How to make in-game shadows without camera views! (Difficulty: 🟧)

The first tutorial of its kind is here!!! Great for horror games and among us!

Items You will need:
Zones
Barriers with a 1.00 black tint.
Wire repeaters

DISCLAIMER

High memory usage if using triggers and limit amount of zones.

Making the flashlight

Ok place down zones (without changing the size) down in your area. Like this⬇️

Now get a bunch of black tinted barriers with an alpha of 1.00 and no borders like this. :arrow_down:
IMG_0148
Go into layers and put the barrier on top layer. Also make sure the barrier collison is off and set active scope to player.
Wiring Time!
Ok so copy all of the barriers and put them on top of all the zones, one barrier for each zone. Now we want a cross sort of pattern on the flashlight thing. Like this :arrow_down:

(Sorry if that pic is outdated, its from my early tests)
Ok so thats what the end goal should look like. Ok this is the complicated part. Have the zone the player is in deactivate all of the 1st barriers around the player. Player enters zone → deactivate barrier. Also wire the zone to the barriers that the player was just in. Player enters zone → activate barrier. So like this⬇️

(Sorry not the bottom circle):arrow_up:

Ok use wire repeaters with 0 delay to extend wire use in the zones. Ok when player enters zone deactivate all barriers around the player in a 1 barrier distance and activate any barrier over the 1 barrier distance. In the end it should work as when you enter one of the zones the barriers around dissiapear. I couldn’t add a video for some reason.

If wanted to use triggers

You would do the same thing except on a larger scale. The barriers would be the size of the triggers and you would need to deactivate more barriers at time. This option is memory costly, but worth it.

And thats it! If you liked this tutorial drop a like and any suggestions comment them down below! Also I’ll be adding more in the future updating the design! (The reason my name in the pictures was hi it was when i was taking the pics and needed to j0in again because my host gim froze)

15 Likes

This is very usefull. However, it seams to use a lot of memory. Do you think that you could find a way to cut down the use?

3 Likes

You could use channels.

2 Likes

Nice guide!

4 Likes

Is this guide finished?

2 Likes

This guide is helpful.

2 Likes

Nice guide!

2 Likes

No I’m still going to try to improve it. Thats why is a wip

Im sorry but that isn’t my name and that is off-topic. Please don’t post things like that. I have flagged your post.

guys please stay on topic

1 Like

Thats not my name and I have flagged you for moderation. Are you gimkitisfun because if you are alts are not allowed. Now please leave me alone.

i have flagged you to the moderators, @BobLikesDonuts and I sudjest you keep your words in your mouth with it closed.

The whole reason of “being underaged” is quite the doozy and requires a lot of legal stuff that I have no idea about, but here’s basically the gist of it:

C.O.P.P.A. (or Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) is a rule in the U.S. that sites cannot collect data (without permission) on children under 13 years old, unless someone like a parent or guardian is involved. Many sites, like discord or fandom, simply don’t want to go through the trouble of sorting through correctly-underaged people (I think) or people that don’t have guardians watching them, so they just ban children under 13.

There can be a ton of legal trouble and fines if your site is found to violate this law, and even gimkit is technically 13+ (of course no one on the planet actually cares about this at this point, but it is in the T.O.S.), and the default terms of service for discourse even says that the forums are 13+. So yeah that’s basically why being underaged exists. Blame COPPA.

3 Likes

Please don’t post off-topic things.

3 Likes

Yeah, so people are still talking so I’m flagging every single post after this related to the situation.

1 Like

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 36 hours.

Please dont post off topic

1 Like

No one is banned, but like @The_7th_Dragon, please stay on topic.

1 Like

For among us, you could probably simplify with this with zones in the room you’re in and every room has a giant barrier over them.

1 Like