How to make First-Person Interface (Challenge: 3/10)

@CARROTGaming and I have been experimenting with a way to make a prop, such as a command table or desk zoom so that the player can interact with objects on it or press buttons without the player’s Gim being shown:

This could be used to make surfaces with, say, evidence for a mystery like in Jenny Leclue DetectiveU. (a videogame).

1. Add two of the prop that you want the player to inspect. Make one of the props large enough so that you can move your Gim around inside it. Make sure that the large prop has shadows disabled and has collision off (if applicable).

1. Add a button in front of the smaller prop and change the message to whatever you want. The button interaction time should be 1 or instant. Wire the button to a teleporter in the middle of the large prop. Make both the button and teleporter not visible in game. Move the large prop to the Above layer. (You may have to configure the teleporter before you put it on the prop.)

1. Add invisible barriers around the large prop so that the player cannot leave it. As you can see in the below picture, when in doubt always make the barriers larger than you think you need. They’re invisible, so the player won’t care.

1. Add a camera view over the large prop. (If you picked a prop with inconsistent width like the computer, which I picked, with you’ll need to be careful about adding scenery around the prop or else the player will see the background terrain of your map.) This is where you can get creative! You can make the camera view hang off of the large prop so that you can show details on the sides, such as a prop that is next to the small prop in your map.

1. Okay, I guess this is also where you can get creative (Awkward!). Anyway, You’ll need another invisible button (or any other device you can interact with). Move it literally anywhere you want the player to be able to interact with the prop. In my case, I’m wiring it to text in the monitor, so that you can turn on the computer. You can do whatever you want!

The ultimate effect of this is that the camera is following the player’s Gim, although the Gim is hidden by the prop. This results in the player seeing the camera pan around the prop as though it were a point-and-click game.

6 Likes

Wow! This is really cool! I’ve always wondered how to do fps and stuff in GKC…

hmmm, why didn’t i think of that lol? also, nice guide

This is really cool.
(Gonna be using this soon)

ok! this might be one of the coolest discoveries for a while!

1 Like

Wow, this guide is great! FNAF is about to get CRAZY.

Yea, me and Hack3rz are planning on a puzzle map (probably with a horror theme) with heavy usage of this feature, so stay posted!

2 Likes

Can’t wait! (put the name in your bio upon release so I can play it!!!)
EDIT: not advertising as long as you don’t post links or give names…
EDIT EDIT: Heyo peko!

(Sorry if that counted as advertising)

Will do! Thanks for the support. EDIT: also please note that most of the work that we do (we meaning me and Hach3rz) on our maps is during school, so it might take a while. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I wanna play it 2!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: no, it’s not advertisment

Summary

…OHHHH ok, tbh @THEHACKER120, i liked jkhacker more… soooo y aren’t u in thingy? U MISSED SO MUCH…

2 Likes

Hmmm. This might work a ton if it were like the FNAF cameras, switching around different views.
(Not trying to be rude, this is a great guide, but) the Gim can still move around inside the prop, right? Not really an amazing FP Perspective. And also, thanks to GimKit’s low device count, there is no “Perspective Switcher.” If there was, then work would be reduced for cams!
The frames it takes in FP, though… might not get added…

Oh yeah, one of the only flaws with this is that coordination can be hard, sense you can’t actually see the gim.

1 Like

Last thing: I also made a guide for realistic shading/shaders for Gimkit, so maybe check that out?

1 Like

… I think I’m currently in the process of addicting myself to social media, so toodloo!

THAT is advertising kinda idk.
Make a test room so that players can get used to recognizing their coordinates.
Have an overlay say if there is an obstacle in the way.