Device Colors/Visual Appearance. Could this help in Classification?

A lot of people don’t pay attention to the appearance of devices. However, during my attempt to make a Periodic Chart of Devices, I noticed that the group of devices with a hologram-like appearance(like waypoints) have different colors that often correlate with their main purpose. For instance, most orange devices display information. However, there are a few outliers. Here is a list of devices and their colors, and a couple of things we can discuss. For simplicity, I will refer to the hologram-like devices as “HoloDevices.”

Brown - (Devices that can manage certain mechanics) Tag Zone(HoloDevice), Repeater, Movement Meter, Inventory Item Manager, Laser Beam Manager, Knockout Manager

Orange - (Things that display information/Text)- Waypoint, Game Overlay, Popup, Notification, Property, Starting Inventory, End of game Widget

Pink - (Things that interact with something on behalf of certain player(s) Lifecycle, Relay

Blue - (Things that interact with Gimkit Mechanics) Checker, Health Granter, End Game, Respawn, Speed Modifier, Team Switcher, Damage Boost

Misc. - (Any other mechanics that the player can interact with/don’t fit into the above categories- Tag Zone, Sentry, Flag, Zone, Flag Capture Zone, Questioner, Laser Beam, Camera View, Vending Machine, Text, Button, Teleporter, Trigger, Item Granter, Counter, Barrier, Item Spawner, Checkpoint, Crafting Table

Other:

1: If a whole color group is in bold I’m confused about what to categorize that color group as. If only a few devices out of a group are in bold I don’t know why they fit into that category.

2: How could I use this in creating my periodic table?

3: Do you think the colors the devices are sorted in are intentional by the devs?

4: Could this potentially help in organizing/categorizing devices?

Sorry for taking nearly half a year to make a post in every category the large amount of questions and information. I hope this is useful in a way.

33 Likes

This is pretty cool!

3 Likes

For 2, you could put the like devices into blocks like they are on the actual table. Wait, what if the color is closer to the state of master than the use?

4 Likes

Just a hunch, can you check how each of these devices can be wired? (Can start/end a wire?)

3 Likes

Wow! This is neat! I didn’t realize that the different colors could possibly mean something.

3 Likes

Oh wow, this is pretty interesting!

3 Likes

I do believe a previous user posted something like this as well, but they were very vague and very rude on the post, and were banned as a result.

Also which devices are in italics?

3 Likes

I made them bold so it is easier to see. I’m confused about the starting inventory and checker.

7 Likes

I marked them as devices that interact with something on behalf of certain player(s)

7 Likes

Just checked, every blue device (except the checker) cannot start a wire, but they can finish one.

10 Likes

Sorry for repeating myself but this is actually really interesting. I never thought about colors corresponding with specific details. Nice job!

5 Likes

Navy, just to clarify, you made sure that all of the devices listed are that color?

2 Likes

Yep. I haven’t added the new devices though, I’ll do that now

7 Likes

Alright, thank you. I think that the checker is miscolored, but I’ll finish the research tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Whoops.

2 Likes

Pretty cool, in a tandem with the Scientific Names of All Devices

1 Like

Thanks! The classification I’m trying to do is based more on chemistry than biology.

7 Likes

Isn’t the End-of-Game widget orange? It can display information

2 Likes

Maybe the gadgets that don’t fit with the rest of the group are placed with other mismatches in a “miscellaneous” category? (Sort of like Hydrogen on the Periodic Table, but not really. Maybe those gadgets could be arranged in a way similar to the Lanthanides and Actinides on the Periodic Table?)

1 Like

A small but interesting observation:
look at the circled parts
the small orbs, they fly upwards at different rates for different devices (probably)

4 Likes