Text Entry System

How does the counter system work? I don’t quite understand it.

THOUSANDS??? WHAT???

also tyvm for the tag, gonna go put it on every guide i have lol

@Grey_Stone the system in the guide or the system i talked about?

1 Like

Both, I guess?

Not actually. Maybe 41.

Shouldn’t it be 72?

1 Like

Do any of them have blocks?
And where are you getting 72 from, rithek?

2 Likes

Its I think the total number of characters on the keyboard. Its somewhere in the comments of the text operations guide.

1 Like

Uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters above the numbers.
Shouldn’t it be 94 because you have more special characters to the right of the letters?
`1234567890-=~!@#$%^&*()_+qwertyuiop[
]\QWERTYUIOP{}|asdfghjkl;'ASDFGHJKL:"zxcvbnm,./ZXCVBNM<>?

1 Like

Then you need 2 for each letter, which is at least 52. And then 20 for the numbers.

2 Likes

I’m not doing uppercase. I’m just using 1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,.?!

You can add the others, if you want, though.

I have an idea for the shift. Instead of activating and deactivating counters and buttons, we make it alter a {0,1} property. If the property is 1, then the game adds 36 to the number ID.

3 Likes

You could add uppercase if you want. I don’t think it would affect players a lot though.

1 Like

I would just use a shift and/or caps lock button to add uppercase.

Wait, ok, how much memory does the system take in total?

1 Like

Honestly? Haven’t tried it yet. The concept seems like it would work. I think it would. I just need to test it.

now that i read this it seems similar to something i said on apoll02s guide

2 Likes

They Really need to add a text device! That would be cool!

they already have a text device

Oh, I mean Chat Device

I think I understand what you are doing. Each button increments their own counter which is 1 under its target. The target is like 1 for a, 2 for b, etc. All the counters have the same property. When that property is changed, the text figures out which one it was using the number it is set to. Then, all counters are reset, but the signal to the text for it to change is blocked using a trigger. Then, the system is ready for another input. There could also be a shift button that allows you to input uppercase. All you need is to add a little modifier in the text’s code. This would save you about 500 memory per key, and be very memory efficient.

1 Like