A Beginner's Guide on the 5 Devices You Should Use in Your Map!

My first guide ever WooHoo :partying_face:! Now, when I first started making a GKC map, I was extremely confused about the devices, and how they worked. To make sure those newbies don’t get confused again, I made this guide! [Keep in mind that these devices are the ones that I use the most.]
Screenshot 2024-09-28 10.22.18 AM

The Devices
Spawn Pad

Every game needs a Spawn Pad!
The spawn pad is used to coordinate where and when the player spawns. Now, if you don’t use the spawn pad, you would spawn in the middle of the game map. The spawn pad can be used to make lobbies.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 9.50.54 AM
Inside of the Spawn Pad’s mechanics, you can customize who and when can spawn at the spawn pad.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 9.52.12 AM
Every good game has a Lobby! To make a Lobby, set the spawn pad’s use phase to Pre-game. And to make player spawn at a certain place in-game, set use phase to Game.

Lifecycle

The Lifecycle transmits when an event happens! A handy device that is used to send messages when the game starts. There are several events that you can transmit on when they happen.

For example, if you were making a PvP map and you want the player to become a spectator when they are are knocked out, you would say <When Player Knocked Out,> Transmit <Whatever you want the channel to be called,> and switch team to <Specific team [Spectator]> (use the team switcher device).

Property

Now, let me introduce you to the almighty…
Property!
:tada: This is the device that links your score and actual things you did in the game!
The property isn’t that sophisticated when you actually think about it. But for those people who don’t want to think, let me explain. Imagine property as the amount of things you own in the game. Here is an example: for instance, imagine I buy a house in the game. B00m! In my Property, my owned house number is one, because I bought 1 house. (this house property example needs to be linked to a counter.) Now, let me show you how it works.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 10.56.09 AM
So when I click the button, I increase the counter. And in the counter, I go to property and click “Update property-> yes” and click on the lower box and fill it with <Name of property Here,> And in this instance, the Property kind would be number. To link this with the score in-game, click on map options-> score-> score type-> Property. Score property-> [name of property here]
It should work like this:

Overlay

This Device is used in many GKC Don’t Look Down games to make the “Respawn” button in the corner.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 11.10.13 AM
There are 3 versions of the overlay:

The text version is used to make objectives.
Screenshot 2024-09-28 11.28.01 AM
The button version is a button that always stays on your screen (unless you use channels)
Screenshot 2024-09-28 11.36.07 AM
The tracked Item version (used in the questioning system and energy system in Don’t Look Down:
Screenshot 2024-09-28 11.37.02 AM

Trigger

The trigger can be used in many different ways! You can build timers and/or just use them to popup the instructions when you enter a certain area (I mean you can use the zone, but the trigger is more memory-efficient)
Screenshot 2024-09-28 11.43.42 AM
For how to make timers, consult How to create a timer, the Kormorantian way!

Extra:
Workin’ on the extra :notes:

Did this guide help you?

• Yes
  • Kinda
  • No
0 voters
4 Likes

great guide! @NPC_da_CPU it’s a miniish one

3 Likes

This is a good guide, reminds me of my first guide!
Good job, keep working, if you want to, that is.

1 Like

This isn’t a tug.

Great first guide! This will help beginners! :smile:

4 Likes