How to make a multi-life system and a 1-up. Difficulty: 2.5/10 đźź©

I couldn’t find many guides about this, so I decided to make a guide. This is my first guide, so I hope it’s good!

So you want a game where you get a certain amount of lives and when you die you lose one and respawn. Here’s how you do it.

Also, you might want a One-up like from the Super Mario Bros. series. For those who don’t know, a 1-up is an object that gives you an extra life. For example, say you had 2 lives, and you grabbed a 1-up. Now you have 3 lives. I’ll show you how to make one after the multi-life system part of the guide.

Materials for multi-life system

1 lifecycle device
1 counter device
1 end game device/ 1 team switcher device (Decide whether running out of lives ends the game or stops the KO’d player from playing)

Device settings for multi-life system
Steps for multi-life system

Now that that’s done, we can start wiring.
Wire the lifecycle to the counter with the settings (Event occurs–decrement counter)
Screenshot 2024-03-20 1.08.02 PM

Wire the counter to the end game or the team switcher (The required settings are the only options)
This should be what the finished product looks like
Screenshot 2024-03-20 1.10.27 PM

And you’re done! The game will end once you die a certain amount of times.
Edit: with the help of @Xa67 's (for some reason deleted) post and some guides I searched up about blocks, I figured out how to make your lives show!

Materials for life amount shown

1 overlay device
1 property device
1 lifecycle device

The following are materials that were used in the previous part that you should not duplicate:
The lifecycle
The counter

Settings for life amount shown

The overlay should have both scopes on “player,” unless everyone is sharing lives.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 6.08.34 PM
The property should be named. I chose Lifeshow for my property name. It should be a number property with the default value of 3. The scope should be on player unless everyone shares lives.

The new lifecycle should broadcast on a channel, which I named Gamestart.

Previous material setting changes:
The counter should have the “update property” setting on yes. The property it should update is the property you made for this.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 6.29.07 PM
The old lifecycle should broadcast on a channel. I named its channel Dead.

Steps for life amount shown

Go to the overlay’s block settings. Make a block that triggers when activated by the new lifecycle’s channel, Gamestart.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 6.35.39 PM
Code the blocks like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-20 6.38.21 PM
Then make another block for the channel Dead with the exact same code.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 6.41.17 PM
Now it should show. This coding currently doesn’t show how to include the 1-up in the life show. I’ll tell you how to do that after the 1-up section of the guide.

Now for the 1-up section.

Disclaimer: the way my 1-up works is for my life system. If you already have one, you could either adjust the 1-up to fit, or you could adjust your life system.

Once again, for those who don’t know, a 1-up is an object that gives you an extra life. For example, say you had 2 lives and you grabbed a 1-up. Now you have 3 lives.

Materials for the 1-up

1 zone device
1 item image device
1 wire repeater device
The counter from the previous guide, do not make a new one.

Device settings for the 1-up
  • The zone should be a circle, and it should be shrunk all the way.
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 2.32.19 PM

• The item image should be what you want to represent the 1-up, I chose a gimberry. You don’t have to make it a gimberry, it’s just what I chose. Make sure its scope is global because you can’t change the zone scope and the zone’s scope is global.
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 2.33.06 PM

• You don’t need to change the wire repeater settings

Steps for the 1-up

Now it’s time to start wiring. Wire the zone to the item image with the settings (Player enters zone–hide item image)

Now put the zone on top of the item image.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 2.42.10 PM
Wire the zone to the wire repeater with the settings (Player enters zone–repeat wire pulse)

Wire the wire repeater to the zone with the settings (Wire repeater receives a pulse–deactivate zone)

It should look like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-20 2.44.40 PM
Finally, wire the zone to the counter with the settings (Player enters zone–increment counter)

And you’re done! This is what the finished 1-up should look like:
Screenshot 2024-03-20 2.54.13 PM
And this is what the finished 1-up + multi-life system should look like:

Now to include the 1-up counting up on the overlay. This step is so short, I might as well put all the information here:

Updating the overlay when 1-up is grabbed

The zone should broadcast on a channel when it is entered. I named the channel One-up.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 9.27.11 PM
In the overlay, add one more block for that same channel.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 9.28.47 PM
And repeat that same code from earlier one last time.

That’s the end!
Please like the guide and tell me if I made a mistake or wasn’t very clear on something. Thank you!

7 Likes

I’m getting off for now, so I might not respond to the next messages for a while.

Noice first guide

2 Likes

I like it! I’ve been trying to find a guide like this, but I just gave up. This was a while ago, but this is great! Detail, Wires, a whole lotta stuff! Guide’s great!

2 Likes

Thank you @THEHACKER120 and @GimGuy ! It means a lot to me since this is my first guide!

The difficulty is a colored square emoji. so for 2/10 which is the most voted on difficulty, is a :green_square:.

1 Like

Great Job! looks interesting

haha… have you seen click clac’s guide? 11/10

1 Like

I meant my own guide. I just edited it.

Thank you

Yeah but it is hard like 11/10. I tried to follow it but got lost after a couple minutes…

1 Like

Bump (I’m allowed to do this in this scenario, right? Sorry if I’m not)

Yeah. You can bump less than 5 days now.

1 Like

Awesome guide! (I can’t wait for my birthday and start using platforming!) Also, you may want to make sure players know they don’t have to use a gimberry, also maybe 3/10 because of blocks.

3 Likes

Oh i didnt know my deleted post was right lol, nice inclusion of blocks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I edited the guide.

I don’t recommand bumping your own guides too often.

Since when?

Ummm since @Cellofive made in little “speech” in @Haiasi 's among us guide.

is there a way to do this were you lives are shown in a overlay?

The info about that is in this part below, @Gimkit_kid .

This part below

wut Is a 1 up?