I need your opinion

Me and @Hack3rz are working on a chill map that uses A TON of props to add detail, but on most computers the FPS slows down considerably when getting near these sections. What I want to know is, would you still enjoy a map that is high quality and detailed, but is plagued by low FPS?
(P.S. I think we broke the record for the most trees copied at one time lol.

1 Like

make the trees overlap BUT try to cover the ground using the least amount possible like this
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 9.48.56 PM

instead of this
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 9.49.13 PM

also use the bush prop

4 Likes

That is a KILLER amount of trees!

4 Likes

Like Chrysostom said, get rid of some unnecessary overlappers and maybe change size to make more “natural” variety and you can use fewer props.

6 Likes

Hey, sorry I’m late. We made the trees so densely packed because we wanted to have a natural barrier around the map. But I guess we could have just added invisible barriers in front of less dense trees. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah I think that’s the best solution
Just make a ring of trees overlapping a small but healthy amount, two or three trees thick.

1 Like

it looks great but the trees are too much to look at

2 Likes

I don’t think so
I think the trees are fine, but as others said, not worth the lag

1 Like

What does it look like now? Is there not as much lag?

I see places where two trees are on top of each other, and would look the same if you removed one. You could try thinning out those spots.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the suggestions! As you can probably guess, I haven’t been on the forums for a couple days, but I will try to use your advice on my map.

1 Like

It can look beautiful with that many trees, but your MB on your map will pile up, which when you reach the limit, you won’t be able to add more props or stuff, I still like it though :3

Opinion poll:

• High-quality and detailed but low fps
  • not detailed but high fps
0 voters

But honestly the trees are too much

Spamming props doesn’t make a game detailed. If you want a natural barrier around the map, use some sort of plot device to keep the player on the trail (like there’s monsters that will kill you if you stray off the path or something).

4 Likes

So summing up everything posted above,
Make sure the trees cover the ground the least amount possible
Change the size
Get rid of overlappers
Add invisible barriers, maybe

1 Like

Please mark a solution!

No, I would not enjoy a map thats “high quality” but have low FPS.
Gameplay should always be more important than looks.

Tips:
I highly recommend removing a lot of those trees, and flipping some of them.
You could use invisible barriers to block off some (not all) areas.
You could also use different props! A forest doesn’t need to be all trees. Logs, rocks, barrels, crates, fences, and barriers (props) would all work for blocking off parts of a forest.

4 Likes

Definitely. A forest doesn’t look realistic with only trees. You could add some emoji animals, bushes, flowers, and rocks to add to the graphics.

1 Like

Agreed, also could make the trees different sizes.

1 Like