How to Create a Save File For Your Players

Do “triggering players name”, it is in blocks

3 Likes

got it! thanks both of you

3 Likes

This is incredible! I can’t wait to implement it into my games!

3 Likes

Yeah, but then if they had a friend that got really far they could steal their name. I mean, they could steal the best save code. The only way for them not to is, well, there isn’t one. Yet. This is probably why I haven’t done this in Gimkit, only Scratch, where people can’t change their username, so using code I could check their username (and if they have played before), as well as their progress.

3 Likes

If someone has a save code, they can share it with anyone else. There’s no way to prevent against this until unique IP IDs are added, which I doubt will be anytime soon, if at all. Even if you did have them, you can’t store data from game to game, so there’s not even any point.
The only way to prevent save editing is encryption.

3 Likes

How would you encrypt it? In Scratch, I turn the letters of their username to digits, and save those digits to a cloud variable. That way I can tell that they have played before. Then, in the cloud variable, it has their save code after it. So then it is full-proof. But there are no “cloud variables” in Gimkit, so it would always be crackable. Plus, you can always change your name in Gimkit, but you cannot in Scratch.

4 Likes

There’s a thing called a player id in the gimkit files, but the game can’t access them.

2 Likes

You could do operations on it. Assuming floating point errors don’t become too big of an issue, you could do things like arcsin or cos or something on it. As long as you don’t remove the information content and only you know the save code, encryption would be relatively straightforward.

4 Likes

interesting…

i’ll keep that in mind lol

gimkit time to add this?!??!?!?!?

2 Likes

It’s somewhere up there in the comments. Look at the conversation between black hole and I.

2 Likes

Hmm, never thought about that. Although, it is still susceptible. A friend could memorize his friends code. Or figure out what to do. Do the math with their calculator.

2 Likes

Unless you tell everyone how you’re doing the encryption, the only way to figure it out is a LOT of save-cracking. Even with just 4 operations, you’ve suddenly got thousands of possible ways that a code could be encrypted.

Should be fine.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. I am way overreacting. Did I ever mention that I thought this was really cool?

3 Likes

Yeah, however its not the worst thing in the world. If someone wants to skip ahead of the story and miss a bunch of cool features that’s their fault. However if the save code was for something like an in game currency or something I can see how that would be an issue. Unfortunately I’m not sure that there is a good way to fix it right now.

6 Likes

Bump! Because this is rlly cool!

5 Likes

Reusable bump.

4 Likes

Um, you didn’t make it a wiki.

4 Likes

so how do you do the save file for something way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, WAY, WAY bigger than the example, a 5x11 rectangle (no offense), shown?

1 Like

You’d need a LOT more properties. Assuming we’re avoiding binary encoding (though you could certainly go there), you’d store 13 possible data points with up to 10 options. That’s a lot, but on the scale of a large RPG, basically nothing.

I never said it was easy, but it should be manageable.

Actually, I wonder what the most efficient way to store and pack data is…
Looking online yields mixed results.

3 Likes

uh, yeah i know i’m 18 hours late but is it possible to just copy+paste the properties?

if not, then goodbye stargim valley, hello stargim pain

1 Like