Advanced Update Order | Difficulty: 🟪

does anyone know what he is talking about? definitely not me

2 Likes

replying…
oh no this is taking a while don’t be zypheir again

1 Like

Basically, it’s (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), right?

Can you elaborate on this? Doesn’t it just approach zero the smaller and smaller you go?

1 Like

Let’s do an example. What is the instantaneous rate of change at any point on the function, f(x) = x^2?

Well, let’s plug it in to our limit. Let’s just say Δx is h for easy purposes.

lim h → 0
(f(x + h) - f(x))/h
Since our function is f(x) = x^2, we turn the “function part” into this:

(x^2 + 2xh + h^2 - x^2)/h
Cancel x^2 out.
(2xh + h^2)/h
Divide h on the top and bottom.
(2x + h)/1
Now, since h approaches 0, we just plug in 0 normally.
2x.

So, the instantaneous rate of change or derivative on any point of the curve f(x) = x^2 is 2x

1 Like

Check out the example.

2 Likes

Δx, or let’s say h becomes smaller and smaller, like 0.001. If we have (f(3 + 0.001) - f(3))/(3 + 3.001 - 3), we can get really close to finding the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point, because the difference between the two numbers is so small.

2 Likes

oh, ok i think i get it now. you see, i will not be in high school next year, and we have only worked mainly with linear functions, none with exponential factors

2 Likes

Well, if our function is f(x) = x^2, than f(x + h) is just (x + h)^2. I’m assuming you know that special case, so yeah.

2 Likes

I never thought I’d be explaining derivatives on a Gimkit forum, but here we are…

2 Likes

That’s why I deleted it :joy:

3 Likes

The notation of a derivative is usually dy/dx (the derivative of y with respect to x), d/dx [f(x)] (the derivative of f(x) with respect to x) or f’(x) (lagrange’s notation I think)

2 Likes

Here are some rules.

If f(x) = x^n, than f’(x) is nx^(n-1)

2 Likes

But as Delta x approaches zero, then it becomes (f(3)-f(3))/(3) → 0/3 → 0?

3 Likes

y = x^n
The inverse:
x = y^n
y = nroot(x)
Shouldn’t it be this?

3 Likes

Well you see, you can’t always evaluate limits like that. You have to look for more creative solutions, also it’s (f(3)-f(3))/(0), actually.

You can plug your “h” in normally, but if it gets you to 0/0 then you can use other methods, like the one I used. Remember, Δx never actually becomes 0.

2 Likes

That doesn’t really have to do with a derivative, and it would actually be n = logₓy

2 Likes

But if I nroot both sides, then I get:

nroot(x) = nroot(y^n)
nroot(x) = y

Is this wrong?

3 Likes

But that would mean this is wrong:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Why?

2 Likes