[📜] The Ultimate Guide to Abstract Concepts and Strategic Game Design

Game Design

Game Balance:

(Subcategories)

Progression:

• Progression System One: “Tiered Challenge System”

This is one of the more common progression systems, usually found in other games too! For example, simulator games on Roblox, and many RPGs. This system primarily relies on presenting the player with a sequence of increasingly difficult challenges, tasks, or stages, often with commensurate rewards. Some of the key features of this system are:

• Increasing Difficulty:
    The essence of a Tiered Challenge System lies in progressively increasing the level of challenge. This could be through tougher enemies, more complex puzzles, or simply larger numbers of challenges
  • Rewarding Progress: Rewards are critical to player motivation. Rewards should be proportional to the challenge and feel meaningful to the player. These can be new items, access to new areas, or simple boosts for the player’s health or power.
  • Visual Progress Indicators: Progress Indicators show players how far they’ve progressed, and how much is left to overcome which gives a sense of achievement or anticipation.

Practical Steps for Building a Tiered Challenge System:

1. Design the Structure: Plan out the levels or stages of your system, including the specific challenges and corresponding rewards.
  2. Implement the Challenges: Use devices to add the challenges to your game. This will involve a mix of different devices based on the nature of your challenges.
  3. Test and Refine: Try out the progression system yourself, and consider inviting others to test it too. Look for areas that are too easy, too hard, or not engaging enough, and adjust as necessary.

• Progression System Two: Skill Tree Evolution System

The “Skill Tree Evolution System” is another well-recognized and engaging style of progression observed in various games, particularly strategy and role-playing ones. This system is based on a so-called “skill tree” or “tech tree” where players unlock new abilities, features, or enhancements based on their choices and game progress.

Key Components of a Skill Tree Evolution System:

• Branching Choices: The essence of a Skill Tree Evolution system is that player’s choices will dictate the progress direction. This could involve selecting a character class or type, deciding on weapon specializations, or choosing certain research or development paths.

• Incremental Upgrades: Upgrades, which give a steady progression pace, should feel significant and impactful, allowing the player to experience the difference in their gameplay as they unlock new skills or items.

• Balancing Variety and Power: A well-designed skill tree offers a variety of paths for progress, but it’s important to ensure that no single path is overly powerful or advantageous over the others.

Practical Steps for Building a Skill Tree Evolution System:

1. Outline the Skill Tree: Draft the structure of your skill tree, detailing the different paths and the specific abilities, features, or enhancements that players can unlock.

2. Implement the Skill Tree: Use Gimkit Creative devices and block code to create the skill tree in your game. This will require a strategic mix of devices and code to fulfill the system’s objectives.

3. Test and Refine: Play-test your system yourself, and consider inviting others to test it too. Pay attention to whether any paths seem disproportionately powerful or weak, and adjust as necessary.

Engagement:

Player-Environment Engagement

When creating a game, something that a lot of developers tend to leave is letting the player be able to interact with their environment without it being directly related to the main story, for example, you could add a television that is able to be turned on and off. It doesn’t do anything to progress the story, but it’s a fun little detail and lets the player interact with their environment and have engagement where there otherwise might not be.

Player-Story Engagement

Since the beginning of the game industry, being able to put the player in the scenario of the character they’re playing as has been a key element to good game and story design. Sadly, though, some games nowadays just slap a generic name or a franchised character onto a first person perspective game and don’t add any insight as to why the character acts how they do, or how they met any of the other characters. In other words, something essential to good Player-Story Engagement is a solid backstory.

Player-Player Engagement

In multiplayer games, a lot of the fun comes out of engagement, whether it be a new function, or an interesting secret area that you can explore with your friends, or even just a good-looking map, if the players want to play the game, that’s a good sign of engagement, especially if they want to play the game with each-other.

Design:

(Subcategories)

Collaboration

Concepts

AUO:

You can add more categories.

User Roles:

11 Likes

Hm. Nothing. Ok.

added 1 progression style, i might add another one which might be more obscure

Would an example of Tiered Challenge System be One Way Out?

1 Like

yup!

1 Like

actually, should i add a rarer progression style, another common progression style, or something else?

• Add a Rarer Progression Style
    • Add a Common Progression Style
    • Add to Game Balance
    • Add to Engagement
    • Add to Design
    • Complete Collaboration
    • Complete AUO
    • Create a new Concept (would be difficult)
0 voters
3 Likes

What is the difference between collab and collab-post

2 Likes

I think they didn’t notice that collab-post exists or forgot about it. I’ll switch it back to collab-post. Nvm someone did it already

2 Likes

tree

3 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

3 Likes

Off topic.

3 Likes

Guys, please don’t start the blank message chain…

Yall don’t want to get banned, like me, right?

3 Likes

It’s not blank. Quote my whole post.

2 Likes

Bruh, i can’t quote. Plus, we’re now on off-topic.

2 Likes

Reply to the blank message and click on the speech bubble next to the bold button

Bye I guess

2 Likes

@here Speaking of that, when are we gonna get leaders?
https://forum.creative.gimkit.com/badges/4/leader
I tried asking the mods, but they didn’t respond.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think any time soon.
If they do, it would be very rarely, as leaders have so much power in the forum.

2 Likes

Yeah. Pin? Close? Unlist? Archive? Merge? Split? Dang.

3 Likes