How to make a "the cake is a lie" trap [⬜1/10]

Want to make a trap like the “the cake is a lie” trap from Portal? Just follow this guide!

Items needed
  • 1 Zone
  • 2 Speed modifiers
  • 1 Trigger
  • 1 Respawn
  • 1 Life Cycle
  • 1 Wire Repeater
Building the cake

There are many different ways to make the cake! I simply used 2 colored barriers, but you can do something different.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 205500

Building the "net"

Now we will make the part where it stops the player when they try going to the cake, like a net! You will have to use the zone and speed modifier for this.

1. Place a zone on your cake, and size it as needed. Ensure the zone is big enough so the player can’t reach the cake before touching the zone.
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 205720

2. Add a speed modifier next to the zone.
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 210805

3. Wire the zone and the speed modifier like this:

4. Configure the speed modifier like this:
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 211046

Try testing it out. If it worked, the results should be similar to the video below. Once I go near the cake, I can’t move.
ezgif-4-b51ca5a72f

Respawning the player

Now to finish, you will need a Trigger and a Respawn device.

1. Place the trigger next to the zone.

2. Wire the zone and the trigger like this:

3. Configure the trigger like this:
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 212614
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 214850

4. Add the respawn device next to the zone.
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 213018

5. Wire the trigger and respawn device like this:

If you have done everything properly, it should work and the result should be similar to the video below!
ezgif-3-d90f06d842

Resetting

Leaving it this way will make it so you cannot move again, even after respawning. There is a simple fix to this! You will need to place down the second speed modifier for this and a wire repeater.

1. Wire the trigger to the wire repeater like this:

2. Wire the wire repeater to the NEW speed modifier like this:

3. Configure the wire repeater like this:
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 215350

You are now done! Try it out. (Tip: Try experimenting with the delay on the wire repeater to see what matches best)

CHALLENGE: Try making the incinerator from Portal and implement it into this trap!
CHALLENGE: Try replacing the trigger with a wire repeater!

Difficulty:

0 voters
7 Likes

great guide! You forgot to add one thing: since the speed modifier doesn’t change the speed back to 1.00 when the player respawns use a life cycle (on knockout) and another speed modifier (x1.00). [event occurs → set player to configurede speed]. Again, great guide!
EDIT: why did someone vote 10 difficulty

3 Likes

Alright! I didn’t know that, thanks! I will add that to the guide.

1 Like

Nice, small but sweet.

WHO VOTED 10 :skull::clown_face::skull:

2 Likes

It’s a really good guide, but I noticed a tiny problem. It seems like in the trigger settings, it doesn’t show the “Trigger by player collision” image on your guide. I don’t know if you just forgot to take a screenshot, or your cake has a bug :exploding_head:. Nevertheless, your guide is awesome!

1 Like

You can’t use a lifecycle because you aren’t technically knocked out if you just use a respawn device(same with a laser). @Akari , what I would do is wire the button to a wire repeater(button pressed, repeat the wire pulse). Make sure the wire repeater has a delay that is long enough(maybe like 1.5 seconds), then wire it to a speed modifier(1.00 Speed)like this: when wire repeater receives pulse, set to configured speed

2 Likes

NO IT MY WORSE WEAKNESS CAKE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

great guide btw LOL

1 Like

Wait, the cake was a lie???

2 Likes

yes it always has been WE’RE ALL DOOOOOMMED

3 Likes

Tested it, and it works. Thanks. Putting this into the guide!

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me!

1 Like