Cheese's Guide to Choosing Your Own Adventure (Choose Your Own Adventure Game) [Difficulty: TBD] [WIP]

Introduction

If you grew up in an old-school family, chances are you’ve seen one of these books:
This is a Choose Your Own Adventure book, a franchise popular from the late 70s all the way into the 90s. What made these books special was that the reader could choose where they wanted the story to go at certain points by deciding between 2 options, and then turning to the page given, like this:
If you decide to take the left door, turn to page 32.
If you decide to take the right door, turn to page 20.
These books gave the reader a sense of choice in what they were reading, and there were usually about 20 or so endings. The reason I’m discussing these books is because I want to bring the fun and excitement of these books to Creative.

Main Content

Something the books captured really well was emphasizing the effects of your decisions. Rather than having the reader make a choice that’s just done and over with, the choices you made usually changed the outcome of the entire story, which is what really made the books themselves fun and re-readable. But how do we capture this in GKC? Well, one way is to reverse engineer the story. Start by creating the beginning of the story, and then the different positive and negative endings, and then working your way backwards from the endings to tie in choices that lead the player to each ending. But why work backwards? Something that you might find difficult to do if you start from the beginning is that you’ll end up with a lot of decisions that will lead into the same place, so if you have your endings, you can get an idea of where the decisions take a turn.

For example, here we have 10 endings set up in a row, and then we have the starting scenario.

Let’s add some choices.

Add some more, maybe toss in some ‘dead ends’ or have more than one path to an ending?

Eventually, you’ll make your way back to the beginning, and you end up with sort of a ‘web’ of decisions and dead ends.

7 Likes

AWESOME!!!

3 Likes

I think this will be a neat guide, good luck :slight_smile:

Also, you are so right to say to work backwards!

Are you planning to use pop up’s, or buttons?

Also @leo_flowers thanks for adding me to the cool people list lol

3 Likes

Just so you know, the wip isn’t used. Nice guide tho. What do you prefer? People writing “nice guide” or people just liking it?

2 Likes

What is the wip tag used for?

Oh! nice guide! I never thought such as a book would be able to help with something like thiss!

1 Like

I think a Banner popup would probably be what i’ll do.

3 Likes

Work-In-Progress, it means i’m not done yet.

1 Like

Cool. I tend to use banners for dialogue, modals for story line…

(Also the wip thing was in response to @GimSolver saying you don’t use that, :blush: )

1 Like

Kat potato BUMP hehhehe :slight_smile: :potato: :cat2:

I chose to BUMP!

1 Like

I used to love these books! BUMP

1 Like

(wow, this is amazing! great planning and setup for ur game mode, really love the amount of effort u put in to think about the whole thing :slight_smile:

also, i really like how u included examples for each step too, it makes it all very clear and understandable :D)

just a reminder (and also for ur viewers to see ;)), u mentioned in the intro that u’d like to see “Choose your Own Adventure” style game mode in Gimkit Creative right?

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this!
As for the reminder, I meant to say I’d like to see a CYOAG type map, not a whole game mode. Would be an interesting idea for a gamemode, though!

:cheese: Leo cheese bump :cheese: Sorry if you hate cheese… maybe a :cat2: bump…?

1 Like

Will you ever finish this?

No, sadly. However,if someone wanted to make the rest, they have my permission.

2 Likes