Text Operations (collab w/ getrithekd, wip, dont click or edit please)

this is why i love you and blackhole927 (do not take this out of context)

edit:

4 Likes

So we are using digits to represent characters. The largest digit value + 1 is the base we are using. To get the nth digit, we have to mod out all the digits representing the larger values. After that, we divide by the value that represents the digit we want. We still have crumbs from the smaller digit values, so we floor it.

Now that I think of it, for ONLY pure finding the nth digit, flooring isn’t necessary if you use greater than while decoding.

Wait that was just the thing for flooring and mods. Do you want the intuition for the other stuff? If no, then bad for you.

In CS, strings (text) are represented as lists of characters. And now it should make sense.

I want to know everything.

@Blackhole927! I just understood why the real first thing stored in a list is called the 0th element! This makes so much sense! The element number represents the exponent of the base you are using!

@mysz. Most of the stuff was done by BlackHole. I have to go now, so ask him.

1 Like

Good for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

1 Like

this is a certified :electroll: moment

Everything ever (gotta expand my knowledge of this encoding stuff to be smort)

I’m still trying to figure out the logistics of base 49 encoding lol

What is the purpose of base 49?

To store 49 characters as a single digit number

And how would that work

Well like there are 42 numbers before you hit double digits

49, right?

I just realized how hard that was, using key codes.

We would need functions for everything.

@mysz, here:

So we have numbers 1-9, right? Base 49 would have numbers 1-49, with more symbols for every number greater than 9. However, the computer doesn’t support base 49. It only supports base 10. So we have to make lots of conversions to base 49 to get the data that we encoded in base 49.

Well there is a problem, the math required for base 49 manipulations without converting to base 49 is gonna be a pain

1 Like

This is some really :brain: :brain: :brain: stuff.

1 Like

So base 72 then.

Yeah. Base 72 is better when there are more shifts and caps, but base 49 is better with less shifts or caps.