How to Create a Save File For Your Players

This is pretty good! To make the popup player scoped, go to all settings and find the update scope feature.

4 Likes

May I ask(not to sound rude) but how does this work, Josh him self said that it was not a thing? Im curious.

4 Likes

And it works? Has it been tried yet?

3 Likes

First: Don’t trust josh. Everything is possible.
Second: Josh meant that there wasn’t a way to do this that the devs had intentionally implemented. This method is less effective than a gimkit team made method, but it still works.

23 Likes

lol and you are true… us forum members have made things people thought were impossible… and honestly @Blackhole927, those were the wisest words I have heard in days. I should make a guide on the impossible, turned possible…

6 Likes

Gimkit is turing complete, therefore anything that runs on a computer can run in gimkit. Save systems run on computers, therefore they can run on gimkit.

10 Likes

when I first read that part

13 Likes

Same, i was like :scream:

7 Likes

Wow this would really be helpful! :thinking:

4 Likes

This is a really good guide! Nice job!

3 Likes

nice guide maybe add a difficulty?

difficulty?
0 voters
2 Likes

I’m gonna work on adding the counter today, should be done before the end of the day

3 Likes

Instead of using the memory for that code input thing, you can just have the player input it using their nickname before they enter the game!

4 Likes

Are you able to read a player’s nickname? If so, that’s really cool!

2 Likes

Do “triggering players name”, it is in blocks

3 Likes

got it! thanks both of you

3 Likes

This is incredible! I can’t wait to implement it into my games!

3 Likes

Yeah, but then if they had a friend that got really far they could steal their name. I mean, they could steal the best save code. The only way for them not to is, well, there isn’t one. Yet. This is probably why I haven’t done this in Gimkit, only Scratch, where people can’t change their username, so using code I could check their username (and if they have played before), as well as their progress.

3 Likes

If someone has a save code, they can share it with anyone else. There’s no way to prevent against this until unique IP IDs are added, which I doubt will be anytime soon, if at all. Even if you did have them, you can’t store data from game to game, so there’s not even any point.
The only way to prevent save editing is encryption.

3 Likes

How would you encrypt it? In Scratch, I turn the letters of their username to digits, and save those digits to a cloud variable. That way I can tell that they have played before. Then, in the cloud variable, it has their save code after it. So then it is full-proof. But there are no “cloud variables” in Gimkit, so it would always be crackable. Plus, you can always change your name in Gimkit, but you cannot in Scratch.

4 Likes