Understanding Game Design

There is a lot that goes into game design, more than what most people think. To make things simple, yet understandable, game design can be split into two parts. Graphic Design and Functionality, or better known as Code. With these two main factors, game design becomes possible. And on the GCF(Gimkit Creative Forum), there are lots of users who are good at these points. Some are more promanite in certain areas, and some are not as promanite in any. The only point in which you will need to know who is better suited for which types of questions, is so you know you are getting a reliable, understandable, and functional answers.

-Functionality (Code)
Code is what makes up 50%-75% of a game. Code consist of blocks, java script, python, and many more. But in Gimkit Creative, code is the devices, blocks, wires, and channels. The more complex systems and functions you wish to make, the longer and more challenging it will get. This is because the more you simplify code, the less it does, which means the more complex systems are, the more broken down code is. The most promanit helpers on the GCF for code are @getrithekd, @Shdwy, and @Haiasi.

-Graphic Design
Graphic design is what you see and hear. This is anywhere from the gameā€™s map, to the gameā€™s music, all of it is Graphic design. Graphic design can be catigorized as art and most of the time is only thought of as art. And because of people seeing art as, not very hard or challenging, it gets overlooked. People donā€™t think that to have a good map that you need to put a lot of time and effort into what players see, just as long as there is something there. But to define graphic design, it is the definition or realistic of the map, the scale, shape, and size of the map, props, items, etc. Gimkit Creatives graphical design is under the Terrain and Props section. The most promanite helpers in this catigory are @Blackfox45666 and myself.

Some people are better at graphic design, and not good in code. And some are good in code, but not graphic design. You may not be good at any, or better at one section and not the other. Neither matters except the work and quality. But if I missed anything in this guide or would like to have added to this guide, please let me know. I wish for this guide to be used well and helpful for those new to GKC.

Keep on being creative,
-@WolfTechnology

8 Likes

Nice @WolfTechnology. Another great guide from a master.

4 Likes

Wow! Impressive.

2 Likes

Nice Guide!
Just so you know, new-user-must-read is used for forum-guides and beginner-must-read is used for Gimkit Creative guides.

haha why me lol thanks but iā€™m not that good at blocks.

3 Likes

Nice guide, @WolfTechnology!

2 Likes

Because myzs left, and blackhole left, plus you know a good amount of code. And thanks @Norwegia, @Blizzy and @The_7th_Dragon!

4 Likes

thanks wolf (for the compliment)i mostly do animations now and try to make things seem realistic tho im not too sure if im the most prominent in this but 30/70 could be i mean who knows? (also good guide helps peeps understand a bit more about game design and all the things about it)

2 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m in the middle, but more on the functionality side. I know my way around devices, and honestly i hate having to add tiny details to things(graphic design).

3 Likes

I only do art when I use it in games, but Iā€™m pretty good too. I donā€™t know.

2 Likes

@WolfTechnology Too

2 Likes

I agree, when I make maps I usually just use the stock props.

2 Likes

Heā€™s more art then blocks(no offense)

2 Likes

Your welcome, there realy isnā€™t many poeple who are great at art, people are good at it, butnot like, wow. So that is why i put you up there because you have made some nice things, art related.

3 Likes

Thanks, but I know very little block code and am not the most helpful with devices, i understad them, but not a whole lot.

1 Like

but anyways lets try not to turn this guideĀ“s replies into whos the most prominent

4 Likes