==The Dungeon Crawler Guide== (Part One - 🟩)

Welcome to Part One of the Dungeon Crawler Guide
In this guide I’ll be having you go through multiple different tutorials that will teach you how to create a decent dungeon crawler! This is by no means easy, however I will be attempting to not only show what to create but also to teach you in the process, extending your learning!

The Dungeon Crawler Guide [Part One] Contains
---------[The Basics]-----------

1. What is a dungeon crawler?
  2. How to create a goal
  3. Setting up the settings
  4. The lobby system
  5. The tutorial room

What is a Dungeon Crawler?
A dungeon crawler is often a game that has players advancing through multiple rooms filled with enemies, traps, and loot in order to complete some sort of goal they have been assigned. In this series we will try and do the same by creating interesting mechanics, goals, and rooms!

How to Create a Goal
Goals in dungeon crawlers can be anything from finding a powerful item, to defeating a boss monster. These goals make the player want to continue playing and not leave after completing a few rooms.
To create your first goal, try and think about what you want the player to accomplish, what could drive them forward to do that goal. Once you have done this you can start to base each of your gameplay pieces around that goal! This will be useful in the future, trust me.

Setting Up The Settings
To start the process of creating your new dungeon crawler we want to start to change the settings for your game! To do this observe the following picture:

If you click on this settings button and then go to Map Options you will find that you can edit the map and the mechanics of the game. To fit the requirements of a dungeon crawler I recommend that you make the teams cooperative, show the health and shield, and set the score group to individual. The other settings you can customize to your game and what you think would be best!

The Lobby System
Creating a lobby is quite simple, to do so you’ll need to create a small room that players can walk around in while waiting for the host to start the game, this can really be anything you want. If you need some inspiration look at this image:

To create your lobby however you will need something called a Spawn Pad!
New Device Discovered - Spawn Pads (:star2:)
[ Mini Tutorial: Spawn pads are devices used to set a player location when they respawn, change teams, or enter the game]

The Tutorial Room
A room that teaches the basics of the dungeon is essential for a good understanding of the gameplay that the player needs. To make a good tutorial room you should have a waypoint system.
New Device Discovered - Waypoints (:star2:)
[ Mini Tutorial: Waypoints are used to show locations that players can use or should know about]
In Gim Dungeon, my Gimkit Creative game I used waypoints to show different things that the player could interact with like this:

==Side Quest (:scroll:)==
To advance your learning, try making some signs that list the different mechanics like in the official Gimkit game modes!

8 Likes

w
(this is a extra word)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! You can also view the full guide here:

Great tutorial, @Wumpus! You’ve done a commendable job in providing guidance for creating a dungeon crawler game in Gimkit. Here’s some feedback on your tutorial:

1. Clear Objectives: Your tutorial clearly states the purpose of the guide and what readers can expect to learn. This helps set the context and engages the readers from the beginning.

2. Structured Approach: The tutorial is well-organized with clear headings and subsections, making it easy for readers to navigate and find specific information they need. The structure enhances the learning experience.

3. Concise Explanations: Your explanations are concise and straightforward, making it easier for readers to grasp the key concepts quickly. This approach helps beginners understand the basics without overwhelming them with excessive details.

4. Visual Support: The inclusion of screenshots throughout the tutorial is beneficial. The visuals help readers visualize the steps and settings being discussed, facilitating easier replication in their own games.

5. Practical Tips: Your tutorial provides practical tips and suggestions for creating interesting mechanics, goals, and rooms. This is valuable as it encourages creativity and allows readers to apply their newfound knowledge effectively.

6. Mini Tutorials: The inclusion of mini tutorials for Spawn Pads and Waypoints is helpful. It introduces readers to these concepts and provides a starting point for further exploration. The screenshots from your own game are an excellent addition, showcasing real-world usage.

7. Side Quest: Your suggestion of creating signs listing different mechanics as a side quest is a fantastic way to encourage readers to extend their learning and explore advanced concepts. It adds an element of challenge and promotes engagement.

Overall, your tutorial is informative, well-structured, and provides practical guidance. By incorporating some of the suggestions mentioned above, you can further enhance the tutorial and offer an even more comprehensive learning experience for Gimkit users. Keep up the excellent work!

Bumping this bc it’s a great guide :grin:

1 Like

Bumping also have you made part 2 yet?

That would be the ultimate dungeon crawler guide.

BUMP

dungeon crawler bump.

bump

1 Like

b u m p
u
m
p

Me when i bump into this guide again: :scream: