The Ultimate Guide to Hollow Knight: Part 3 (Difficulty: 8/10 🟥)

hallo again! I am too addicted to Hollow Knight :man_facepalming: to stay away for too long… So I am back again. This part is a walk in the park compared to what we did last time :face_exhaling: phew. So I hope you enjoy installment 3! I love Hollow Knight so much and I hope you began to love Hollow Knight through these guides as well.

harharharhar83

alright im back at it again with another useless rant. i dont think anyone cares but i cannot get back into my actual account unless i do some special something that im too lazy and not active enough to want to do so i talk through this now exclusivley. only thing i have done is i got to help duplicate like three things in the game for the last guide and just looking at it was way too much for my tiny little itty bitty brain to handle so if you can handle it then great but if not thats fine since it was a lot. now im going to leave for another two weeks or so until my regularly scheduled paragraph :saluting_face: [1]

tired_rat

So here are the 8 parts to our Guide! Yippee Skippee!

Part 1: The Inventory & Map Menus Click Here
Part 2: The Charms Menu Click Here
Part 3: Resting (That’s this one)
Part 4: Locations/Mapmaking (In development)
Part 5: Items (Not out yet)
Part 6: Relics, Shards, Abilities, & Nails (Not out yet)
Part 7: Map Pins/Charms (Not out yet)
Part 8: The Hunter’s Journal (A Guide to Bugs) (Not out yet)
Part 9: Bosses (Not out yet)

Warnings

WARNING: Memory Intensive
WARNING: Device Intensive
WARNING: Includes Blocks
WARNING: Length Alert
WARNING: Major Repetition
WARNING: Unclear Sections
WARNING: Organization is key. Make sure you are organized!!!

Let’s jump right into:

[:scroll:] The Ultimate Guide to Hollow Knight

Resting

Intro: Hey guys! Make sure to read Part 1+2 before continuing! So, you’ve done that? Good! Now we are setting up the Knights health, as well as damage and benching systems! Get ready to jump into the world of Pseudo-Health!

Chapters:

1. Review
  2. Pseudo-Health
  3. Damage
  4. Bench System
  5. Polls

Review

In the last guide we finished establishing the menu system (thank goodness). Now if we look back on our menu system it will have an Inventory Menu and Check Map. The Charm Menu, completed last time, allowed players to find/equip charms, stop players from equipping charms based on certain conditions, and list all the charms equip.

Pseudo-Health

This part is setting up the Pseudo Health overlay. It is short, but repetitive (not a lot though).

Devices

• 15x Property
  • 1x Game Overlay
  • 1x Trigger

Game Overlay

For this overlay I am trying to recreate this:
However, I used :heart:s because they are a more common type of health-signifier-thing.[2]

Settings:
Set the overlay text to 🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍 and the overlay color to R 120 G 120 B 120. Have it run the following blockcode when receiving on Update Health:

Explanation:
Each heart represents one health, so you start the game with 5 health. Whenever the game overlay receives on Update Health it will combine all the health properties into one overlay. And yes, it is in order from greatest to least. We will hop into that later though. For now, just do what I say, and you will understand.

Properties 1-5 (Basic Masks)

I know the names seem in a funky order, just don’t question it.

Settings:
Set the default text to 🤍 and have it broadcast on Update Health when changed. Then give each one a unique name from the list:

Mask 9
Mask 8
Mask 7
Mask 6
Mask 5

Explanation:
Each of these properties keeps track of the status of each heart. For future reference:
:white_heart: = 1 Life
:black_heart: = Not a Life
:blue_heart: = Lifeblood

Properties 6-15 (Gainable Masks + Lifeblood)

Settings:
Have it broadcast on Update Health when changed. Then give each one a unique name from the list:

Mask 4
Mask 3
Mask 2
Mask 1
Lifeblood 6
Lifeblood 5
Lifeblood 4
Lifeblood 3
Lifeblood 2
Lifeblood 1

Explanation:
Each of these properties keeps track of the status of each heart.

Trigger

Trigger when receiving on +1 Mask, then run this blockcode:

Explanation:
When the player gains a mask (ie. transmitting on +1 Mask), it will check to see what slot is available to put the new mask (heart) into. If Mask 4 = " " (aka empty), it will set the heart to that slot. Then, it heals all the masks that you already had.

Damage

In this part we will be making the system that will damage players, here we will be making the system that takes away health and ki-lls the Knight if he drops to 0 Masks

Side Note

If you were wondering why it counts down instead of counts up. Why is the 9th Mask on the far left? This is because the 1st Mask (the one on the far right) will be the first Mask to be damaged.
Also, one again here is the list of what each heart meant:
:white_heart: = 1 Mask (1 Health)
:black_heart: = No Mask (No Health)
:blue_heart: = Lifeblood (This is specific mask that is like temporary health, cannot be healed back) For this system we are making TWO damage systems, one for dealing 1 damage and one for dealing 2 damage. I realize I could just loop the 1 damage but making the 2 damage one makes it look more authentic.

Devices

• 8x Trigger
  • 1x Respawn

Trigger (Damage 1 Start)

This trigger will start the 1 damage cycle

Settings:
When receiving on Damage, trigger and run this blockcode:

Explanation:
Whenever a player needs to take damage this trigger checks to see if it they have any Lifeblood. [3] If they do they have lifeblood it will transmit on Damage (Lifeblood) if they don’t it transmits on Damage (Masks).

Trigger (Damage 1 Lifeblood)

Settings:
When receiving on Damage (Lifeblood) trigger the trigger[4] and then run this blockcode:

Explanation:
When the computer says to take away Lifeblood, it will go down the list checking for which “Lifeblood Slot” has Lifeblood. After it finds the most recent slot with Lifeblood, it gets rid of it. Since Lifeblood is temporary then just replaces it with NOTHING.

Trigger (Damage 1 Masks)

Settings:
Trigger when receiving on Damage (Masks) and run this blockcode:

Explanation:
Similar to the last trigger, it will find the most recent “Mask Slot” with health. However, this time it will replace it with a black heart, representing a slot that has no health, however this Health can be healed back.

Now it is time for the double damage system.

Trigger (Damage 2 Start)

Settings:
When receiving on Damage 2, trigger and run this blockcode:

Explanation:
When a player has two Lifeblood (ie. Lifeblood Slot 5 filled) it will transmit on Damage (Lifeblood) 2. If a player has one Lifeblood (ie. Lifeblood Slot 6 filled) it will take away one Lifeblood and one Mask. If they don’t have any Lifeblood (ie. Lifeblood Slot 6 is empty) it will transmit on Damage (Masks) 2.

Trigger (Damage Lifeblood 2)

Settings:
When receiving on Damage (Lifeblood) 2 trigger the trigger. Then, run this blockcode:

Explanation:
Same as the other Lifeblood system, it takes away Lifeblood, however this time it takes 2 away.

Trigger (Damage Masks 2)

When receiving on Damage (Masks) 2 have the trigger run this blockcode:

Explanation:
Same as before, it takes away Masks however this time it takes two. You WILL run out of blockcode so you will see that when we get down to Mask 7 it will transmit on Damage (Masks) 2 [7+8], if only one health slot is remaining[5], it can’t do two damage, so it transmits on Damage (Masks)

Trigger (Damage Masks 2 “7+8”)

Settings:
Trigger when receiving on Damage (Masks) 2 [7+8] and run this blockcode:

Explanation:
Like before, it takes two Masks away. When the Knight loses Mask 9, it transmits on Ki-ll Knight.

Trigger (Ki-lling the Knight)

Settings:
When receiving on K-ill Knight, trigger the trigger. Give it a 1 second delay. Now have it transmit on Di-e Now when trigggered. Finally add this blockcode:

Explanation:
When the knight loses all health, it gives a 1 second delay the player can process they lost all health (similar to how when the knight di-es, this happens in Hollow Knight: image) Then, it restores all their health and transmits on Di-e Now.

Respawn

Settings:
Force the player to respawn when receiving on Di-e Now.

Explanation:
When receiving on Di-e Now, it will force the Knight to respawn.

Thats all for damaging! Next we move on to the Bench system.

Bench System

When we create this system, we have to create the unique part (some parts that you must recreate for every new bench) and the global part (you only have to make this once)

Unique

Devices/Props

• 1x Bench (Prop)
  • 1x Barrier
  • 2x Button
  • 1x Checkpoint
  • 2x Trigger

Bench

You’ll never believe what you do with this prop… YOU PLACE IT!!! (And turn collision off) (And place it in the Behind Layer).

Barrier

Settings:
Place this barrier under the bench like this:
Now set Visible In-Game to Off.

Explanation:
This is so it gives the illusion of the player sitting on the bench.

Button (Rest)

Settings:
The button message should say Rest and it should transmit on Bench [#][6]. Visible in Game should be Off and Interaction Duration should be Instant. Activated button when receiving on Unbenching and deactivate when receiving on Benching. Finally set the size too:

Explanation:
This button will only be pressable when on the bench (due to the size) and allow the player to “Rest” on the bench. When a player is resting, it deactivates.

Button 2 (Getting Off)

Settings:
The button message should say Get Off and it should transmit on Unbench [#]. Visible in Game should be Off and Interaction Duration should be Instant. Activate on game start is a No. Activated button when receiving on Benching and deactivate when receiving on Unbenching. Finally set the size too:

Explanation:
This button has a wider range to avoid softlocking the game, if the player rests and slides out of range of the button[7]. It is the opposite of the last button essentially.

Checkpoint

**Settings:*.
Set visible in-game to No and Activation Limit to Infinite. And set as activate checkpoint when receiving on Bench [#]. Place this on the bench, above the barrier.

Explanation:
When a player rests on a bench, there checkpoint gets set.

Trigger (Rest)

Settings:
Trigger when receiving on Bench [#] and transmit on Benching

Explanation:
This feeds the unique system into the global system. Instead of having to make the global system over every time, you add the trigger.

Trigger (Get Off)

Settings:
Trigger when receiving on Unbench [#] and transmit on Unbenching

Explanation:
Same as the previous one.

Global System

Devices

• 2x Triggers
  • 2x Speed Modifiers

Trigger (Benching)

Settings:
When receiving on Benching run this blockcode:

Explanation:
When a player gets on a bench, it sets “On Bench” property to true.

Trigger (Unbenching)

Settings:
When receiving on Unbenching run this blockcode:

Explanation:
When a player gets off a bench, it sets “On Bench” property to false.

Speed Modifier (Benching)

Settings:
When receiving on Benching set speed to 0.00.

Explanation:
When a player sits on a bench, they can’t move, as if they were actually sitting.

Speed Modifier (Benching)

Settings:
When receiving on Unbenching set speed to 1.00.

Explanation:
When a player gets off a bench, their speed resets to normal.

That’s all!

Polls

Are you enjoying these guides and should I keep making them?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
What is the difficulty?
  • 0/10 :white_large_square:
  • 1/10 :blue_square:
  • 2/10 :green_square:
  • 3/10 :green_square:
  • 4/10 :yellow_square:
  • 5/10 :yellow_square:
  • 6/10 :orange_square:
  • 7/10 :orange_square:
  • 8/10 :red_square:
  • 9/10 :red_square:
  • 10/10 :purple_square:
  • 11/10 :black_large_square:
0 voters

Outro: Thanks for reading guys! It will probably be a while till the next guide because I have to make all the items. Anyway. I’m really tired after all that I think I’ll sleep… :zzz: :wave:

1. TLDR; yapfest -harharharhar83 ↩︎

2. -_- I can explain things good, I promise. ↩︎

3. If slot 6 is filled with lifeblood they have one lifeblood, if slot 6+5 is filled, they have 2 lifeblood, it counts backwards like the Masks do ↩︎

4. why does he say trigger so much -tired_rat ↩︎

5. Why can’t you type “rem-ains”, only one health slot rem-ains. I get how that could be bad but, it also messes with my much more better grammar skills ↩︎

6. Whenever I put a [#] I mean to put a number there, so if it is bench one, it will transmit on Bench 1 ↩︎

7. not me speaking from experience ↩︎

14 Likes

I have no clue what hollow knight is but it sounds fun.
Good guide :+1:
Edit: oops, I read that wrong

7 Likes

This system heals ALL hearts, and else if only runs if the first if doesn’t run, therefore you need a new if for each heart
Is that right or am I crazy?
Edit: saw your edit

4 Likes

It’s awesome, hollow knight is just plain awesome… nothing more to say…
(EDIT: LET ME HEART POSTS AGAIN!!!)

4 Likes

you think you’ll run out of properties and memory?

great guide, really like them

5 Likes

Memory: This will definitely have the most memory on any game I’ve made, its already at 40-odd-something% So, maybe.
Properties: I think I’m mostly done with properties, so no.

5 Likes

I find this very intriguing and unique, keep up the amazing work and preserve all the way through!

5 Likes

The property limit is 128 iirc
So I don’t think they’ll run out anytime soon

4 Likes

HA, ONLY 40%? MY MAP HAS 94% MEMORY!

(joke, it does have 94% memory…)

4 Likes

Great Job @harharharhar83 I Love Hollow Knight

5 Likes

Same, hollow knight is cool
(I MUST WAIT 27 MINUTES TILL I CAN HEART AGIAN :rage:)

3 Likes

Yeah, but this one is at 35% JUST FROM THE MENU SYSTEM

4 Likes

no, he has 40% memory and he is only 3~4 partzs done…

4 Likes

EGADS! must be super complex!
(I got most my memory from somthing called, “THE ZAP TRAP”)

3 Likes

Good job @harharharhar83 love your hollow kight recreation.

3 Likes

@harharharhar83 can I make my own Hollow knight series or can I help you with this I really want to.

1 Like

I would love for you to help! I can send you a link to a collab padlet tonight at 9:30 PM eastern time. I am working on building a map right now.

5 Likes

Got any ideas for lifeblood? Good guide btw.

Edit: can i help with ur hk map too? ill pull my weight,

3 Likes

I am using pseudo-health, so when a player uses focus, it just ignore the pseudo-lifeblood.
However, when they are damaged, it gets rid of the pseudo-lifeblood.

Sure. I can really only do collabs at 9:30 EST and it really just depends on the day. I’m going to make a padlet where people can chat about making collabs together.

4 Likes

I can’t at 9:30 is 9:00 eastern okay?

3 Likes