How to make a dialogue system! [Difficulty 3/10 or 🟩 ]

Hello! Welcome to my guide! Here’s what you need:

• A prop/sentry of your choice
  • A button
  • Popups
  • Wires
  • Confidence
Step 1

Place down the thing you want to have a chat with.
( I just picked a barrel bc why not)
Screenshot 2023-11-29 102346

Step 2

Place a button down and edit these settings to however you like. (Don’t make the button send on a channel though!)
Screenshot 2023-11-29 102506
**P.**S. Make sure the "Active Scope" setting is set to player. You wouldn’t want everyone to know you were talking to something! :laughing:
Screenshot 2023-11-29 102521

Step 3

Place a Popup and change the header text to the thing you’re talking to, and the context text to what they first say to you. (Don’t make the Popup open on a channel though.)
Screenshot 2023-11-29 104007
The reason is because we will connect the button and Popup with a wire. It should look like this.
Screenshot 2023-11-29 104217

Step 4

Change the call to action labels to whatever you want. (The secondary call to action label is optional.)
Screenshot 2023-11-29 104545

Step 5

Place another Popup down. Lets say this Popup will open when the first call to action is clicked. You MUST connect the first Popup to the one you just put down. I don’t know what happens if it’s the other way around, but it’ ll probably break something.
Screenshot 2023-11-29 104838

If you added a secondary call to action, repeat this step and set the wire to "Secondary call to action clicked"

Step 6

Take your second Popup and edit this however you want. What you want the thing to say is up to you. You can leave the header text or context text blank if you want.
Screenshot 2023-11-29 134725

Again, if you added a secondary call to action, just repeat this step.

Step 7

You can repeat step 5 if you want more dialogue, but if you want to end it you can just set the call to action as 'goodbye’ or something. That way when the player selects it, it just makes the player stop talking to them.
Screenshot 2023-11-29 135153

And you’re done! Great job! If you can, please vote on how difficult this is. :smile:

(Extra)

Confused about all the bolded letters? It’s called Bionic Reading! You can learn about what it is right here! https://www.howtogeek.com/807981/what-is-bionic-reading-and-how-do-you-use-it/

How difficult was this?

• 1/10
  • 2/10
  • 3/10
  • 4/10
  • 5/10
  • 6/10
  • 7/10
  • 8/10
  • 9/10
  • 10/10
0 voters

god i’m tired

5 Likes

nice guide!

That bionic reading stuff honestly slows me down. I’m fast normally, but it kinda hurts me eyes trying to read the bionic stuff.

2 Likes

This is really cool! I like the concept of both the guide and the Bionic Reading!

2 Likes

Wonderful Guide, Bionic Reading, Perfect

Nice job, @vqnillaxx!

sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Why does this need the @RPG tag?

i dont know anymore

Than remove it! Not all RPG’s have a dialoge system.

k

One last thing, this: “Barrel” in step 3, would look better like this: “Barrel:”
Just a suggestion!

Your poll is broken and allows multiple answers.

Otherwise, nice guide!

i tried to fix it but idk how

change the 2 after ‘max=’ to a 1

Screenshot 2023-11-29 191102

hmm, well then I guess not.

bump.

4 Likes

I just got into GKF and bumped into this guide.

1 Like

:nerd_face: actually, if you bumped into a guide, it would be on the GKF not GKC.

1 Like