How to Track and See Your Ping in the Game!

So…
I saw @CustomCoaster’s how to track the FPS in your game guide and thought the idea and the mechanism was cool, but it didn’t actually track your FPS. Even if it did, you would only see your FPS for 0.00000000001 seconds. Literally.

The mechanism is cool, though, so in this guide, I’m gonna be expanding on it and, since you can’t actually track FPS at all in Gimkit Creative (you can’t track anything that’s entirely client-side), I’m gonna be using it to create a ping tracker.

Ping is how long it takes your client to get a response from the server, usually displayed in milliseconds. Basically, it’s the time between when you click your mouse to shoot, and when other people in your game see the black hole coming out of your quantum portal. You usually don’t notice a difference unless your ping is, like, in the hundreds, but it’s nice to know what it is, especially if you think you’re lagging.

Anyways.
Let’s get into the guide.

Place a lifecycle and wire it to a trigger with a delay of 0.001.

Duplicate the trigger.
Now you have two triggers! :exploding_head:

Loop the triggers using wires.
Wire each of them to a counter which they increment.
Set the counter’s count scope to player.
Have the counter update a property called “UpdatesInSecond”.
In this property’s device, make sure it broadcasts a value change on game start, and set the value scope to player.

Place a trigger and a wire repeater. Give the wire repeater a delay of 1.
Wire them with the lifecycle like this:
Screenshot 2024-05-29 2.16.13 PM
Make a block in the trigger, and match this code:
Screenshot 2024-05-29 2.24.29 PM
(make sure to add a property device for “ping” i guess)

Go into the counter and for “reset counter when receiving on” put “BroadcastPing”.

Add a game overlay. Make a new block, activated when receiving on “BroadcastPing”.
Screenshot 2024-05-29 2.38.35 PM

And you’re done!
In the top left corner of your screen, you’ll see your ping!
For reference, a good ping is between 10 and 20 ms. Most of you reading this probably live in the eastern US, so you’ll be getting about that. If you live in the west you might get maybe 10 more, and if you’re in another country you’ll get more than that.

Comment your ping! (if you don’t wanna build this whole thing just to find out your ping, use this game to test it.)

7 Likes

ping was 19ms
works good!

1 Like

huh

nice guide!

(maybe i should test things before saying things)

anyways, i got a ping of 19ms

1 Like

Oh wow nice Guide!
ping was 19ms also

what?
i didn’t even know that was possible!

erm what the sigma @cringekarlscott
I used yours and I don’t think it worked

The minimum delay is .015s.

1 Like

Ah, yes. A very steady 19 ping.

(I was trying to catch a disconnect screen, but it was too laggy)
Nice guide!

:confused:
Very original and nice guide

not trying to be rude but

he quite literally credited you buddy.
this guide is inspired from your guide but really just fixing it up and doing something different with it. this really just makes me feel like you didn’t even read the guide at all. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah…
But does crediting someone else doesn’t do anything?
Let’s not start a flame war.

I’m just pointing out how he already stated that it wasn’t original entirely. so your comment wasn’t really needed and was more rude than anything.

2 Likes

wait, can I see a finished product to make sure I did it correctly?

is the ping always 19ms?

yeah, all of the pics have said it is 19ms. if it isn’t the real ping, how do we adjust it to make it look like its changing?

1 Like

Mine hit 20 at one point. I think it’s just testing how many ticks can run per second.

1 Like

ummm not possible the lowest is 0.1

why not just make one trigger broadcast and receive on the same channel

I believe 100 would work better because of the following block code

no… you see 1000 / the number of times the counter incremented…

2 Likes

I get where your frustration comes from, but he did credit and he pointed out that yours didn’t work.

2 Likes

Mine was 19 too…

So is it pseudo ping?

2 Likes

How would “pseudo ping” even work?

To make a ‘pseudo’ version of something, it has to ‘simulate’ something that you can’t actually do- like pseudo inventory, pseudo health, etc. To simulate ping wouldn’t quite work.

Unless, of course, since you can suggest it as a possibility, please explain how it would work.