Advanced Update Order | Difficulty: 🟪

From above:

1 Like

I already found the modulus, and why do you need the argument?

1 Like

You take out i when finding distance from zero.

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

Because… I want it.

2 Likes

I’ll just find the argument myself.

0.4 + 0.6i, modulus is arctan(3/2) degrees, and those two are in the first quadrant so there’s no additional angle.

1 Like

The point of finding the distance is be able to calculate absolute value of imaginary numbers, also known as the modulus. If we think about the problem geometrically, the way we calculate the distance is to get divide the imaginary half of the complex number by i, so we can graph the point on the Cartesian plane and find the slope of the point and (0,0).

1 Like

What @ClicClac said lol.

1 Like

But, distance to zero means that x ± distance = 0. How can the imaginary number + real number answer = 0?

1 Like

56 degrees, or Pi/3.214 radians if I converted right.

1 Like

I think. Use radians, though.

1 Like

Notice how this is similar to 2D vectors. The direction angle theta, and the magnitude. This is because when you think about it, both construct a triangle in the polar system and for vectors.

A vector’s components can give the magnitude, which is the size/length of the vector. The direction angle can be given by the same formula as the argument of a complex number.

In ways, some math is pretty similar to other math in a lot of ways.

1 Like

so you didn’t do it all by yourself, did you?

1 Like

I did, just that I did it wrong. Here is the correction:

Distance is:
a^2+b^2=c^2
(0.4)^2+(0.6)^2=c^2
0.16+(0.36)=c^2
0.16+0.36=c^2
c^2=0.52
c=sqrt(0.52)
c=~0.721110255

3 Likes

whatd you score

4 Likes

4 Likes

oh nice

4 Likes

Woah, I just Googled it, that means your SUPER smart. Wow.

3 Likes

That’s cool.

2 Likes

@mysz and @ClicClac, because of you guys I learned more about graphing complex numbers and all about modulus and arguments. Thanks so much!

2 Likes