A Chunkian guide to Pseudo-Hitboxes [5/10 or 🟨]

I saw the pseudo-hitboxes clay institute thing, so I made this: the chunkian guide to pseudo-hitboxes!
Goals:

• Make a hitbox that if the prop around the player is destroyed by another player, the player loses health in a property.
  • The player inside can’t damage themselves.
  • The box or prop around the player will follow the player around.
  • The player can’t stand between units and not have a hitbox.
  • The hitboxes still appear in multiplayer (2 players for this one)

I can’t find it anywhere, so I’m assuming I’m the first one to actually implement this thing into GKC and post it.

NOTE: So far, this seems like the only efficient way to do it and make it actually work even when it’s multiplayer. You can try to make it for more than 2 players, but it’s too much work for me.
Okay, let’s get into the guide.
Grab a trigger.

Do these settings:
Screenshot 2024-06-05 5.23.15 PM

Grab a prop (I’m using wooden pole since you can pass through it) and set the prop’s alpha to 0.15.
Then, configure these settings: (nozone will be important later)

Now, copy these props and layer them so there are a lot of them around the player. If you’re using a wooden pole, rotate the props so that the shadow (or hitbox of the prop, also the bottom) makes corners.

Grab a property, name it “Player1Health” and input these settings:

Then grab a trigger and input these settings (let everything else stay default)
Screenshot 2024-06-05 5.33.57 PM
In the blocks:

Now, grab a zone and input these settings:

Good! You’ve done 1% of the work you’ll need to do to cover your map with these. Now, time to do the same but with Team 2.
Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.21.05 PM

Remember to put the prop on all four sides and duplicate them so there are several on each side.

Then, stack them on top of each other.

Time to repeat that process 50 times, ig. You’ll need to cover your entire map with these for it to work.
Also, if you’re wondering how to display the health, grab an overlay, set it to text, and leave everything else default. Then grab a repeater (or use a lifecycle with default settings, wire it to a trigger, event occurs – trigger, make the trigger receive on x and send on x with a delay of 1.) that repeats x every second. Then, make a block in the overlay and make the overlay block receive on channel x and input this:

The only things you need to change for the next unit are the channels, I think.
Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.39.37 PM

Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.37.34 PM

Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.37.13 PM

Then layer them. Note, copy only one of the props on the side. There should only be two props copied and one should be for team 1 and the other for team 2.
Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.40.52 PM

Screenshot 2024-06-05 6.41.02 PM
Hopefully someone comes and makes a better version of this. It’s still in development, but I don’t have enough time to finish. Also, you may want to increase the size of the zone so players can’t lose their hitbox between the triggers.

• 1/10
  • 2/10
  • 3/10
  • 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
0 voters
1 Like

Nice guide! I have not seen a pseudo guide for a while!

1 Like

the problem with this is it doesn’t follow the player
(the main point of the original topic)

1 Like

The player steps on a trigger, and that causes the props to appear at the location. If the player leaves the zone, the prop disappears. That’s the only way I know to make the props move. You might be right though, I tested it only few times and with only four units.

This might be helpful to @Slim’s question.

we know coordinate systems work but we can’t do that for an entire map thats the problem

yeah, this is just a prototype. For an entire map this would cost all the memory. I guess this is for smaller maps, like a boxing arena or something. A coordinate system would take more memory in smaller maps.

Thanks! I couldn’t find anything like this. It’s what I have in mind.

I will only use it for the big section, not the whole map.

The unit thing is really frustrating though, you should probably try a coordinate system.

Ik how to make pseudo hitboxes ish.
Besides this method its not 100% possible i think and thia method still needs refining as well.

C0de on here. It works this time, I tested it
Gim Stars (padlet.com)

posting a code on padlet is basically the same thing

For a coordinate system, I didn’t see a way for players to not be able to hit themselves while tracking which player is on which team. There might be a possibility though. Anyway, this isn’t the full solution to the clay institute, there’s probably a better and more organized way but I’m too lazy to make a new guide.

Oh yeah I forgot about this being my first guide (and topic)

1 Like

I love the guide it is really good!