Configurations after game start

How many different things can you allow the player to configure about their character after the game starts?

2 Likes

What do you mean?

2 Likes

Like how in Mario Kart, you can add parts that change speed, weight, etc. In Gimkit, there is no weight factor, but there is speed and shield. What other configurable factors could we add to a racing game in Gimkit?

1 Like

I guess you can find a way to add acceleration at the start of the race from the speed boost thing. I think in Mario Kart Tour you get unique items based on your character.

2 Likes

Maybe for traction you could make the player faster in some places?

My main focus right now is on drifting and MTs. Drifting can help you take corners faster, but can also mess you up if you do it wrong, due to it causing a totally different movement mechanic. What could an equivalent in Gimkit be, considering that there is currently no way to disable certain directional keys?

1 Like

Hmmm, something like that is pretty complicated. As of now, speed modifiers and movement meters are our best bet for something similar to this. At the top of my head, you could make a button increase your speed but temporarily decreases it if you hit an obstacle or the edge of the track. While it’s not very similar to drifting, it still has the same idea of being rewarding if you use it correctly.

Either that or you could make drifting only usable in the corners. Have a zone that increases your speed but the buff is removed when you hit an obstacle.

3 Likes

Do you think that rapidly cycling between low and high speed would be jarring enough?

2 Likes

That works. It still has the idea of it being jarring and somewhat difficult to control.

3 Likes

I agree

so, i dont play mario kart but i do know there are shells. some people are using gadges, but what if you pop a prop infront of them. it doesn’t even have to have animation. you just press a game overlay that brings a popup to hit left or right. there could then be zones, and a prop appears in front of them, via block code, and if they hit it they lose speed or something. don’t really know what happens if you hit the turtle. also the in game trail by @WhoAmI would be cool in this. heres the link: How to Make your own in-game trail

put down (invisible in game) trigger devices that modify speed and make sure that the players step on them

Hey! Please don’t post on topics that haven’t had activity in ten months! We call in necroposting, and it isn’t a good thing, so please avoid it in the future. Luckily the owner of the post is active, so I can do this:
@ClicClac just mark a solution so this doesn’t happen again. (Clic I saw you like this just mark somebody’s post as a solution already I really don’t care which one just mark one)

1 Like