Advice for Gimkit people

So fI have learned that if you make guides like this oneDO NOT REPLY - Inkyday Forum Degeneracy (ID: 62015)it will create really bad stuff that will end up just doing bad. Please be kind, the forums are already falling apart and none of this helping. Thank you meepeygamer567 for helping out that topic. Also,just be nice. As you know, I wanted to address the situation of the forums breaking apart so, if you aren’t kind to one another it will end up being no forums and a lot of unhappy people.

GimGamer1 out and have a good day!

Other people's advice

@getrithekd: Part of the reason that the forums are falling apart is that most people are too caught up being kind to point out mistakes. There is also a misconception of criticizing being mean. Being kind doesn’t solve everything.

@YoshiKarter My opinion on off-topic posts is that there should be a new “Opinion” category and all posts there will be ended 2 hours after creation. You can state your opinions there (like this one.)
Tell me if this is a terrible idea and you’re free to destr0y my opinion if you want.

@T_Sonic54 While being kind to people is the right thing to do, I’d agree that since the art category was made, it’s been a downwards spiral.

This site was originally meant for GKC content only and nothing else. Art requests and off topic posts were meant for the discord and not for the place where people ask for help with triggers and blocks

@speedy_kd4 The forums are the embodiment of toxic positivity. Do everything at least slightly right or sound smart enough and spell things right? Everyone loves you. Make a mistake as a new user? People get annoyed. Make the same mistake? FULL RAGE MODE. And we also love to hurt people too. Saying things like “you aren’t special” or “you can’t listen to anything” is an obvious attempt to get into someone’s head to get them to change.

Where did things end for me? Once the school year started. I agree with @getrithekd, the rise of art guides made me lose interest in GKC, and the fact that I suffered from HUGE burnout after making my second game. The only reason I stay in the community is because I enjoy the people in the discord.

Do you want wisdom on how to change the forums? Well, TOO BAD. The only way we can change is from communal effort, but even so, that’s gonna be real hard. I’d say to enjoy it while it lasts and just ignore the bad stuff. Raising new users with a hatred of the forums is harmful and will impact the community badly. I’d go into detail about how old users messed up, but who really cares? What does my statement provide that’s helpful here? It’s clear that a lot of people just paraphrase what the “smart people” (smart people in quotes) say and then get likes for it. So how about someone here relates Old Forum Users to New Forum users with Gen Z and Gen Alpha? Ping me in an unrelated post and put how in your bio. Well, this was a lot longer than I thought it would be, but it is in no means an essay. Actually, it’s not that long. Welp, just be nice and enjoy everything while it lasts I guess.

@eiqcrmeliutgwhc being kind is the right thing to do but sometimes you just need to give constructive criticism, regardless if it’s brutal to face or not.

also please put this stuff in your bio or something. as navy once said,

Um, can we please stop complaining about the forums and actually do something to fix them?

well, something along those lines. anyways, just because you see others do things doesn’t mean it’s right, just that… people… are… well, doing it a ton… also no offense, but doing things like this is quite useless, as we need action, not forum psas/fas. plus, it’s not like EVERYBODY will bother to click on this or remember this topic.

if we have action, then that’s going to make this forum not perfect but at least one step forward to being better

if we have posts like these, we are not changing anything

oh and btw, no forum is perfect. there’s going to be that one person that’s going to be unhappy. well, maybe two. wait, make that three. eh, make that a couple thundred .

also well said speedy, well said

while yes an active moderator would help, lets face it, this community will never be perfect.

i’m gonna get the milk for you as a reward (yes i translated the message in sphealchat :p)

@speedy_kd4 while yes an active moderator would help, lets face it, this community will never be perfect.
there will always be trouble makers and ban-speedrunners. no community is perfect, and the gkc never was. alot of people think that the early days of the forums were amazing, but from what ive heard, it wasnt that great. it never will be, and thats okay.
while a moderator wont fix all our problems, i do agree it’ll help.
jeffo, hear our cries!!

@InkyDarkBird Every time a topic has complained about the state of the forums, many claim to agree, yet the status quo stays the same. If kind requests do not work, then people naturally turn to more extreme methods of enacting change, such as my rant and gimpossible’s ragebait guide.

It doesn’t help that the last time a massive change was agreed upon by forumers (banning art requests), it was rejected by Team Gimkit.

If the TOS says that people in here must be 13 or over, we should treat them that way, instead of babying them with relentless kindness and flagging exemptions.

This topic is also not strapped to an explosive timer since it is far less accusatory.

@FersionSpeedy I must admit, the forums became a downfall with guides after the art category was made. (And i used to support thumbnail requests, not anymore because game names are mostly in the thumbnail, making you advertise your game).

It went from “How to make a cool chess system!” to “How to make diner art”. I think art topics are overrated because it went from great guides that use cool systems that has a chance to be in someone’s game to barrier art, which had a less chance with people putting into their game. It was really a downfall because i don’t support any art guides (now i’m admitting that because i had to pretend to support them to avoid being flagged by the OP), and again, some of them may be in people’s games, but around 90% of the art guides will NEVER be used in people’s games. And these 90% of people may just be showcasing the art thing instead of actually helping.

And let’s face it, this won’t be a really good community, according to Speedy_kd.
Ban speedrunners are gonna be here, and besides, only TL4s can do basic moderator actions, not be overpowered and ban everyone. They can’t deal with it besides just closing topics they’re in. I know they tried their best making a good forum and a happy community, but people have other plans. When they get on, they always break the rules, and they don’t read one simple blue banner on the top. I know their attention span is NOT that short, because it takes only like 17 seconds to read the basic rules of the forum. If you can’t read the rules, you’re just being lazy.

@HP7divergent46THG12 I agree with FersionSpeedy.
Before the art category was a thing, there were plenty of good guides which used a system, was explain well, used pictures, and had proper grammar and spelling. Now, since the art category now exists, there are “guides” that seem to be made by 7-year-olds. (I mean, they could have been. :woman_shrugging:) The new guides are all over the place and there are barely any help posts anymore.
This doesn’t only apply to guides. There are people who make posts that can’t be read (sometimes), bc they have improper grammar, devastatingly wrong spellings, or the sentence structure is off. C’mon guys, people can’t help you if they don’t now what you need help with!
I also agree with others that say that being kind doesn’t solve everything. If you ask someone nicely to stop multiple times, they’re likely not going to stop until they are annoyed that you keep asking, or you get annoyed from asking and start getting angrier. Once, a user was disrespectful to another user on a topic that wasn’t even related to them. Fluffy pointed out that this shouldn’t have been said and was rude. The other user (who said the rude thing) complained that fluffy was being rude in telling him that. Well, sometimes you need to be stern to get the point across. And anyways, if you don’t want people saying you’re rude, then don’t be rude!
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
@GimGuy Art On Discord” they say.

Most people here either

-don’t have discord
-don’t care enough to get on eighteen apps to make a thumbnail

the art topic makes a way for people to directly get everything they need in one place.

anyways, if you don’t like the art topic, then you can literally edit categories and take out art. so it doesnt bother you personally.

@speedy_kd4 The forums are the embodiment of toxic positivity. Do everything at least slightly right or sound smart enough and spell things right? Everyone loves you. Make a mistake as a new user? People get annoyed. Make the same mistake? FULL RAGE MODE. And we also love to hurt people too. Saying things like “you aren’t special” or “you can’t listen to anything” is an obvious attempt to get into someone’s head to get them to change.

also i think the quoute above was mysz

DON'T ClICK

14 Likes

Part of the reason that the forums are falling apart is that most people are too caught up being kind to point out mistakes. There is also a misconception of criticizing being mean. Being kind doesn’t solve everything.

To be honest, I’ve been unhappy with the forums ever since art guides became a big thing. The majority of the population shifted away from making cool systems, and the overall knowledge in the forum population decreased.

23 Likes

Should I add that? Pant pant

Add advice that I can put in the guide pls.

My opinion on off-topic posts is that there should be a new “Opinion” category and all posts there will be ended 2 hours after creation. You can state your opinions there (like this one.)
Tell me if this is a terrible idea and you’re free to destr0y my opinion if you want.

1 Like

I call the Gim army to ban that post! LOL

Do you have any advice?

lol, I don’t really any advice
Just wanted to put that out there

Can somebody please add advice? (The first time my guide doesn’t get flagged nobody responds)

Oh great we have already cluttered the post welp.

In 20 minutes, this post will bl0w up and have at least 50 responses.
Just wait.
edit: never mind

While being kind to people is the right thing to do, I’d agree that since the art category was made, it’s been a downwards spiral.

This site was originally meant for GKC content only and nothing else. Art requests and off topic posts were meant for the discord and not for the place where people ask for help with triggers and blocks.

1 Like

Art tag or category?

Idk What they are called now, I meant category.

1 Like

The forums are the embodiment of toxic positivity. Do everything at least slightly right or sound smart enough and spell things right? Everyone loves you. Make a mistake as a new user? People get annoyed. Make the same mistake? FULL RAGE MODE. And we also love to hurt people too. Saying things like “you aren’t special” or “you can’t listen to anything” is an obvious attempt to get into someone’s head to get them to change. But it’s just rude and mean and really toxic and annoying and bad and horrible and appalling and 100 more adjectives.

Where did things end for me? Once the school year started. I agree with @getrithekd, the rise of art guides made me lose interest in GKC, and the fact that I suffered from HUGE burnout after making my second game. The only reason I stay in the community is because I enjoy the people in the discord.

Do you want wisdom on how to change the forums? Well, TOO BAD. The only way we can change is from communal effort, but even so, that’s gonna be real hard. I’d say to enjoy it while it lasts and just ignore the bad stuff. Raising new users with a hatred of the forums is harmful and will impact the community badly. I’d go into detail about how old users messed up, but who really cares? If you actually read this post, please don’t like it. I want to see who actually reads this stuff. What does my statement provide that’s helpful here? It’s clear that a lot of people just paraphrase what the “smart people” (smart people in quotes) say and then get likes for it. So how about someone else, someone who isn’t one of the “BIG PEOPLE” here relates Old Forum Users to New Forum users with Gen Z and Gen Alpha? Ping me in an unrelated post and put how in your bio. Well, this was a lot longer than I thought it would be, but it is in no means an essay. Actually, it’s not that long. Welp, just be nice and enjoy everything while it lasts I guess.

(also this is going to be flagged lol)

10 Likes

yeah, i also agree that being kind is the right thing to do, in some cases.
im also guilty of making art guides, but i try to make them useful, and somewhat complex.
sometimes i see art guides, and its just… bad. its hard to be nice about it. but it doesnt help much when people just say its bad, like atleast try and help them improve.

idk what im talking abt anymore, people need to be less sensitive ig

also
yeah this post is a ticking time-b0mb

3 Likes

Every time a topic has complained about the state of the forums, many claim to agree, yet the status quo stays the same. If kind requests do not work, then people naturally turn to more extreme methods of enacting change, such as my rant and gimpossible’s ragebait guide.

It doesn’t help that the last time a massive change was agreed upon by forumers (banning art requests), it was rejected by Team Gimkit.

If the TOS says that people in here must be 13 or over, we should treat them that way, instead of babying them with relentless kindness and flagging exemptions.

This topic is also not strapped to an explosive timer since it is far less accusatory.

6 Likes

honestly people complaining about the forums just makes it worse
place can’t be perfect
but
yapping won’t help
like not at all

so maybe just handle the incompetent people who cause problems and don’t whine about those people
because that’s not going to do anything

4 Likes

But people don’t properly handle those troublemakers, which is why the complaints don’t stop.

1 Like

True.
So, the first step in this whole situation would be to learn how to properly handle troublemakers.
Which all goes back around to Blueboat/BH’s statement from the beginning of it all- we need an active moderator.

1 Like

while yes an active moderator would help, lets face it, this community will never be perfect.
there will always be trouble makers and ban-speedrunners. no community is perfect, and the gkc never was. alot of people think that the early days of the forums were amazing, but from what ive heard, it wasnt that great. it never will be, and thats okay.
while a moderator wont fix all our problems, i do agree it’ll help.
jeffo, hear our cries!!

4 Likes

being kind is the right thing to do but sometimes you just need to give constructive criticism, regardless if it’s brutal to face or not.

also please put this stuff in your bio or something. as navy once said,

Um, can we please stop complaining about the forums and actually do something to fix them?

well, something along those lines. anyways, just because you see others do things doesn’t mean it’s right, just that… people… are… well, doing it a ton… also no offense, but doing things like this is quite useless, as we need action, not forum psas/fas. plus, it’s not like EVERYBODY will bother to click on this or remember this topic.

if we have action, then that’s going to make this forum not perfect but at least one step forward to being better

if we have posts like these, we are not changing anything

oh and btw, no forum is perfect. there’s going to be that one person that’s going to be unhappy. well, maybe two. wait, make that three. eh, make that a couple thundred [1].

also well said speedy, well said

i’m gonna get the milk for you as a reward (yes i translated the message in sphealchat :p)

1. short-lived joke from the prodigy game wiki ↩︎

5 Likes

jeffo HEAR OUR CRIES!!!

2 Likes