Pseudo-Hitboxes: A New Way To Play?

Thanks! You did a much better job at re-explaining this than me. Cheers!

3 Likes

Don’t bump research topics without contributing anything.

6 Likes

Alright well since I saw this I was kinda interested and so here’s some things I’ve figured out:


Into/Thought Process

First, we were trying to figure out where the player was hit. Props had been suggested in the first post, but as Shdwy and others pointed out:

So, NoNoWahoo of course mentioned the first thing that comes to mind that respawns:

However, you can’t hit the sentry unless it can hit you (without using my guide, but then we’re back at using props that can’t respawn).


So to my own dismay I have thought of the only other way for something to respawn:
The Ball Device.
I somehow vaguely remembered that if a ball spawns in a capture zone, it just lies there, and, after some testing, it’s true. On game start, the ball will just be there. And after some testing, well, here’s the system:


The set-up


Here we can see the rough system that I made in about five minutes. I only have 1 ball, but in reality, there will be one in each zone. Now, when it reaches the next capture zone, (which it will quickly, I have max impact, lightness, and 0 friction & bounce), it respawns after 1 second (quickest possible) which should be good enough, at least it is by my eye test.


Pros & Cons

Pros

  • We can link this with the coordinate device to see which player got hit, and (I think) we can see who caused the ball to go into the capture zone (firing player)
  • This can then be linked to pseudo health
  • The ball blocks the shot from going further (unlike other models of using formulas and so forth like before
  • Almost instant respawn (and can respawn unlike props)

Cons

  • Only 12 balls max, and 16 capture zones max, making it only able to cover 192 squares
  • Ball could bounce back and forth if hit by multiple players, some might not register in system
  • Capture zones are limited to 4x4 minimum, meaning we’d have to use zones, which would be a bit more memory intensive, and possibility for players switching zones too quickly because of time to get to next zone

It’s still more of a basic skeleton of what we could end up with, but at least this gives us the ability to build up on and it is a decent model for detecting hits and who gets hit, especially if we’re going to end up linking this with pseudo health.

9 Likes

I am currently working on a setup for this concept. I’m not going to explain well with pictures but I will try when done.

1 Like

Could you at least give us a quick brief on it? Just a short little paragraph that sums it up?

It is basically what cheese needed. There are 20 different positions of basketballs and when hit, they trigger triggers. Not too hard

2 Likes