I need ideas and gameplay tips for a horror game I'm trying to make!

Hey, I’m trying to make a horror game, and it’s gonna be a bit like Five Nights At Freddy’s: You have to survive until a certain time. I am still working on it, and I’m still thinking of names. Basically, you’re inside this old abandoned mansion that your friends dared you to sleep in for a night, and strange things start to happen. Unlike FNAF, you can actually move around. Here’s the ideas I’ve considered for the game, too:

• Certain areas, like hallways, are gonna be more dark, and as such, if you don’t have a flashlight, you’ll move slower so you don’t trip on anything or something like that.

• The bedroom is a safe area, but staying in it for too long will result in a game over. The indicator to get out will be flickering lights or something.

• At first, it’ll be a more-so normal looking game, but as you complete puzzles, it’ll start becoming the TRUE game.

• Some areas will have things that you need, like a key or a crafting table, and you’ll need to complete a puzzle to get access.

I hope I can get some good tips, and I’ll be sure to credit you for your idea when it releases, if your idea makes it into the game! Have an amazing day! (I can’t figure out a flashlight thing. I’ve gotten the slow when in darkness thing done, but to disable it when you press a overlay linked to the flashlight is the hard part)

This is the certified scentance of approval
:leftwards_hand: :nerd_face: :palm_up_hand:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Read the blue banner at the top of every page and check out the must-read and forum beginner guides!
Please also read FAQ and TOS!
I’m going to get ideas, just wait

3 Likes

Okay, here are some links

3 Likes

Larry & Lawrie?!
Welcome to the forums @AshriLikesPepsi!

No idea what that means…

What ideas do you need exactly? Gameplay mechanics ideas?

3 Likes

Snom is not mine, btw Sythic made it.
Also I know this isn’t entirely a FNAF game, I’m getting tips right now

2 Likes

So, yea, I’ll need some gameplay mechanics ideas! Also, it starting out as a normal looking game means that it won’t be THAT obvious that it’s actually a horror game!

1 Like

Kind of like my weird strict dad. Gotcha!
Would you like me to come up with puzzle ideas? Or something else?

1 Like

I love how derpy bro looks, though! Holy crud, Snom is just too cute!

2 Likes

Aright for number 1:
To make the rooms seem dark grab a barrier and tint it so it is black. Then go to the alpha setting, and set it to something low.
Then, use a checker to track if the player has the flashlight or not. If they don’t, send on a channel that decreases player speed.
I’ll maybe give a better explanation, if I have time.

1 Like

Sythic uses Snom but Snom was actually found in the Gimkit Creative 2.0 files I believe.

2 Likes

I mean, for like the poster part of it.
For number four, use a button and a checker. Don’t have time to explain so I’ll come back later, gtg!

For number 2 (bedroom):
You will need these devices: Zone, 3 triggers, 2 counters (1 for cheating failsafe), and an end game device.
The mechanic: when the player enters the zone, a timer starts. when a player leaves the zone, another timer starts and when the time is up, the original timer is reset and ready for activation. when the player enters the zone the timer that resets the original timer is reset. when the original timer’s time is up, then the game ends (or a jumpscare is triggered and then the game ends).

i’m starting to not put full solutions up because forums provide help not direct answers. the best way to learn is to teach.

3 Likes

sythic did not make it, he took it from a wiki drawing challenge I am pretty sure.

1 Like

He has a canva though.
For number three, use events (channels) and triggers. Or if it’s time based, use a counter that increments every second and when it reaches a certain time, use a channel to make the game more horror.

it’s a she. i think.
also, sythic makes the slides, yes, just not the gim.
back on topic buckaroos

1 Like

Ran out of likes. . .
Wait sythic is a she?

Some name ideas:

• Haunted (something, examples: house, mansion, rooms, labyrinth, etc)
  • Sleepover Escape
  • Puzzle Escape
  • Puzzle Horror
  • Haunted Escape
  • Haunted Puzzles
  • Scary Halls
  • Cursed Castle Escape
  • Five nights at puzzles
  • Dark Mansion
  • Creepy Breakout
  • Detective in Horror

Coming up with more

Here a name suggestion: jump scares and mysteries
Sorry it’s kinda bad

1 Like

hmmm…Make it in the daylight at the start and a normal-looking town with a hint of creepyness(uncanny valley shops/scarecrows or stuff)…And you and your friends are talking, then you go into the mansion.

2 Likes

Name ideas: THE MANSION, A night in the mansion, Mansion of horror.

What about: “Midnight at Horror Mansion”

1 Like