Advanced Update Order | Difficulty: 🟪

noice

2 Likes

Should we make a new line of guides, like [ :loudspeaker: PSA! ] and [ :newspaper: Resources ], called [ :pinching_hand: Mini-Guide ]? It would be useful for information we thought was too short to make its own guide.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

What would you like to know? I’m kind of bored right now, and want to pull a @Zypheir(Create a detailed description of something).

1 Like

Ok, explain big f’s in math with the d/dx and d/dy (that was silly, I mean integrals). Technically, d/dx simplifies to 1/x :joy:

Any “hardest” Algebra 2 concept, can’t be that hard…

I know, but I can’t watch any of my YT front page without knowing what integrals are…

I have to skip so many minutes (my home page is VERY different)

TLDR; Integrals use infinitesimally small areas summed up to approximate area.

Think of it like this. The curve f(x) = x^2. You can’t find the area of a curve, right? But you can approximate it with infinitely small area. This is called a definite integral.

1 Like

It’s the rectangles but then you make them this small :pinching_hand:.

You can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to calculate definite integrals.

An integral from a to b of f’(x) is F(b) - F(a) (The antiderivative of the function at points b and a).

I would suggest Khan Academy or Organic Chemistry- I’m not a good explainer.

1 Like

Organic Chemistry Tutor is the W’est channel on YT.

Contradicting details…

1 Like

Yeah. With Riemann Sums you can partition small rectangles randomly. As long as the max-area rectangle, Δxf(xi) is approaching 0, you can approximate the area under a curve.

1 Like

Integrals are fundamental to calculus, and in Multivariable calculus, there are double integrals, triple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, volume integrals, etc.

1 Like

What are you even going to do with this knowledge?

1 Like

I’m going to be better (as a person).

By the way, the dy/dx notation is for derivatives.

1 Like

I thought d/dx basically means slope

On a serious note- This is great! Learning new math is great because it helps you understand the world better. No one really dislikes math. They just don’t like learning it because they think it’s hard. It’s hard to dislike math as a whole.

1 Like

It does. Think about it like this. How would you find the slope of a line that passes through a curve once? You can find the average rate of change of x + Δx(a really small number) - f(x) over x + Δx - x which is just x.

That does not describe me, not trying to brag but I actually love math and am great at it

The people one grade older in our combined class try to cheat off me

The formal definition of a derivative:lim
x

a

f
(
x
)

f
(
a
)