The Atoms of Gimkit

vending machines can be made with checkers and item granters.
it also uses less memory but not a big difference
wc

4 Likes

Yeah, but vending machines are visible.

Add in a blackboard prop to make something like a vending machine.

Yeah, but still. The blackboard doesn’t look that much like it. There are stripes on the vending machine! Ahem.

Put some suspension of disbelief on top, and it looks exactly the same.

i agree that the checker - item granter method for a vending machine takes up a little less memory than an actual vending machine, but think of how much more can be accomplished with vending machines only for a little more memory. For example, funding, and item descriptions. You can also customize the colors of a vending machine. They also have adaptive cost, and stock. Actually tbh i never even thought of the stock option, it could be used in games that have grocery stores.

5 Likes

Yeah, funding and adaptive cost hit hard when you think about it. And stock it really nice too, although it was only used in farmchain.

5 Likes

Stock can be for a limited amount of cash upgrades in tycoons…

4 Likes

Lifecycles + Relays can be approximated using a global property, that is considered changed on game start, and broadcasts on message “idk” when it’s changed. This property can be completely unused.

4 Likes

This uses 10 memory, but takes up 1/128 properties (however, in a normal game you would probably not be using all 128 properties).

2 Likes

In MOST games you wouldn’t use more than 100, unless your map is close to 100%.

Yep, so this quick memory save can be pretty useful!

2 Likes

I want to see where you’re going with the atoms… I think I know, but do elaborate.

I was bored, watched the complete history of the A Button Challenge (amazing documentary btw), and thought, “huh. What would be the Gimkit equivalent of this?”

Oh. So you’re not going to take this anywhere… this is not useful or practical, but intriguing.

2 Likes

What if you tried making a game with all these device systems?

Or a demonstration. That would be fun!

We could compile how much memory each device system takes up (including blocks and wires), then see which ones we could substitute!

4 Likes

Maybe this’ll get a reference in a meme video (I’m hoping for gimvengers v. green fish), like how the ABC got mentioned heavily in speedrunner Mario v. Melee Fox.

That’s almost word for word what I was typing!