How to change the background

Let’s say that you’re making a game with one major background, and you don’t want to waste all of that time OR memory laying down all of the terrain to make your background. What if I told you that there was a faster, much more efficient way of doing this?
By changing the background all at once, you save time AND memory by not having to lay down EVERY SINGLE TERRAIN TILE. Here’s how to do that:

Step 1. Open Up The Game
Notice how when you make a game, the background’s automatically grass? We can change that!
This is what we don’t want to do:

Step 2. Open the ‘Options’ Menu
Next, you want to open the options menu.

Step 3. Click ‘Map Options’
This should be the first option.

Step 4. Change The Background
Here’s what we’ve been waiting for: the moment where YOU change the background. Hit the top options when you open the Map Options screen, and you can change it to ANY TERRAIN AVAILABLE. (I’ve used Dark Scraps).

Step 5. Success
Success! You have changed the background for your game, and have saved a whole lot of time and memory!

*Note: You will still have to use terrain for walls and/or other backgrounds/floors, but this will save you a LOT of time.
*Note-2: I can only include one image since I’m a new user, sorry.

3 Likes

Nice first guide!

I like how you included as many pictures as possible! If you read around for a bit, you’ll be able to include more images! I recommend reading the FAQ, to get there, click more on the left, then FAQ! It has good rules to follow by. Also welcome to the community! Hope you have a great time here!

8 Likes
  1. Nice guide! a lot of people don’t notice this…it is very helpfull.
    2.Can i add this as guide link on my tips and tricks guide?
    3No need to apologize for not having enough images
  2. Welcome to the forums @Dfrsea !
1 Like

This guide is very good for a new user, bravo! When I was making my first map, I didn’t know that this option existed, and I wasted a bunch of memory before I found the option.

1 Like

didn’t see this here, and this is good for a new user! and yes, i mean this, just look at my first guide lol

(@unavailible can you check dod padlet?)

(@mysz go to thingy 2.0 please)

(@Cellofive if you leave, people are gonna raid your email and i know that for a fact)

1 Like

Thank you so much!
Yes, you may link this.

2 Likes

Welcome @Dfrsea :smiley: :upside_down_face:

sunflower peeps need the dod password if you want them to help you with da raid

yeah uhhhhhhh, discord got it covered and it’s not the email thing (@Cellofive don’t isolate yourself, i did that once and almost uhhhh, you-know-what myself and it was just 3 days in)

btw, give me a screenshot of the poll about me joining sunflower plz

editL @Blackfox45666, just tell me if i made it into sunflower or not when the results come
@Gimkit101, the rewards hall is whenever someone says something good about the game

2 Likes

da poll results are hidden so I cant leak info even if I wanted to

Great guide! Especially for a first one, this is well formated. Maybe add the mini-guide tag, because its a bit on the short side, but still useful.

Is this actually short? I thought it was pretty long! Also, how do you add a tag after the guide’s posted?

Also, do you know how to make the writing area bigger? It’s pretty small and is annoying me.

:o wow, lotsa thought put in this… *cheif kiss

2 Likes

Welcome to the GKC community! I look forward to seeing you around @Dfrsea !

Lol thanks
aijhieaeuihgpqareuhqpierhg (so that I can actually post this)

np, also instead of doing uaygygudegw u can put < > around it, like this < ghghghghh > (without the spaces)

1 Like

What will that do?
Let me try it…

Oh! It just… isn’t there! Awesome!
Thanks!
<Hehehe you’ll never see this!>
Oh wait. Nvm. I can only do it once, I guess.

1 Like

welcome to the forum DFrsea

You can only put lowercase letters in <>

1 Like

wait is this how you do it?
oh snap it is you can’t see it what’s the point of that?
Edit this—> <>