blizzy out.

Showing the Number Of Players Left

@getrithekd here. Make a game overlay that receives on “Update Overlay”. It should be type text. You know the num players property from the section before? Make it broadcast on “Update Overlay”. Make a block in the overlay. Put this in:
Tada! You’re done!

Engineers:
@mysz
@Blizzy
@getrithekd

Conclusion:

Well done reading this! I hope you can finish creating your infection map!

Even though I can’t make guides as crazy as the guides that @getrithekd and @Blackhole927 make, I still try to put my best effort into these guides, and I hope you appreciate them.

@mysz out.
yup out

20 Likes

WIKI!

EDIT IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

why would anyone edit this, what more does it need?

Excited much? [}{][}{]

There are like 0 things I covered. Edit it or be exploded.

1 Like

Dang, u made a King of the hill guide before me. I was gonna make one lol!

1 Like

Yay! There it is!

Ahem… this was gonna be in my TUG-tag… but okay.

I MADE GUN GAMES AND KING OF THE HILL

Oh no. The pfp has changed!

What is there to edit?

I’ll edit it. idk why

@mysz Can I add something about players being knocked out? You didn’t even cover that. That was on your goals

Yes. It’s not finished at all.

1 Like

I added some stuff. Look.

@mysz I added three things You should add more yourself

2 Likes

I’m adding more tomorrow.

Cheeeeeeeeez.

2 Likes

@mysz I’ll make the last one if you want. (In your goals)