Let's Develop Technical Gimkit Notation!

We have needed some sort of notation for a looong time. @ClicClac tried to make an image version, but it was never adopted because we’re too lazy to get up Google Drawings or something when trying to type things. (It’s too much work, man.)

So let’s make some sort of notation!

THE GOAL:

We want to make something memorable, readable, and easy to write out.

We need to be able to display:
device type, shorthand mechanisms, connection type, resolution order, device settings

IDEAS:

I was thinking we could do something like this:
T(S: X, R: U, A/D: N/A) — T(…)
and so on. Basically X(Y) Z X(Y) where X is a device/mechanism, Y is the settings of said mechanism, and Z is the connections. There’s a lot of problems with this, but it’s a start. What ideas do you guys have?

CONFIRMED FEATURES SO FAR:

We know
a) each device should have a 2-3 letter designation
b) any settings that are default are ignored completely

p.s.
I plan on making this into a guide after we’ve figured out what we’re doing. Dunno if that’s relevant, but I thought I’d bring it up anyways.

pinging a bunch of people who may want to help

@getrithekd @ClicClac @cr1sis @Thats_Gimpossible @wingwave @Apoll02

9 Likes

what’s notation

2 Likes

What does notation mean?

2 Likes

It is just a type of abbreviated writing used to make something easier to understand or write

2 Likes

Google LLC (/ˈɡuːɡəl/ ) is an American multinational technology company focusing on artificial intelligence, online advertising, search engine technology, cloud computing, computer software, quantum computing, e-commerce, and consumer electronics. It has been referred to as “the most powerful company in the world” and as one of the world’s most valuable brands due to its market dominance, data collection, and technological advantages in the field of artificial intelligence. Alongside Amazon, Apple Inc., Meta, and Microsoft, Google’s parent company Alphabet Inc. is one of the five Big Tech companies.

Google is a great resource to use if you don’t know what something means! You can also use dictionary.com if you want a specific definition.

also try reading the actual post where I explain what I’m talking about lol

1 Like

ok

1 Like

Do you have any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Let me reread, one minute.

2 Likes

Don’t do this, other it might close.
Meant to reply to Himthyjustgoated

1 Like

I like the idea, we also need a way to notate setting efficiently.

2 Likes

Probably taking advantage of the built-in categories.

1 Like

You could use ClicClac and my scientific names guide as a starting point.

1 Like

That sounds incredibly counter-productive. Nobody wants to memorize new names for every single device. It’s a good idea, but we want to make it easier, not harder.

1 Like

I like ClicClac’s names like triggerloop.

They are short and descriptive.

1 Like

I mean, sure. Could be shortened some more. What’s some sort of short character way to say loop?
><
<O>
()
<=>
hmmmm

1 Like

loop.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

that takes too long to write. we gotta make it look cool

2 Likes

For devices, perhaps we can use ClicClac’s letter device format. Settings may need keywords instead of just a symbol or letter since there are so many of them.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. At least, something like that. Maybe not the pictures though.

lp or infinity sign probably. For device settings simple just put ds.

2 Likes