LaTeX Rendering in Gimkit help

For those of you who don’t know, LaTeX is a rendering system for math equations. It turns stuff like \frac{x\sqrt{3}}{\left(x-3\right)^{2}} into nice and neat math symbols. The example I mentioned actually looks something like this.

Basically, I want to write an algorithm that can take some input of LaTeX and correctly render it within Gimkit. I’ve been trying to think of how to do this but I just can’t figure it out for the life of me, so I decided to ask here. Any ideas, anyone?

For reference, the LaTeX math docs can be found here.

14 Likes

I may be a 9th grader in IM2 math, but that doesn’t mean I know what this means.

Although I am really interested in you @Blackhole927. not in a bad way, you always suprise me with your talent! making a 3d rendering machine INSIDE OF GIMKIT or your graphing calculator! If you told me that you would do that stuff 3 years ago I would stare at you in complete silence, your a legend man.

Back on topic, I understand nothing, could you elaborate in simpler terms?

3 Likes

LaTeX is some code for rendering math equations. I want to render math equations in gimkit, so I want to replicate what it does.

LaTeX takes in a string like \frac{x\sqrt{3}}{\left(x-3\right)^{2}}, and converts it into a fancy looking equation like this. I want to do this in gimkit.

3 Likes

LaTeX is just another way of writing algorithm’s, I understand what BH needs but give me time bud

Hmmm, interesting.

I don’t know how to do this, as Im not very well versed in Java or even the block coding in GKC. But I can’t wait to see what your going to use LaTeX for!

BH, I might just know a way, let me go test it out tho

So it basically is for neatness? Like you can write 3 to the power of three as 3x3x3, but 3³ is easier and cleaner.

Is LaTeX vitally needed in gkc, or is this just an ease of use kinda thing?

Edit: Ah ok. Makes sense :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a “Blackhole wants to make another dumb project and this one thing is specifically very vital to that project’s functionality but outside of this nobody will ever find practical use in it” situation.

13 Likes

Balckhole, I have part of it done, It isn’t pretty but it should work how you like it too when finished

What did you do?

5 Likes

Okay lol

Well lemme read some of the doc first. I’ll be back in a few days or years… it’s kinda long…

2 Likes

the practical use for it is being goofy, literally filled out some Honors IM2 parabola math worksheets using your graphing calculator, with my teachers permission of course.

back on topic though

1 Like

The bigger concern is how to render things like fractions. I need to figure out how to compute fractions, and then compute fractions within fractions, etc. Don’t worry too much about the latex format, I just need to figure out how to render the stuff given some sort of input.

10 Likes

It’s complicated, I cant explain it at the current moment

1 Like

I’ma ask my Honors IM2 math teacher tmrw about LaTeX. I will come back hopefully with an awnser then

1 Like

How many fractions within fractions are we talking about?

1 Like

This is a computer science quesiton, not a math quesiton.

3 Likes

Prefereably infinite

3 Likes

ooh… would that fraction help me understand though?

also my high school has a computer science class, so I may stop by in there

Could you use strings and convert it somehow? I know strings have a little bit more coding leeway.