Advanced Update Order | Difficulty: đŸŸȘ

another bump to confuse new users

(there you go @NavyCatZ)

5 Likes

Question:

If I made a channel, then wired something to something else, would the wire always act second, even if I deleted and replaced one of the devices that use the channel?

1 Like

Because of the way channels are triggered, it could be either one I think

1 Like

I got my modified popup shop to work. Just a bit of channel shuffling.

1 Like

Confuse new users bump

2 Likes

In one of my recent projects, AUO was actually somewhat useful. I wanted to limit the total number of items a player could hold to 1, dropping any excess items instead of destroying them. This ended up being more challenging than I thought, and the solution I came up with involved giving the player overfill of the excess item and then instantly removing it from their inventory. Without AUO, the small delay between the two actions caused an annoying +1 item popup to appear for the item which was about to be removed from the inventory. Correcting for the update order greatly improved the user experience and simplified the wiring. AUO pulled through big time!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and glad this was useful for you! AUO may be a bit hard to understand, but it’s a lifesaver in some situations.

4 Likes

Wait, not trying to discount your solution, but couldn’t you just use an inventory item manager?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Taxes! Check out the beginner-must-read and forum-tips for more easy help! Read the Community Guidelines for a gist of the rules. If you ever run into a hard problem, talk to anyone in @trust_level_3. They can help you with hard and in-depth concepts and mechanics!

Wow, a new user that already understands AUO. You don’t see that every day.

3 Likes

Nice job and welcome to the forum! You could include this in here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the guidance!

3 Likes

No problem! I do what I can, whenever I can!

2 Likes

Just because they’re new doesn’t mean they don’t know anything

3 Likes

For this specific problem I couldn’t. I needed to limit the TOTAL number of items, meaning a player couldn’t hold multiple different items as well. Limiting in this way is currently not possible with a single inventory item manager, although the manager is still a part of the solution I found. Hope that answers your question.

2 Likes

@Blackhole927 did you use a website to get the image?
Oh wait nevermind i see where you went with this.

1 Like

Let’s stay on topic guys
 all this google stuff is cool but let’s try not to get this post closed.

4 Likes

Bump :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is partly a bump and partly a reminder/update to this guide:

AUO does not just work for wires. It actually works for all devices that can be found in-game, as far as I know. (not including props, those haven’t been tested yet)

4 Likes

Very, very, very interesting, although it turned into a math chat in the middle.

1 Like

Is this because wires function on checks every tick?

1 Like