[ 📜 ] The Beginner's to Gimkit Creative Part 2 (Length Warning!)

The Ultimate Guide to Gimkit Creative and Forums

All codes are inactive

Intro: When I first started Gimkit Creative (GKC), I took the tutorial. Which wasn’t helpful. At all. No offense to Josh or Jeffo, but there is so much more to creating a game than just knocking out a sentry to end the game :man_facepalming:. They never explained vending machines, blockcode, or any of the other devices. After that I found Forums. If you didn’t know forums makes you write in HTML format, which has so many cool features to format posts such as <big> to make text big and `TEXT HERE` to make look like blocky-ish for scripting code. I also talk about what makes a good post, what flagging is, and how to gain Trust Levels.

Guides:
[ :scroll: ] The Beginner’s to Gimkit Creative Part 1 (Length Warning!)
[ :scroll: ] The Beginner’s to Gimkit Creative Part 2 (Length Warning!)

I can’t believe I posted another one already! It must be like I spent a long time writing that, it told me it was too long, so I copied and pasted it into a second guide. Hmmmmmmm.

Chapter 3: Intermediate Coding

Part 1: Devices (2)

Before, you had studied up on Starting and Interaction Devices. Now, I want you to take a peek at all the devices. Take note of any setting that say channel or scope because these are the concepts we will be looking into.

One device that is super important to look into is the property! It has so many functions with blockcode. Its description even says Core device used to store data used in blocks

After you are done reading all of these devices, I suggest taking a break before moving on as you probably look like this :melting_face:

Part 2: Channels

To quote josh from the Help Documents: It’s the wireless version of wires. Yup, we are now talking about channels.

Uses

Channels essentially have the same functions as wires, to create an input/output system.

When this happen; transmit on channel Channel.

When receiving on channel Channel; do this.

Pro-s[1]:

• Use less memory

• Looks cleaner

• Saves time

• Long Distance; wires tend to look wonky stretched all the way across your map

Cons:

• Can get confusing when you have a map with 50+ channels

• Bad for one-time use systems’

• People who are more visual can’t grasp them

The Concept

Say each device in your game is a room full of people. Whenever a wire does its job, it is like one person talking to a small group. One person talks, 1-6 people receive, 1-6 people act. Whenever a channel does its job, it is like one person announcing to a whole room. One person talks, everyone receives, x amount of people acts. That x represents any number of devices that will receive on that channel.

Channels vs. Wires

My take on the situation: Use wires for one-time things. Like a button that opens a pop-up. Use channels for running blockcode or for multi-time things. Like a button granting cash and taking fish.

Comment your take down below and I will add it!

Part 3: Scope

Scope is (according to josh) one of the trickiest things to understand. First though we need to understand Device State.

Device State

Device State applies to Dynamic Devices (not the terrain)[2]. Whenever a Dynamic Device changes, its State changes. Such as a counter. Its state can be any integer. A barrier’s state can be on or off.

The Concept

Scope determines who the Device State changes for. Global scope means the Device State will be the same for everyone. Team scope means the Device State will be the same for everyone on the same team. For example, using a counter, the number could be 5 for Team one and 8 for Team two. Player scope means the Device States will be different for every player. For example, using a counter, the number could be 3 for me, 9 for Kosm0-o, 2 for Cellofive, and 6 for WolfTech.

Imagine that people are devices. One person will send a text message (representing a channel), if it is globally scoped, it is like he is sending out an alert that all people will get that is exactly the same. If it is team scoped, it is like sending a message to a group chat. If it is player scoped, it is like texting a single person.

Tutorial

In this tutorial we will be making:

Now that we have learned channels, try to avoid using wires!

• Creating a 4-team system that shows allies and enemies

• Create a Capture the Flag map with Flags and Capture zones for each team

• A Tag system that only allows people to tag in their own areas.

• Make a property that tracks Flags captured for each team

• Create a score based on Flags Captured and is named Flags Captured.

Step 1: Team System

We have made a lot of team systems! Can you try to make it yourself? If needed here are the instructions:

First we need to go into “Team Map Options” and set “Teams” to Specific Team Amount and set the number to 4.

Can you find the ally indicators and the ene-my[3] indicators settings? Switch them to On.

Step 2: Creating a Map

First build a map as big as you want with 4 different zones. I made mine with a Vortex Zone, an Echo Zone, a Fishtopia Zone, and a Farmchain Zone. Here is an image of my map. Mine is small but, you can make it bigger with more props to make gameplay more interesting.

:thinking: What props would you add to each area?

Step 3: Flags

We need to place a flag in each area. Now go into the flag settings. :thinking: What is the first setting should we edit? Give each flag a color based on the area. For Vortex, I did black. For Echo, I did white. For Fishtopia, I did blue. For Farmchain, I did orange

Next, we need to decide which team is in which area. I did Vortex as Team 1, Echo as Team 2, Fishtopia as Team 3, and Farmchain as Team 4. For the setting called “Team Flag”, what do you think we should set the number to? The number should be whatever Team’s area that Flag is in (ie. Vortex Flag will be 1, Echo will be 2, etc.)

For each area, you will need 3 capture zones. You need a capture zone for each of the ene-my[4] flags. So in the Fishtopia area, you need a capture zone for White, Black, and Orange Flags. Make sure to stack and align them perfectly.

Vortex Capture Zone Colors - White, Blue, and Orange

Echo Capture Zone Colors - Black, Blue, and Orange

Farmchain Capture Zone Colors - Black, Blue, and White

Now any team can capture flags here… How can we fix this :thinking:. With 3 different devices. First create a barrier over each Flag Capture Zone. Have it deactivate when receiving on Team [TEAM AREA]. TEAM AREA = The team number of whatever area they are in. If they are in Fishtopia, it will deactivate on Team 3.

Next place a Lifecycle. Have it transmit on Game Start when Game Start happens. Now place 4 relays. Each relay should have an audience of All players on specific team. There should be a relay for each team (ie. Team 1-4). The relay should receive on Game Start. It should broadcast on Team 1 or Team 2 or Team 3 or Team 4[5].

Step 4: Tagging

Get 4 tag devices. Since we want teams to only be able to tag in their area, we should set “Device Size” to Zone instead of Entire Map. Click Change Size and have it stretch across one area. :thinking: What team should be able to tag here? Whatever team’s flag that area is for (ie. In the Vortex Zone, the tagging team should be 1) Do this for every area.

Step 5: Tracking Flags Captured

Do you remember how we had the Captures Zones transmit on Flag Captured? Well now we need to make a counter that will increment on Flag Captured. :thinking: Think back to the concepts we learned. How do we make this so the number will be different for every team? Set the scope to team . Now we have to have this counter update on a property :look: do you see a settings for that? Good! Now change “Update Property” to Yes and set the Property to Flags Captured.

Hmmmmm. What do we do next? Let’s add the property. Try to fill in the settings on your own.

Name: Flags Captured

Type: Number

Default: 0

Scope: Team

Did you get that? Good!

Step 6: Spawning In

In each area, add a spawn pad that only that area’s team can spawn in. (ie. For the Fishtopia area, set Allowed Team to 3.)

Step 7: Scoring

We have made a lot of scoring systems! Can you try to make this one on your own?

Score Type = Property

Property Name = Flags Captured

Score Name = Flags Captured.

Nice job! Let’s move on to the DIY.

DIY

For this DIY you must:

• Create a Free For All system

• Make a system that allows the player to start with a weapon of your choice

• Create a map (use any theme you want!)

• Create a system that has turns the player to a spectator when they get knocked out five times.

• Create a property that tracks the amount of times the player has knocked out.

• Create a score system based on Dea-ths[6] that scores players from Lowest to Highest

• Bonus! Create an energy system like in Tag: Dominion.

Try to do this on your own. If you need help read the hints OR reread what we have learned.

Hints

Hint 1: Is your map feeling plain? Add some props that fit the theme, or add some props that have NO collision that players can hide under.

Hint 2: For the system that has turns the player to a spectator when they get knocked out five times use a knockout manager that decrements a counter every time a player gets knocked out. When the counter reaches a target value of 0, transmits on 5 De-aths[7]. When a Team Switcher receives on 5 De-ath[8] use a set Specific Team to Spectators.

Hint 3: For the property that tracks the amount of times the player has knocked out. Have a counter that increments when a player gets knocked out. Have this update a property called Dea-ths[9].

Chapter 4: Difficult Coding

Part 1: Basic Blockcode

We are beginning to learn some blockcode! First things first here are the devices that can store code:

• Trigger

• Item Granter

• Text

• Knockout Manager

• Inventory Item Manager

• Popup

• Notification

• Tag Zone

• Questioner

• Game Overlay

Block Order

First thing we need to understand is Block Order and Connectors vs. Connecting Blocks. Let’s look at this blockcode that I made:

The Law of Block Order states that blocks will run in order from top to bottom. So in this system,

1. The System runs the If Statement first

2. If it is true, it will then set the property

3. Broadcast Message on Channel

4. Set the second property

1. The System runs the If Statement first

2. If it is false, it will the broadcast message on Channel.

Now lets talk about

The “Connector Block" is a block that connects blocks to each other.

Look at the indent at TOP of the block, and not at the side of the block

The “Connecting Block" is a block that relies on other blocks to work.

Look at the indent at the SIDE of the block, and not at the top of the block

Now we are going to start with some basic blockcode. I will be introducing 2 of the most basic blocks:

• Set Property

• Broadcast message on Channel

Set Property/Value

When we use a counter to update a property, it can only increment it by one every time. If we want to quickly set a number to a property then we can use this block.

The top part is where you will put the name of the property.

If they property is a true/false property you can place the true/false block on the value section:

If they property is a text property you can place the text block on the value section:

If they property is a number property you can place the number block on the value section:

Broadcast Message on Channel

We can use this block to broadcast a message on a channel of our choice. Why not just use a trigger or a button, you may ask. Well, in later sections you can transmit on a channel using a RNGs[10]. Also, due to the Laws of Block Order you can set it run after you set a value of a property. So if you want to run a check on Silver property after the property updates, you could use this system:

Now it will update Silver and then broadcast on Channel to run a checker.

That’s all for the Basics of Block code.

Part 2: Advanced Blockcode

If you look at the blockcode menu, you will see there are 5 subcategories:

• Essentials

• Logic

• Math

• Text

• Variables

First we are going to talk about Text blocks and Essentials blocks.

Essentials Blocks

More times than not, when you use blockcode you will be using these blocks, hence the name essentials.

Get Property

This block finds a property in game, and then uses the property value for whatever system it is running.

The two most common situations of this is Logic Statements:

This is basically asking Is the value of property "Bob" equal to 5?

or adding in text:

This is saying Silvers Owned: [Value of Property "Silver"]

Triggering Player Blocks

These blocks store the name, the team number, or the score of the player that triggers the blockcode. So if Paul triggers the blockcode, the value of the block is Paul.

This is most common way this is used is with text:

If Paul triggered this blockcode it would say Paul triggered this blockcode!

If Paul (who is on team one) triggered this blockcode it would say Team 1 is triggering some blockcode.

If Paul (who has 21 points) triggered this blockcode it would say Paul has a score of 21!

Add Activity Feed Blocks

These blocks will create Activity Feed. Let me guess. You don’t know what activity feed is. Go zoom out you browser to 80% and go play One Way Out or Don’t Look Down. Did you notice it in the bottom left area?

These blocks are used with Get Property and Text blocks:

If Paul (who has knocked out 7 people) triggers this it will say Paul has knocked out 7 people!

Get Score of Team

This block gets the score of a team. If you don’t supply it with a specific team number afterwards it will just say 0. Always place a Team Number at the end like so:

I don’t use this block very much, however I guess it would be useful for Activity Feed, showing the players a score that a specific team has.

If Team 1 has 74 points it would say Team 1 has a score of 74

Text Blocks

Text blocks deal with creating words to be displayed in-game. Whether that be writing out your own text or getting it from a property, that depends.

Text Block

This block stores text in it. Type in any text you want and this block will store it. This is commonly used with Activity Feed:

When someone triggers this blockcode i will say Hello!

Create Text With Block

This block is used to combine different pieces of text together. This is most commonly used with Text Blocks and Get Property/Trigger Player Blocks, it is then attached to a Activity Feed block to broadcast.

If Paul were to trigger this blockcode it would say Paul, who is on Team 1, had knocked out 7 people helping his team get a score of 74 points

Other Text Blocks

Here are some other less useful Text Blocks:

• Length of - The amount of characters in a Text Block

• Convert Number to Text (With Commas) - Turns numbers into text :exploding_head:

• In Text Blocks - it removed certain pieces of text from a certain block of text you select

Device Blocks

These blocks are unique to each device. There are a total of _ Device Blocks.

Item Granter Blocks

• Grant Player Selected Item - Runs the item granter; granting the player the item.

• Grant Player Selected Item (Custom Amount) - Runs the item granter; uses a unique number set by the blockcode

Text (Device) Blocks

Set Text - Used with a Text Blocks, to set the text of a Text Device

Set Text Color - Sets the color of the Text Device

Knockout Manager Blocks

• Broadcast Message - Broadcasts on a Channel on the behalf of the knocked-out player

• Set Property - Sets a property on behalf of the knocked-out player

• Get Property - Gets the property of the knocked-out player

• Knocked Player’s Name - Gets the name of the knocked-out player

• Knocked Player’s Team Number - Gets the team number of the knocked-out player

Inventory Item Manager

Get Amount - Stores the amount of the Current Item number within the block

Pop-Up

Set Header - Sets the header of the pop-up

Set Context - Sets the context of the pop-up

Notification

Send Notification Title/Content - Sends the notification with a custom Title and content

Tag Zone

• If the player is the tagger it gets the team number or name of the tagged player

• If the player is the tagged it gets the team number or name of the tagger player

Questioner

• Set Message Shown When Player Answers [ ] - Yknow the message after you answer a question that says Correct! or Incorrect!? This allows you to customize it.

• Question Answered Correctly In a Row - Stores the number of answers answered correctly in a row

Game Overlay

• Set Text - Used with Text Blocks to change the text displayed on a game overlay

That wraps up our section on Advanced Blockcode!

DIY

In this DIY we will be making some devices say “Hello, World”. Whenever you code, you always want to make the code say “Hello, World!”

We will make the code say Hello World in 3 different ways:

• Make a text device say “Hello, World!”

• Make the Activity Feed say “Hello, World!”

• Make a Notification say “Hello, World!”

Hints

Hint 1: Use the Set Text block and a Text Block for “Make a text device”

Hint 2: Use the Send Activity Feed for Everyone and Text Block for “Make the Activity Feed”

Hint 3: Use the Send Notification Title/Content Block and Text Block for “Make a Notification say”

Now we can move onto some harder coding :clap: rubs hands together.

Outro: We should be finishing up Creative and starting to talk about the forums next time!

1. Ignore the - ↩︎

2. Dynamic Devices are devices that can change during game such as a counter. During the game the counter change do from 1 to 2 to 3, etc. Static Devices are devices that will never change, such as an End Game. No matter what happens during the game, that device will always end the game. ↩︎

3. Ignore the - ↩︎

4. Ignore the - ↩︎

5. One for each relay ↩︎

6. Ignore the - ↩︎

7. Ignore the - ↩︎

8. Ignore the - ↩︎

9. Ignore the - ↩︎

10. Random Number Generator ↩︎

6 Likes

how long did you spend making these guides? I mean 2 in a row! good job!

1 Like

I just posted on the last guide saying I wanted to see more- I didn’t expect to see more this fast haha. This is actually epic!

3 Likes

ikr lol. '83 loves to grind guides

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!
No! Tragedy is striking…

1 Like

Nooo
Why must you show that image
That appears in my nightmares /j

4 Likes

not just your nightmare’s, everybody’s nightmares

3 Likes

Except mine :skull:

5 Likes

I’m hoping to make The Not-Beginner's Guide to GKC when I’m done. If you look through you notice I really just brush by blocks. In that I would do a deep explanation of blocks and how to use them and device concepts such as trigger loops.

Nooooooooooooo

I was liking ClicClac’s post ):

Where’s me regular?!?!?! harumph

Kosmo

@Kosm0-o
Check Alt Discovery

3 Likes