Thumbnail Request (then back to retirement)

…you mean @WhoAmI’s cosmic box…

1 Like

Yeah, lol. :laughing: Speaking of magic, how’s the magical thumbnail coming, @VoidFluffy?

Gimkit101. I made the Ascent of Mt. Snowy thumbnail. I can’t make one for the foreseeable future though.

3 Likes

Oh, okay. Did you also make your pfp? It looks kinda similar.

Hey, @ClicClac, do u have any tips on how to make a platformer non-repatative? I’m trying to make my own version of AOMS.

You know not to ping thumbnail artists. Stop breaking rules you already know

I dont think ClicClac will help you redo his game…

1 Like

I’m not redoing it, @dynachamp. I’m making a game with original challenges, but it’s similar in the fact that I’m trying to make it not repetitive and annoying.

Also, I didn’t ping any artists. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve gtg work on my game. I’ll come back Friday to see the submitted thumbnails. Or if anyone pings me.

You pinged void fluffy dotn try to lie

You do realize that by drawing attention to a minor thing, you’re actually blowing it up more than it needs to be?
Just quit it and save whatever dignity you have left to face the truth or better- leave the topic.

:exploding_head: mindblowing :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Well, I don’t have a formula, but what we did in AoMS was to give every chapter a different gimmick. 3 and 4 had speed changes, 5 had cramped platforming, 2 had switching platforms, stuff like that. Lore goes a long way as well. A chapter with great lore can cover up an ok gimmick or even no gimmick. I’m on hiatus/break/retirement right now, so sorry for the late reply! Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I know how you feel, @ClicClac. :sweat_smile: Retirement is fun.

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot lore. :laughing:

So far I have a speed level, a level with bricks that disintegrate once you stand on it, a cave exploring level, a level where you must jump over fire, a castle with a poison lake, ect. Are those good gimmicks?

Summary

Also, I saw you quoted me in your bio. lol :smile:

@VoidFluffy, @boop, and @Blackjack, thanks for making thumbnails for my game! I really appreciate it. :smile:

Can you try to have your thumbnails to me by Friday (tomorrow) at noon? I’d like to get my game published before the weekend. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I can try! It might be right at noon though…

1 Like

Okay. If it’s a few minutes late, I won’t mind. :+1:

BTW, awesome pfp, @boop! Did u make that?

got it! =D

2 Likes

Wouldn’t jumping over fire just be the equivalent of jumping over really anything? Unless you made the fire spread for some sort of trial, or had it deal dmg over time. Castle with poison lake sounds more like a theme as well, but if you had it rise or pour down in curtains periodically, that might be a gimmick.

4 Likes

Uhh what do you mean by your own version of AoMS?

Non-repetitive gameplay tips:

1. Brainstorm a bunch of jump ideas before making them.
  2. Add some kind of gimmick at some point in the game.
  3. Switch directions!!
  4. Add different themed hazards (saws, lava, etc.)
1 Like

Well… 4 was more focused on jumps relating to one-block gaps (to prepare for chapters 5-7). The slowness was just to match the theme. is this off topic?

1 Like

I already have lava, but thanks for the idea for saws. Maybe I’ll add that in a future update. :smile:

@top-z, “my own version of AoMS” was poor wording; I mean that I’m trying to make a non-repetative platformer like yours with unique levels (each with a “gimmick”).

@WhoAmI, yes jumping over fire is just like jumping over anything but it knocks you out if you touch it. Good idea with the curtains of poison, tho.

1. Unique levels should really be in every platformer…
  2. Being knocked out after failing a jump is the same even without lava? There’s always going to be something to knock you out, even if it isn’t visible (example: the zones in aoms u touch after falling)
1 Like