How to make a moving river! [3/10]

hello! in this guide, i will show you how to make a waterfall, whilst using the magnet effect.

shall we begin? :]

what is the magnet effect?

If you dont know what the magnet effect is, its where you move without actually moving (psuedo moving? lol). for example, the player could be moving left, even though the ‘a’ key isn’t being pressed, just like a magnet would slowly pull you in, or a current in a river.

design

if you clicked on this guide, hoping to see how to make the ‘fall’ part of the water fall, sorry. this is going to be the top of the waterfall, or the river that leads into it.

start with some water terrain, basically a river. I’m making mine a 10x3, but you can make this bigger or smaller.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.16.23 PM

at one end of the river, add light blue circles using barriers. this will be the foam edge of the water fall, i guess the fall part. if you’re going for details, make them different sizes.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.19.45 PM

now, add some sand around the edges of the water fall.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.24.48 P Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.28.16 PM|590x448 M

this part is optional, but you could add some props around the waterfall. Maybe some trees or coral would look nice!
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.28.16 PM

devices

time for the nerdy stuff.

first, make sure there are barriers all around the river, except for the beginning, or the part where the player enters. make sure they’re invisible in game.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.33.57 PM

add teleporters for each terrain river terrian square. for example, my river was 10x3, so i added 30 teleporters. technically you /could/ do less, but it looks better with more.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 8.39.44 PM

add a trigger for each teleporter. make sure they’re not visible in game. add a 1 second delay. (it can be more or less, depending on how fast you want ur river.) (it doesn’t matter where you put them.)
Screenshot 2024-01-28 9.21.23 PM

add a zone for each row of teleporters that stretches across the whole river.

wire each zone to the trigger at the start of the river. now wire those triggers to the teleporter at the start of the river.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 9.21.23 PM

wire each teleporter to it’s own trigger. make it so when player teleported here, trigger.
now, wire that trigger to the next teleporter. make it so when triggered, teleport player here.
it’ll look something like this.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 9.25.13 PM

now all you have to do is do that 30 times!!! : D (/j)

this is optional, but you put a zone at the end of the waterfall to make it a deadly waterfall. all you have to do is wire the zone to a end game and you’re done!

if you made it to the end, congrats! a heart would be greatly appreciated. as always, thank you for reading, and have a good rest of you’re day/night !!

5 Likes

You might want to fix this, but nice guide!

Forcing player movement can be difficult:

Also, idk if this is a mistake, but:

2 Likes
difficulty poll
  • 1/10
  • 2/10
  • 3/10
  • 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
  • 10/10
0 voters
1 Like

ah, thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

great guide! hehe waterfall go boom!!

1 Like

fyi you might want to make it vertical because that horizontal waterfall doesn’t give the water falling and crashing [down] effect

also i changed the difficulty because this isn’t that hard, it’s just overlapping semi-transparent barriers

2 Likes

its meant to be the river above the waterfall, or before the water falls, (like off a cliff.)
also, i think its a little more complicated than overlapping transparent barriers, and 0/10 is for art guides. did you even read the whole guide? (not trying to sound rude at all!)

Don’t barrier count as devices?

1 Like

yes, but in this case, it’s being used for designing purposes, hence why i put it into the ‘design’ category.

Okay understandable Speedy

1 Like

shouldn’t we see the water falling?

1 Like

like i said, this is the water before it falls off the cliff, or the river above. there’s already a guide on how to make the falling part of the waterfal., i wanted this guide to go more in-depth beforehand, where the player is getting sucked into it. do you think i should add the falling part?

sure, why not?

1 Like

Kat-Potato bump! :potato: :cat2: I like da waterfall btw, brings vibe :musical_note:

2 Likes