Variables are more useful than you think (A brief guide on Variable Translation)

Wow. Incredibly easy.

I read some stuff above and I agree with GimSolver. There’s a lot of different guides but there are only 4 categories. Do you think it’s too off topic to share my ideas on the forum?

I think it’s fine as long as you don’t go on for 3 or more replies.

Counter argument: Variables can’t be saved, but they can be set, so just have them be set to the property to save pieces when possible

I’m pretty sure that this implies that it could also store stuff.

I know this isn’t the most useful guide, but I just wanted to bring the topic of Variable Translation to light because it could save a lot of space when possible.

1 Like

Ik. Variables are useful when you use them correctly. But almost no one does.

1 Like

What I meant by switching it out is having the first block set the variable to hold the value of the property, essentially cloning the value of the property at that time

what’s your ideas?

Yeah. That works if you use it twice.

Right, one in and one out.
In = Property to Variable
Out = Edited Variable back to Property

Is this is a better form of the example in the topic? abc would broadcast on a channel when the value changes, and triggers would set the actual property values to match the variables in the code by extracting each letter’s value.

Not really, since you don’t need the variables. Just set the property to everything plus one.

It saves 6 pieces, though. Think about it on a larger scale.

No it doesn’t lol. Try using properties and see.

But the scenario is that each property has a different value, say there’s something that upgrades multiple ‘stats’ at once.

Why do you store it as a text?

So then to update the individual properties, they can extract certain characters when abc is changed rather than having to be updated themselves.
Essentially, abc as a whole is more of a data bank, and the individual characters are what are being implemented. That way, a long string of characters can take the place of a long string of property + 1’s

bump!

You know- it’s not a good idea to name it something like variable translation. It confuses people, and it’s better to refer to this as just using variables, since that’s what is the generally accepted term for this stuff.

It also lowers to jump to more technical and complex gimkit, since the terminology is closer to the same on both levels.

An example of this is when I saw someone pointing out some “variable translation” and I had no idea what they were talking about.

2 Likes