Pseudo 3D in Gimkit?

saw that 3d map you published
how does it work?
I just use simple stuff I don’t do coding much and I’m still new to it even though I’m procrastinating learning code

when I first saw it I thought it would be like a 3d pixelized room

I don’t understand how that would work.

Without the addition of the PCD (Player Location/Coordinate Detector) we can’t reliably send out a ray to another object in which the player is looking.

We could add a Compass using about 8-12 zones to track the direction the player is looking, since the movement and look controls are the same.

Also like I said in my original comment, this is being attempted without gimhook so we cant import code from outside sources into Gimkit.

Are we doing some sort of text screen, or is the player supposed to move like in an actual game?

Moving in an actual game

What’s the concept of that?

Refer To Reply Above ^

Would something like this work. (it is shown in the images, and pay attention to the text in the images, the text is above my player)

Images

This could be used for side to side games (Story / Decision Games) to animate ray casting for sure.

Yes, we can import code from outside sources. In fact, I did it in my 3D renderer by just copying down Bresenham’s algorithm by hand.

And also, the math behind raycasting will involve simulating the camera position, so the only thing we need to do is take player inputs (eg, left right up down) and move the camera we’re simulating based on those.

Honestly, the entire principle behind making anything like this is just detecting inputs and then simulating everything.

The stuff you’re doing I think is just using a coordinate grid to figure out which way to orient the camera well simulate. Also, keep in mind there are other systems that could be used, as we could just use overlay buttons or some other system.

I thought the coordinate grid was some sort of system for raycasting, not an input system, leading to my confusion.

Sorry, no 3D room. It was quite a struggle to even get a low quality cube working lol.

A very high level overview of what I did:
- compute where all the points on the cube are
- loop over each line segment formed by the points and do the following:

- rotate and translate the two points in the line segment
- convert the points from 3D to 2D
- translate 2D points to fit on screen
- pass the points to Bresenham’s Line Algorithm
- render the line

Also, the Player Position Detector is coming out soon, so we don’t need to develop a coordinate grid, we can just use that.

Can you give us an example of the code you used?

I don’t have access to my computer at the moment, but I’ll send images when I can. But, it won’t be useful for this since raycasting and the method I used are fundamentally different.

my head hurts from the video
yeah, I ain’t helping

1 Like

So I finished the new coordinate system. It seems to be working good, and now I’ll start working on a way to calculate where the walls are and putting them on the screen.

This new camera device is going to be soooo goood for this!

you would have to figure out memory. When something is produced when enters view, it will have loaded, but say you completed an achievement in that area, how is it going to then “remember what happened.” Just sayin…

Uhhh you lost me… :sweat_smile:

How so?

I think they mean memory as in devices remembering interactions.

For the camera, if a player enters, completes lets say… walking left, then leave, how is the camera going to remember what happened?