How to make a minimap? (Displayed on the side, top left, whatever)

Should I tag this?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

I think you should build the rudimentary framework for the entire map before adding the small/medium details or mechanics into the game.

1 Like

Votes split. No change.

1 Like

There is currently no discovered way to do this yet. Team Gimkit might add a device to do that (something you’d have to suggest on nolt).

1 Like

This idea could possibly work :arrow_up_small:

1 Like

not clay institute even though it is a challenging question, minimaps are used specifically and don’t add much to other types of games

2 Likes

there is no way to detect the player moving yet. unless you use zones(triggers would work also) and have the dots be each zone

1 Like
1 Like

because this could be used widely

it is possible, but itd be weird and laggy because you’d have to calculate a lot to have a static ui on the screen while the player is moving, which nobody to my knowledge has done before

1 Like

that would probably work, but if you have a large map (like whole GKC building area big) or its an open world RPG, it would be problematic with the memory

1 Like

the way i see it, there are 2 methods to do this.
1: set up a system of game overlays with text editing capabilities / a whole lotta states, then run it off a coordinate system
which is actually not that hard when you think about it

2: set up absurd amounts of text devices so that they reposition depending on the location of the player (could be optimized with camera views)

the game overlay one is actually pretty feasible! low memory too, aside from the coords

1 Like

This sounds fun to make! Just a single game overlay and a bunch of different ways to show or hide parts of the full mini map! I’ll see what I can do!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.